SRB2 Doom Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I tried to merge Map Headers into a MAINCFG, it just plainly wiped the map headers without making a MAINCFG...

when i tried editing the MAINCFG from the past changed to the doom builder (it was where you can make the Map##D thing) but when i edited the MainCFG there was still a problem with it, when i added the file, it came up as (for example) map06 and map06D, and when i tried to play the stage, nothing was changed, i think its from the map06D thing (that i dont know how to get rid of in doom builder now)

I also just recently found out it wiped ALL the lumps off my map, as all the SCR lumps that my map should have had were now also gone too. That may have just been me but I dun wanna try that again...

Speaking of SCR lumps, maybe you could add a script editor for line exec scripts? (SCRxxxx) You could even have a prompt for when the user creates a run script line exec to edit the apperoperiate lump. This would get people to make more scripted levels I would think.

JJames19119 said:
When I tried to merge Map Headers into a MAINCFG, it just plainly wiped the map headers without making a MAINCFG...
Oo, that's nasty. I'll release another build once I've fixed it, since this is a horrible thing to leave lying in wait for the unsuspecting. I suppose I should take this opportunity to repeat the "alpha; keep backups" message. I apologise to anyone who lost data; I point you towards the automatic backups that are created by default, if you haven't checked those out already.

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
when i tried editing the MAINCFG from the past changed to the doom builder (it was where you can make the Map##D thing) but when i edited the MainCFG there was still a problem with it, when i added the file, it came up as (for example) map06 and map06D, and when i tried to play the stage, nothing was changed, i think its from the map06D thing (that i dont know how to get rid of in doom builder now)
Yes, you need to delete MAPnnD, if you've got a corresponding LEVEL n section in MAINCFG. Currently, you can't use DB to do this. Instead, you'll need to use a lump editor like Lumpmod, XWE et al. This is an oversight in the design, and indeed I'm beginning to have second thoughts about changing the header editing method in the first place. I suspect I'll reintrouce the option to edit the old header lumps, albeit with a slightly shorter menu.

EDIT:

JJames19119 said:
I also just recently found out it wiped ALL the lumps off my map
O_O That's even worse... I'm terribly sorry about that, if indeed DB did do it, which it may well have done.

Oogaland said:
Flame_the_hedgehog said:
Yes, you need to delete MAPnnD, if you've got a corresponding LEVEL n section in MAINCFG. Currently, you can't use DB to do this. Instead, you'll need to use a lump editor like Lumpmod, XWE et al. This is an oversight in the design, and indeed I'm beginning to have second thoughts about changing the header editing method in the first place. I suspect I'll reintrouce the option to edit the old header lumps, albeit with a slightly shorter menu.

can you add an option that'll let you be able to remove the MAPnnD thing in doom builder?

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
can you add an option that'll let you be able to remove the MAPnnD thing in doom builder?
I'll add an option to allow you to edit MAPnnD directly, and also delete it if desired.

I'm making progress on the disappearing MAINCFG bug at the moment, so I hope to have that fixed some time today.

EDIT:

JJames19119: After merging the headers into MAINCFG, did you try to edit MAINCFG using the script editor? And (EDIT 2), the more I think about the SCR problem, the less I think it was connected. Could you please try to reproduce the problem (on a copy of your WAD, of course...) to see if that was indeed the cause? Thanks.

Another bug.

Hi, Oogaland.

I did some testing with SRB2builder and I found some more bugs.

1) When I exported my maps into an empty wad, I had a map header in the map that I exported and guess where it went.... They got erased and I assume any other lumps that could have been with that map (like music, sound, graphics).

2) When I go to "Map Options" and rename the map from "map01" to "map02", it doesn't rename the map header lump for that map.

Thats all for now.

Sonict

Oogaland said:
JJames19119: After merging the headers into MAINCFG, did you try to edit MAINCFG using the script editor?

Yes I did, it told me there was no MAINCFG lump, which prompted me to open the map in XWE after saving it and I found out all lumps but the map lumps were totally gone.

Oogaland said:
the more I think about the SCR problem, the less I think it was connected. Could you please try to reproduce the problem (on a copy of your WAD, of course...) to see if that was indeed the cause? Thanks.

I'll go test that out now. I'll edit this post when I'm done.

EDIT: Well, I came on an interesting discovery. Yes, DB does indeed wipe out map headers without making a MAINCFG, and it also deletes any lump of type 0 that has text in it. I'm guessing it's because it thinks that those lumps are map headers too, which explains why it deleted the SCR lumps in my other map. Markers, textures and the rest are untouched.

JJames19119 said:
Yes I did, it told me there was no MAINCFG lump, which prompted me to open the map in XWE after saving it and I found out all lumps but the map lumps were totally gone.
Thanks. The bug there is actually in the script editor: MAINCFG is being created, but the script editor doesn't find it. Then, because of the way the editor works, it deletes the lump afterwards. I've fixed this one.

JJames19119 said:
EDIT: Well, I came on an interesting discovery. Yes, DB does indeed wipe out map headers without making a MAINCFG, and it also deletes any lump of type 0 that has text in it. I'm guessing it's because it thinks that those lumps are map headers too, which explains why it deleted the SCR lumps in my other map. Markers, textures and the rest are untouched.
Again, thanks. This is a separate bug to the one mentioned above. IIRC, I identified header lumps by name, but it is probably the header-stripping code that's responsible. I'll take a look.

Well actually the MAINCFG thing works if you dont have a MAPnnD from the last modification for the SRB2builder...

even though when you click into the MainCFG thing to edit your headers, it says nothing was in there, but when its loaded, its like secretly already in the WAD

r12

New build: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/s0569864/builder_srb2-r12.zip. The disappearing MAINCFG problem was due to my being an eejit, implementing as I did an optimisation to the script editor that (a) was entirely unnecessary and (b) broke it. This is fixed.

I've also fixed a bug in the map-header-stripping code that could cause certain lumps to be deleted when they shouldn't be. I don't know whether this is what was causing the SCR* lumps to be deleted, as I haven't been able to reproduce the problem myself. If the problem persits -- and it may well do -- please do let me know (and PM me the WAD if you're willing to do so), and I'll investigate further. Thanks.

The MAPnnD editing/deleting feature isn't in this build, I'm afraid, Flame. That'll be implemented next time I release a build in the normal cycle of things, which may be some time away. For now, you can use a lump editor to do that.

Re: r12

Oogaland said:
The MAPnnD editing/deleting feature isn't in this build, I'm afraid, Flame. That'll be implemented next time I release a build in the normal cycle of things, which may be some time away. For now, you can use a lump editor to do that.

well, i can wait, this build will keep me busy for a while :D

(also, thanks for accepting my idea of the Editing/deleting the MAPnnD idea)

Sonict said:
Hi, Oogaland.

I did some testing with SRB2builder and I found some more bugs.

1) When I exported my maps into an empty wad, I had a map header in the map that I exported and guess where it went.... They got erased and I assume any other lumps that could have been with that map (like music, sound, graphics).

2) When I go to "Map Options" and rename the map from "map01" to "map02", it doesn't rename the map header lump for that map.

Thats all for now.

Sonict

I quoted the above quote for you Oogaland in case you missed it.

A couple more suggestions for SRB2Builder:

1) In Sectors Mode when you select a sector and try to select an effect, the dialog box is a little small so I have to enlarge the text field to be able to see all of the text.

2) When you convert your MAPnnD lumps into the MAINCFG lump, it should tell you that it has found "X" number of lumps and display which ones that it found before it does its thing so you know that it is working.

That is all,

Sonict

Bug: Rotating a pasted sector then pasting it over linedefs doesn't join them, creating a lot of "Crossing Linedefs" errors.

Suggestion: An auto-error-fix for the ever famous "Crossed Linedefs" (It's annoying me ever since I found the rotating bug...I can't tell if a linedef is crossed or not!)

JJames19119 said:
Suggestion: An auto-error-fix for the ever famous "Crossed Linedefs" (It's annoying me ever since I found the rotating bug...I can't tell if a linedef is crossed or not!)

The "find map error" feature is really nice for finding them. And if you have so much trouble with them, why not have me fix them?

Prime 2.0 said:
JJames19119 said:

The "find map error" feature is really nice for finding them. And if you have so much trouble with them, why not have me fix them?

No thank you, I don't like handing my unfinished WADs over to complete strangers who seem over confident. >_> Besides, have you even tried it? Cross two linedefs and TRY to find it through the map error system. You'll get squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back