SRB2 Doom Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Segmint said:
You know what would be awesome? An SRB2 Wad Author, or at least an updated WCF so that the newer specials actually appear on the list, instead of editing the raw data to insert them...

T_T
WA isn't open source, so that's not really possible, unfortunately. I also think there's a newer WCF floating around, somewhere.

SRB2 Builder (the rewrite, i.e. not SRB2 Doom Builder) will support a lot of the things that WA has that are missing from DB.

Feature suggestion for SRB2 Builder: make the file locks on wadfiles optional (or don't have any at all.) Rather, at each program focus, check to see if file was modified since it was last focused on. Offer to reload the file if changes have occurred.

If file is reloaded, then load the file from the filesystem. Unsaved changes in SRB2 Builder would be lost, but it's up to the user to be responsible. If file isn't reloaded, data used by SRB2 Builder stays intact, and so does the file in the filesystem. However, once the data is saved, the newer file in the filesystem would be overwritten, rather than all sorts of weird stuff happening with newer changes, nodebuilders, and all.

Notepad++ does a particularly good job at this.

Feature suggestion: There's this really useful shortcut in SRB2DB where if you right-click and drag to move an item and you hold Shift, you're not restricted by the grid.

It only works in that one order, though: right-click first, and then press Shift. I'd like that shortcut to work both orders, i.e. if Shift is held first and then an item is right-click dragged.

Thanks!

Thanks for making SRB2 Doom Builder! If you hadn't made it, I wouldn't be editing maps! Oh, and thanks to whoever made the Doom Builder config for SRB2. Oh, by the way, would anyone happen to know of a C++ compiler that is not Dev C++?

Re: Thanks!

SML89 said:
Thanks for making SRB2 Doom Builder! If you hadn't made it, I wouldn't be editing maps! Oh, and thanks to whoever made the Doom Builder config for SRB2. Oh, by the way, would anyone happen to know of a C++ compiler that is not Dev C++?
SRB2DB is still 99% ordinary DB, which is CodeImp's work, but thank you nonetheless.

If you don't like GCC (which is the compiler that Dev-C++ uses by default), try Visual C++. You can get a free edition here.

Dark Warrior said:
http://dw.sepwich.com/images/SRB2/frigginexecutablebug.png

Basically, you can't use an alternative executable.

On the same token, it doesn't appear to add extra textures/flats wad when testing levels, which it should. It'll instead SigSev on level start.
There should be an option in the testing settings for whether the additional wad is to be included.

The first problem is a working directory problem. I don't know why it should be; all executables are treated equally by DB. At a guess, I'd say there might be a problem extracting the path from the filename, particularly if the path has spaces or elements exceeding eight-dot-three in length. I'll look into it. Thanks for reporting it.

As far as the first one goes, thank you.

The second, though, was a bit of me jumping to conclusions. It was a fault in the texture wad itself, not SRB2DB. Sorry 'bout that.

Feature suggestion: Show a linedef's direction in its info widget with all the other stuff. WadAuthor reports on this by saying something like "Linedef 10 - v10 to v11", and the mapper can find for themselves which is vertex 10 and which is vertex 11, so they know the direction like that. Perhaps you can show compass direction as well to save mappers from doing that.

Digiku said:
Feature suggestion: Show a linedef's direction in its info widget with all the other stuff. WadAuthor reports on this by saying something like "Linedef 10 - v10 to v11", and the mapper can find for themselves which is vertex 10 and which is vertex 11, so they know the direction like that. Perhaps you can show compass direction as well to save mappers from doing that.

The front-side indicator allows you to work out the direction. Do you think it would still be useful to display something like you suggest? I'd rather avoid it if possible, since adding things to the info-bar is fiddly.

Drag-and-drop is definitely a good idea, though.

Oh yeah, the indicator. That's a good point. Personally I never really got the hang of that.

It's an odd situation, linedef direction. Looking at SRB2DB's info bar, I can see what you mean. I have almost no doubt it would be useful to show the direction somehow, but I bet there are other ways to do it other than the front-side indicator. Maybe direction arrows to accompany the indicator, like so:

· ---->---T--->---- ·

But what makes it so odd is that it seems obtrusive, but making it a toggle-able option seems half-outlandish. And enabling it for scrolling specials only is really, really rigid.

Digiku said:
Oh yeah, the indicator. That's a good point. Personally I never really got the hang of that.

It's an odd situation, linedef direction. Looking at SRB2DB's info bar, I can see what you mean. I have almost no doubt it would be useful to show the direction somehow, but I bet there are other ways to do it other than the front-side indicator. Maybe direction arrows to accompany the indicator, like so:

· ---->---T--->---- ·

But what makes it so odd is that it seems obtrusive, but making it a toggle-able option seems half-outlandish. And enabling it for scrolling specials only is really, really rigid.
One possibility would be to put the direction on a tooltip. This also has the advantage of being easy to implement. ;)

The direction of a linedef is defined like so:
Code:
V1 ----T---- V2

Another idea is to show the direction on the groupbox's title. Right now, it's "Linedef 10". It could possibly read, "Linedef 10 (NW)" if you could detect a relative direction, or "Linedef 10 (v1 to v2)" otherwise.

Feature suggestion:

Not sure if anyone else(including myself) has said this yet, but I think you should display a "map" of the map while in 3D mode... like, in the corner of the screen, you would see the normal top down 2-D view of the area the camera is in. This would preferably be able to be altered(change zoom, amount of the screen the "map" takes up, where the "map" is, details shown, etc.) and toggled on the fly. This would make it far easier to navigate while in 3D mode.

r27

New build, for the first time in almost six months. Get it here (full, with installer) or here (patch from r26, no installer). Here's what's new:
Code:
! Undo had 'flip horizontally' after a vertical flip.
+ Cascade tags with an arbitrary increment.
+ Added linedef and thing flags to find/replace.
+ Added bitwise AND as an operation in find/replace.
! FOFs with a tag of zero weren't recognised.
! Less error-prone when installed in same directory as DB; still a bad idea,
  though.
! Fixed Alt+F4-ing in 3D mode.
+ Made zero-height and zero-floor-difference colouring optional.
! Some snap-to-vertices fixes. Grid-snapping no longer needs to be on, and new
  vertices won't snap to the last vertex drawn.
+ Also snap to vertices when dragging single vertices.
! Overflow when starting 3D mode if the machine has been running too long.
+ Added Async Trigger to linedef flags.
+ Added DarkWarrior's updated Things info to the config. Thanks!
! Crash when editing a FOF with an invalid colourmap.
Nothing Earth-shattering, but a few annoying bugs have been fixed, and one or two requests were implemented. Comments/suggestions/bug reports are welcome, as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back