Spirit Week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we were talking about spirit week. Then religious schools. Are we talking about evolution now?

Spirit week was pretty cool. One of the days was dress up like a nerd. We all had hilarious clothes and glasses. XD

Shut it Auto, let the spectacle continue. Kthxbai.

(1)It is. You judge me as different from you.

(2)If somebody says "I think all jews must be killed", it shouldn't be criticized? Of course opinions can be criticized, that doesn't stop you from having them.

(3)Any proof, reason, backing, anything? What makes you think there is some greater truth when truth is indeed a concept made by humans?

(4)What? Just because I have never seen these things, I can tell you they're not dinos because they are totally different. That's like saying atoms look like dogs because none of us has seen an atom yet.

(5)Just because we define truth, that doesn't mean that everything we believe fits that definition actually fits it.

(6)Nobody has ever understood how exactly gravity works yet. So we're not wrong about it, we don't know it at all. Yet.

(7)Of course the fact that it is round is scientific. Every truth is scientific. Science means nothing else than knowledge.

(8)No. Take the big bang. Before it started, the universe didn't exist. The implication that a process has to be started by something is a physical law. Physical laws only apply to the universe. Same about time. Time didn't exist before the universe.

Well, didn't something happen?

(9)If you mean God was created together with the universe, then what did he even do?

A random God out of nowhere? Really? Otherwise, see the commentary on the big bang.

(10)I just love that reasoning. Who ever said we stopped evolving? We didn't. We are still evolving, with every human that was born. For example. humans were much smaller thousands of years ago, and they also had more hair. Evolution is a very slow process, you won't see the effects in your lifetime.

(11)Why? Are you implying that just because we are the most intelligent species, we are the optimal species? Animals try to survive, who guarantees that humans won't be extinct in the future? For all we know, we might disappear in a thousand years, and apes will still exist. That just means that apes were a better concept in the long run that humans.
(1)You're not getting this...
(2)Well, it's his opinion, and it's your opinion to say that it should be criticized.
(3)Truth wasn't made by humans. The concept was, but not truth itself. Kind of like...oxygen. It wasn't made by humans, but the concept of it being air, being breatheable by humans, and the like were made by humans.
(4)Yeah, but you never got to observe dinos either. Heck, the bones might even be organized all wrong in those museums. The only way to be able to prove it is to actually see a real dinosaur. And hell, atoms actually might look like dogs! Nobody knows! They only have a model.
(5)Yep. That proves it all. Can we drop this # now?
(6)Yep. That proves it all. Can we drop this # as well?
(7)Actually, I don't really think so. I mean, grasping the meaning of science is nearly as difficult as doing the same with truth. And you're right, it may be scientific, meaning that not everybody will agree on one theory. I mean, usually if they won't agree on one theory, it is scientific. It's almost an infinite looop. It's like I'm saying, "the theory isn't scientific, but you're right."
Like, I'm looking at a plant with pink flowers, that smells like pizza(XD) with 2 other people. I say, "It's a plant." The 2nd one says, "No, it's an object that can execute photosynthesis." The 3rd one says, "Nah. Obviously it's just what I need to make my garden look sexier." We wouldn't agree on the same things; technically, however, we're all right(Except for person 3, he was kind of a joke. XD).
(8)I don't think the Big Bang started at all. I mean, all the matter in the universe couldn't have compressed and instantly have formed an entire solar system. I mean, if I had to believe in something other than Creation, this is the last theory I'd believe in.
(9)He wasn't. He created the universe. He was even before time and space(Which I don't get at all, but hey, I'm only human).
(10)Oh, so within, like, a couple thousand years, we evolve fully, but in A LOT more time than that, we're still humans. Right. And what about all those missing links in the evolutionary tree? Explain those. And nobody can comprehend where God came from, duh. We're only human.
(11)Apes? A better concept? Please. Guess who's teaching apes and monkeys to do all this space-techno stuff?
Humans.
That doesn't mean we're perfect AT ALL, but we are the dominant species, clearly.

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

Shut it Auto, let the spectacle continue. Kthxbai.
Lol you can still post...

So, we were talking about spirit week. Then religious schools. Are we talking about evolution now?

Spirit week was pretty cool. One of the days was dress up like a nerd. We all had hilarious clothes and glasses. XD

And in yet another classic example of you not getting it...

See my one post. Dress up silly, pep rally, we get it. You said nothing that hasn't been already said before. It's either we have a decent discussion or a meaningless one that's already run its course.

And in yet another classic example of you not getting it...

See my one post. Dress up silly, pep rally, we get it. You said nothing that hasn't been already said before. It's either we have a decent discussion or a meaningless one that's already run its course.
I was just thinking, what's your spirit week like at you school
By your logic, the thread was over with the first post.
I have to dress up each day.
Unless you mean the topic wasn't a good idea in the first place.

By your logic, the thread was over with the first post.

Unless you mean the topic wasn't a good idea in the first place.

Well, considering pretty much every post on Spirit Week has consisted of "I have to dress up each day," I'd have to say so. I doubt at this point somebody's going to be like "AT MY SPIRIT WEEK WE HAD THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST" or something monumentally interesting like that, so I say we just have this frankly better conversation run its course then just let the thread die.

(1)You're not getting this...
Uh yes I do. I also know what you meant. But to be precise, you are judging me in some way if you think we are opposites.

(2)Well, it's his opinion, and it's your opinion to say that it should be criticized.
That's what I mean. I have no problem with criticizing opinions, as long as I don't automatically assume that whoever has that opinion is a bad person just because I disagree.

(3)Truth wasn't made by humans. The concept was, but not truth itself. Kind of like...oxygen. It wasn't made by humans, but the concept of it being air, being breatheable by humans, and the like were made by humans.
I know what you mean. But, for example, let's assume I was the only living creature that actually exists and everything around me was just a hallucination. That would mean that you don't exist, even though I could prove the opposite. The only truth we can ever accept is the one we can prove, but that doesn't necessarily mean it actually is true.

(4)Yeah, but you never got to observe dinos either. Heck, the bones might even be organized all wrong in those museums. The only way to be able to prove it is to actually see a real dinosaur. And hell, atoms actually might look like dogs! Nobody knows! They only have a model.
Imagine we'd find a fossil of a modern dino that lived a few years ago. If we compared the bones to that of a dino that lived millions of years, we'd find that they are the same. That hasn't happened yet, unless of course they evolved into something different, in which case evolution is actually true.

(7)Actually, I don't really think so. I mean, grasping the meaning of science is nearly as difficult as doing the same with truth. And you're right, it may be scientific, meaning that not everybody will agree on one theory. I mean, usually if they won't agree on one theory, it is scientific. It's almost an infinite looop. It's like I'm saying, "the theory isn't scientific, but you're right."
The problem lies in the way you define science. Science doesn't only consist of theories that might or might not be true. Everything that we know is true is science as well. But I don't think that's really relevant for our discussion.

(8)I don't think the Big Bang started at all. I mean, all the matter in the universe couldn't have compressed and instantly have formed an entire solar system. I mean, if I had to believe in something other than Creation, this is the last theory I'd believe in.
It's not like directly after the Big Bang the universe was already fully formed. Solar systems didn't exist for a very long time, they first had to be formed.

(9)He wasn't. He created the universe. He was even before time and space(Which I don't get at all, but hey, I'm only human).
You don't "get" the concept of a God, yet you believe in it. You don't "get" the concept of the Big Bang either, yet you don't believe in that one either. The question is why you believe in one but not in the other even if both sound illogical to you.

(10)Oh, so within, like, a couple thousand years, we evolve fully, but in A LOT more time than that, we're still humans. Right.
Wrong. Who said we'll still be humans in the future? We might evolve into something totally different (Well, not totally different, but something different enough to be called a new species). For example, the modern homo sapiens evolved out of, for example, the much less intelligent and much more ape-like homo erectus, while the Neanderthals simply got extinct. The homo erectus itself evolved out of another form of humans that was even more ape-like and so on.

And what about all those missing links in the evolutionary tree? Explain those.
If you want me to do that, you will obviously need to give me examples. But missing links exist most of the time because we haven't found the relevant fossils yet and will possibly never find them. You know, not every animal that dies leaves behind remains that we can find millions of years after that.

And nobody can comprehend where God came from, duh. We're only human.
If nobody can comprehend where God came from, why do you believe he exists?

(11)Apes? A better concept? Please. Guess who's teaching apes and monkeys to do all this space-techno stuff?
Humans. That doesn't mean we're perfect AT ALL, but we are the dominant species, clearly.
We are the dominant species now. But who says we will be the dominant species in the future. Things like climate change could, in a worst-case scenario, wipe the Earth from all humans. A similar thing happened to dinosaurs, who were clearly dominant. Yet, they disappeared, most likely because a big meteor hit the Earth.

hmm I never dress up for spirit day...infact me and my friends make fun of all the kids who do XD sorry... their allways the suck up kids in my school! the STRAIGHT A+ SUCK UP'S! god how i despise them... -_-

Spirit Week is this week for my school. It seems other schools have cooler days, like opposite gender day (Although, people do that at my school anyway). All we get is Hat Day, Support Troops Day, Twins Day, 90s Day, and the obligatory School Spirit Day :/

Of course they shouldn't force them to avoid religious education, and I have no problem with religious education at schools either. I just don't like religion-oriented schools, but of course it's anyone's freedom to let their kids attend such schools. I just would never do it myself.

Ah. Well, we're in complete agreement, then.

I'm all but a Christian, the closest to a religion I have would be Buddhism. In fact, I'm quite a strong opponent of organized religion in any form, especially the Catholic church and the evangelical movement in the US.

In general, I agree...personal religious beliefs can be a wonderful thing, but intercede worship of a deity through a powerful organization and problems will begin.

Also, that's kind of ironic...lucky you don't live in the United States, because I just read an article exposing anti-Buddhist sentiment in America. They are apparently distrusted more than atheists--and I sometimes have to be a bit careful about who I discuss my atheist views with--and only slightly less than Muslims (of course, it is a very ill-disguised secret that Muslims are disliked in the United States. My mom is quite anti-Islam, and sometimes I find it difficult to come up with counterarguments to her reasoning).

Anti-Buddhists? Hell, what have Buddhists done wrong? That said, I'm not really a Buddhist. I don't believe in reincarnation (as in, I think it's possible, but I have no idea if it actually happens), nor do I respect animals they way a real Buddhist should (because meat is just too tasty).

And the anti-Muslim sentiment... Well, Islam happens to have the most radical radicalists of any big religion, and that's the problem. I have no issues with Islam in itself or with Muslims, but they simply have the highest amount of hateful radical extremists (although Christianity is probably a rather close second). That still doesn't make the strong anti-Muslim sentiment right though, and I still laugh at those who actually think that building a mosque near the World Trade Center could be a potential terroristic danger.

Chaotic Chao needs to take a good read at Descartes. Possibly Heidegger, too.
Oh, and maybe Socrates too! He MIGHT understand how arguments work from him!
EDIT: Oh hey this was locked, who would've guessed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back