Spirit Week!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course they shouldn't force them to avoid religious education, and I have no problem with religious education at schools either. I just don't like religion-oriented schools, but of course it's anyone's freedom to let their kids attend such schools. I just would never do it myself.

...While this doesn't sound like a school I would want to attend...

OK, let me describe this school:
Like a regular public school with better lucnches, less bullies, and chapel every Wednesday(which I dislike).

Let's see... we wear uniforms(A long time a ago, this wasn't true, but people started dressing inappropriately), in middle school there's hardly any homework(not sure if this regins tue for any school), and... well, that's it.

Sounds a bit better to me. I mean, you can't just say you don't want to go to a school or place without at least hearing about it first...
I used to go to a school called St. Rita. I had to go to "mass" twice a week. It was a catholic nightmare.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Of course they shouldn't force them to avoid religious education, and I have no problem with religious education at schools either. I just don't like religion-oriented schools, but of course it's anyone's freedom to let their kids attend such schools. I just would never do it myself.

This really, really makes me question your avatar...
I mean, if you're no Christian, why have an avatar like that...?

Last edited:
OK, let me describe this school:
Like a regular public school with better lucnches, less bullies, and chapel every Wednesday(which I dislike).
And maybe some subtle influence on religious topics that you don't even notice.

A long time a ago, this wasn't true, but people started dressing inappropriately
As long as "inappropriately" doesn't mean "the girls dressed like sluts", that's exactly what I dislike about religious schools. Then again, other school do that too.

This really, really makes me question your avatar...
I mean, if you're no Christian, why have an avatar like that...?
Google "Brother Nathanael Evangelic Street Preacher" and find out. I'm all but a Christian, the closest to a religion I have would be Buddhism. In fact, I'm quite a strong opponent of organized religion in any form, especially the Catholic church and the evangelical movement in the US.

Did... Did I really say "violation"? That's nonsense of course, I meant to say they stand in contrast to secularization. Of course it's not really a violation, since nobody is forced to attend them, but I don't think education and religion should be mixed.

Ah, but say Christianity is truth, regardless of everything that is put against it. Wouldn't it be a good idea to mix it into everything, including teaching/education? Of course some wont want that kind of teaching, so they go to public schools. But for those who do want it, there should be an option for having religion mixed in with education.

(1)And maybe some subtle influence on religious topics that you don't even notice.

(2)As long as "inappropriately" doesn't mean "the girls dressed like sluts", that's exactly what I dislike about religious schools. Then again, other school do that too.

Google "Brother Nathanael Evangelic Street Preacher" and find out. I'm all but a Christian, the closest to a religion I have would be Buddhism. In fact, I'm quite a strong opponent of organized religion in any form, especially the Catholic church and the evangelical movement in the US.

(1) Yeah, I don't notice we have Bible class. I don't notice a huge, "See yoou at the poll" event. I don't notice that Christianity is located in every text book. I'm not an idiot, and, personally, hate being talked like that to(I don't know why I do. PLEASE don't bring it up...)...
Also, I'm pretty sure there are less bullies because, unlike public schools, they know better. Minor verbal bullying goes on, though. And I'm pretty sure lunches are better maybe because the people in charge are not only better cooks, but better managers at that.

(2)They kind of did, actually.
I admit, Catholics may be a little extreme. I should know. o.O

Also, if there were hardly any proof in Christianity, by now I wouldn't be one, believe me. However, it makes sense to me, and the proof is actually prety strong.

Last edited:
Suuuure, Christianity has been proven. Sure.
I didn't say it was.
Where in that post at all did I say that? By proof, I meant the evidence. Not everybody believes in it, but I do.

Science can't prove ultimate truths. It can't permanently prove anything. EVERYTHING science comes up with are theories. Theories, theories, theories...

I didn't say it was.
Where in that post at all did I say that?

Also, if there were hardly any proof in Christianity, by now I wouldn't be one, believe me. However, it makes sense to me, and the proof is actually prety strong.
Notice the word "proof".

Science can't prove ultimate truths.
If science can't prove it, what can? Science defines truth, and none of us can even grasp truth beyond science.

It can't permanently prove anything. EVERYTHING science comes up with are theories. Theories, theories, theories...
The fact of gravity is a theory to you? The fact that ice melts a zero degrees Celsius is a theory to you? The fact that the Earth is round is a theory to you? Science can prove anything that can be tested, but it cannot concepts that were designed to go beyond that on purpose. Religion was made to explain why we exist. Should science ever find the answer, religion become obsolete. That is, unless it should actually show that God does exist, but that is actually really unlikely in a purely statistical/mathematical sense.

And now we kinda derailed the topic.

Guys, guys! I think we all know the true answer here!

Forced prayer in school.

But seriously, we should get back on topic. We had a spirit week in my school this week, as well! We, uh, had to dress up in silly shit! And, uh... There was a pep rally. And that's about it.

Huh.

You know what, you two can just go ahead.

(1)Notice the word "proof".

(2)If science can't prove it, what can? Science defines truth, and none of us can even grasp truth beyond science.

(3)The fact of gravity is a theory to you? The fact that ice melts a[t] zero degrees Celsius is a theory to you? The fact that the Earth is round is a theory to you? Science can prove anything that can be tested, but it cannot concepts that were designed to go beyond that on purpose. Religion was made to explain why we exist. Should science ever find the answer, religion become obsolete. That is, unless it should actually show that God does exist, but that is actually really unlikely in a purely statistical/mathematical sense.

And now we kinda derailed the topic.
(1)Notice the fact that RIGHT next to that I said what I really meant.
(2)Technically, science doesn't define truth. It comes up with theories which are not always true. Like, to prove if every dinosaur on earth was extinct, you'd have to be everywhere in earth at the same time. Those suckers could be anywhere.
(3)Actually, gravity may not work exactly the way people say it does. Ice melting at 0 degrees celcius...
wait, MELTING?

And the Earth being round is, in fact, not a scientific theory, but actually a mathematic figure.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Guys, guys! I think we all know the true answer here!

Forced prayer in school.
As well as being forced to do homework, schoolwork there, go to every class, and overall go there in the first place...

It's all in the same subcategory.
Uh, not that it matters...

Last edited:
You know what, you two can just go ahead.
It's totally not obvious that you made this post to say "NO DON'T STOP THIS IS AMUSING" ;)

You know, since this is your thread, Chaotic Chao, I'm just gonna assume you're okay with us two derailing it, so let's continue.

Notice the fact that RIGHT next to that I said what I really meant.
You didn't say anything right next to it. I quoted the whole part of your post that talked about your views on Christianity.

Technically, science doesn't define truth.
What else does? What is truth? No matter how you define it, the definition is scientific. That's what science is there for, defining what is true.

It comes up with theories which are not always true.
People come up with theories, not science. If a theory is not true, it is abolished. If it is true, it is accepted as truth. I am talked about what has been accepted as truth.

Like, to prove if every dinosaur on earth was extinct, you'd have to be everywhere in earth at the same time. Those suckers could be anywhere.
Haha what. Don't you think we'd have found remains of them by now, considering humans have been almost everywhere? You cannot really prove that something doesn't exist anyway, but it's so incredibly unlikely that we consider it truth for convenience.

Actually, gravity may not work exactly the way people say it does.
But we all know how gravity works, don't we? Doesn't daily life prove it to us all the time?

Ice melting at 0 degrees celcius...
wait, MELTING?
Ice. Melting. At 0 degrees Celsius. Yes. What's the problem?

And the Earth being round is, in fact, not a scientific theory, but actually a mathematic figure.
A figure is a number. The fact (not theory) that the earth is round is not a number. And it's very easy to prove it's round by either going into space and orbiting around it or even just looking at it, or simply by flying around the globe and ending up at the same place.

As well as being forced to do homework, schoolwork there, go to every class, and overall go there in the first place...

It's all in the same subcategory.

I was being sarcastic.

Why does everybody take me seriously? :(

Anyway, I just think Christianity, even just religion in general, is silly at this point. If you really look into the backstories of religion, Christianity in particular, you'll find that they are (mostly; there may be some exceptions) absolutely batshit insane. What's that, you're too lazy to really look into all of it? Here, let one of my favorite comedians do it for you! (NSFW, slightly, but what do you expect? It's comedy!)

It's totally not obvious that you made this post to say "NO DON'T STOP THIS IS AMUSING" ;)

(I)You know, since this is your thread, Chaotic Chao, I'm just gonna assume you're okay with us two derailing it, so let's continue.

(1)You didn't say anything right next to it. I quoted the whole part of your post that talked about your views on Christianity.

(2)What else does? What is truth? No matter how you define it, the definition is scientific. That's what science is there for, defining what is true.

(3)People come up with theories, not science. If a theory is not true, it is abolished. If it is true, it is accepted as truth. I am talked about what has been accepted as truth.

(4)Haha what. Don't you think we'd have found remains of them by now, considering humans have been almost everywhere? You cannot really prove that something doesn't exist anyway, but it's so incredibly unlikely that we consider it truth for convenience.

(5)But we all know how gravity works, don't we? Doesn't daily life prove it to us all the time?

(6)Ice. Melting. At 0 degrees Celsius. Yes. What's the problem?

(7)A figure is a number. The fact (not theory) that the earth is round is not a number. And it's very easy to prove it's round by either going into space and orbiting around it or even just looking at it, or simply by flying around the globe and ending up at the same place.
(I)You WE argue all the time. It's like we're rivals or something. Or... opposites. If you were looking in a world opposite of yours, I'd be standing there...
I mean, I'm a Christian, personally, I hate judging others, I hate having my opinions criticized...
Seriously, the only thing we have alike is that we're both humans.
(1)I think you're looking at the wrong post.Where in that post at all did I say that?
By proof, I meant the evidence. Not everybody believes in it, but I do.
I put all of that.
(2)Something science can't define. Truth is beyond science's reach as well.
(3)Look at 2.
(4)They could be really small, deep underwater dwelling things, for all science can prove. Maybe even beautiful flying unicorns with blue quills like Sonic and nine tails exist that crap ice cream! XD
(5)Yes, but maybe it doesn't dole out its effects like how we think it does. That's what I meant.
(6)I suck at Celcius. I like in America. Fareinheit(spell check!).
(7)The Earth's shape has nothing to do with science.
Maybe the ways to prove it's shape are. But not the shape itself. Meaning, I probably meant geometric instead of mathematic.

Last edited:
(I)You WE argue all the time. It's like we're rivals or something. Or... opposites. If you were looking in a world opposite of yours, I'd be standing there...
Of course we're opposites in this case, that's why we argue.

I hate judging others
You are judging me if you say we're complete opposites.

I hate having my opinions criticized...
Why do you hate having your opinions criticized? If someone criticizes my opinions, I bring along arguments that support my viewpoint. That helps me find out where I stand personally and why I think what I think. I'm not attacking you on a personal level if I criticize your opinions.

(2)Something science can't define. Truth is beyond science's reach as well.
You only said what you believe it is not, not what you believe it is. Truth is just a word, and it's meaning is determined by us. Truth is what we see as true, nothing else. The concept of an ultimate truth beyond our perception isn't something we can grasp, because we don't even know if something like truth actually exists outside of our perception.

(4)They could be really small, deep underwater dwelling things, for all science can prove. Maybe even beautiful flying unicorns with blue quills like Sonic and nine tails exist that crap ice cream! XD
Those would not be dinosaurs. Again, dinosaurs are what we define as being dinosaurs. And the creatures we defined as dinosaurs don't exist anymore.

(5)Yes, but maybe it doesn't dole out its effects like how we think it does. That's what I meant.
Don't we experience that everyday? None of us even understands why gravity exists, if you mean that.

(6)I suck at Celcius. I like in America. Fareinheit(spell check!).
0 degrees Celsius is where ice melts, 100 degrees Celsius is where water vaporizes. Very easy system, much less complicated than the stupid Fahrenheit system. The scientific Kelvin system was derived from it because it was so easy to use. Same with meter instead of foot and kilogram instead of pound etc.

)7)The Earth's shape has nothing to do with science.
Maybe the ways to prove it's shape are. But not the shape itself.
Science is how we proved that the Earth is round. That's what I meant. It is not a scientific theory that the earth is round, it actually is round, and science proved that.

Meaning, I probably meant geometric instead of mathematic.
Geometry is a part of mathematics.

Ontopic: I don't really believe in evolution at all...
It doesn't make sense to me. There are like, no "firsts" of anything...
Again, not that it matters. =p
If there is a "first", what created the "first"? And if you say God, what created God? Evolution may not sound logical to you, but tell that to all the fossils that were found that show that animals transformed over the course of time.

Last edited:
Of course we're opposites in this case, that's why we argue.

(1)You are judging me if you say we're complete opposites.

(2)Why do you hate having your opinions criticized? If someone criticizes my opinions, I bring along arguments that support my viewpoint. That helps me find out where I stand personally and why I think what I think. I'm not attacking you on a personal level if I criticize your opinions.

(3)You only said what you believe it is not, not what you believe it is. Truth is just a word, and it's meaning is determined by us. Truth is what we see as true, nothing else. The concept of an ultimate truth beyond our perception isn't something we can grasp, because we don't even know if something like truth actually exists outside of our perception.

(4)Those would not be dinosaurs. Again, dinosaurs are what we define as being dinosaurs. And the creatures we defined as dinosaurs don't exist anymore.

(5)Don't we experience that everyday? None of us even understands why gravity exists, if you mean that.

0 degrees Celsius is where ice melts, 100 degrees Celsius is where water vaporizes. Very easy system, much less complicated than the stupid Fahrenheit system. The scientific Kelvin system was derived from it because it was so easy to use. Same with meter instead of foot and kilogram instead of pound etc.

(6)Science is how we proved that the Earth is round. That's what I meant. It is not a scientific theory that the earth is round, it actually is round, and science proved that.

Geometry is a part of mathematics.

(7)If there is a "first", what created the "first"? And if you say God, what created God? Evolution may not sound logical to you, but tell that to all the fossils that were found that show that animals transformed over the course of time.
(1)I'm just saying that we're different. That's not judging.
(2)It's an opinion. It's not supposed to be criticized. In fact, criticizing an opinion is retarded.
In my opinion.
(3)The concept of truth is way to complex for any human to understand. The meaning is determined by us, yes, but that doesn't mean the meaning is true. I mean, someone has to try to define it the best they can.
(4)You wouldn't know if they'd be dinos or not because you couldn't observe them, let alone find them. And "we" again? Humans can't do everything. And we're wrong. A lot.
(5)No, no I mean the process of gravity. How it works. Think of it like this: a computer works by a bunch of wires, circuitboards, and other stuff. So how does gravity work...? The process today may not even be true, for all humans can understand with our limits.
(6)Yes, science used a lot of stuff to prove it round. I was just saying the fact that it is round isn't scientific. And I put geometric to be specific.
(7)That just basically proves every theory about the universe and the earth wrong. Something had to happen, so I always ignore this. Apperently, God says he was from "the beggining" to now. I have no idea when that is...
And the way the universe occured in evolution...
A random explosion out of nowhere? Really?
And how can evoulution be true if we and other animals all just suddenly stopped evolving. Sure, we stop evolving just when we get smart enough to study it.
And if evoulution were real, I'm pretty sure all the monkeys, apes, and the like would all be humans by now...

(1)I'm just saying that we're different. That's not judging.
It is. You judge me as different from you.

(2)It's an opinion. It's not supposed to be criticized. In fact, criticizing an opinion is retarded.
In my opinion.
If somebody says "I think all jews must be killed", it shouldn't be criticized? Of course opinions can be criticized, that doesn't stop you from having them.

(3)The concept of truth is way to complex for any human to understand. The meaning is determined by us, yes, but that doesn't mean the meaning is true. I mean, someone has to try to define it the best they can.
Any proof, reason, backing, anything? What makes you think there is some greater truth when truth is indeed a concept made by humans?

4)You wouldn't know if they'd be dinos or not because you couldn't observe them, let alone find them.
What? Just because I have never seen these things, I can tell you they're not dinos because they are totally different. That's like saying atoms look like dogs because none of us has seen an atom yet.

And "we" again? Humans can't do everything. And we're wrong. A lot.
Just because we define truth, that doesn't mean that everything we believe fits that definition actually fits it.

(5)No, no I mean the process of gravity. How it works. Think of it like this: a computer works by a bunch of wires, circuitboards, and other stuff. So how does gravity work...? The process today may not even be true, for all humans can understand with our limits.
Nobody has ever understood how exactly gravity works yet. So we're not wrong about it, we don't know it at all. Yet.

(6)Yes, science used a lot of stuff to prove it round. I was just saying the fact that it is round isn't scientific. And I put geometric to be specific.
Of course the fact that it is round is scientific. Every truth is scientific. Science means nothing else than knowledge.

(7)That just basically proves every theory about the universe and the earth wrong.
No. Take the big bang. Before it started, the universe didn't exist. The implication that a process has to be started by something is a physical law. Physical laws only apply to the universe. Same about time. Time didn't exist before the universe.

Something had to happen, so I always ignore this.
Well, didn't something happen?

Apperently, God says he was from "the beggining" to now. I have no idea when that is...
If you mean God was created together with the universe, then what did he even do?

And the way the universe occured in evolution...
A random explosion out of nowhere? Really?
A random God out of nowhere? Really? Otherwise, see the commentary on the big bang.

And how can evoulution be true if we and other animals all just suddenly stopped evolving. Sure, we stop evolving just when we get smart enough to study it.
I just love that reasoning. Who ever said we stopped evolving? We didn't. We are still evolving, with every human that was born. For example. humans were much smaller thousands of years ago, and they also had more hair. Evolution is a very slow process, you won't see the effects in your lifetime.

And if evoulution were real, I'm pretty sure all the monkeys, apes, and the like would all be humans by now...
Why? Are you implying that just because we are the most intelligent species, we are the optimal species? Animals try to survive, who guarantees that humans won't be extinct in the future? For all we know, we might disappear in a thousand years, and apes will still exist. That just means that apes were a better concept in the long run that humans.

So, we were talking about spirit week. Then religious schools. Are we talking about evolution now?

Spirit week was pretty cool. One of the days was dress up like a nerd. We all had hilarious clothes and glasses. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back