Sonic Unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
SONIC'S SENTRY said:
Chisuun said:
Still not buying it. I played it on someone else's Wii for a couple hours, that's enough for me.
WHAT? You must be joking. It's practically the best 3D Sonic game ever.

Six minutes of me actually playing Sonic Unleashed on a PS3 and I basically made a decision. I am not going to get that game. It's atrocious how long I held right and forwards in about half of a level. I'm looking at the 2D segments I experienced, contrasted it to my OLDC entry, and I personally think my 2D level, despite being made in a much worse engine, is better. My short experience reeked of mistakes Sega has made time and time again in their other Sonic games.

A six-minute judgment doesn't seem very fair, but I've seen enough. The 3D segments were so cramped they were basically just 2D in another perspective. That just isn't cool. I know the Wii version is different, but I don't see how it could be that much better.

Autosaver said:
I have the Wii version. :P
So it doesn't have 3 acts...>:(

Replay Value - Not as much as SA2B IMO
Also no chao garden.....not that it needs it but it makes me play the game a lot.
I love Sonic Unleashed, but seriously, I agree, it isn't at the SA2:B's step, some steps less, ok, but not at SA2:B's step
The replay value depends on the gamer, ok. Yet, it's not as much as SA2:B
No day stages have 3 acts in either versions (I think). Still, the WII/PS2 version have at least 3 acts in each night stage. Unfortunately, they overused of the night stages since Shamar (e.g Shamar/Adabat= 4 acts; EggmanLand= 5 acts)
Chao Gardens were completely optional, still, it makes the replay value more bigger, and it's fun to raise chao, for me...

At least it's getting sales right? So it's not a complete faliure.

I mean I would rather play next-gen sonic than shadow the hedgehog.

Brown the dog said:
No day stages have 3 acts in either versions (I think).

IIRC, the 360/PS3 versions have three day acts, all selectable from the hubworld.

Instead the Wii version has its own fair share of "acts".

Mostly missions called time attack and collect the rings where players get to be where they've never been before.

SPOILERS*I'm using the quick reply feature so no spoiler tag for me*

More area with the dragon in chun-nan
And more areas/extended levels.*Spagonias boss extended level,boss gets cut but AWESOME!*

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
Six minutes of me actually playing Sonic Unleashed on a PS3 and I basically made a decision.
Or you could've just gotten the demo from Xbox live, or something.

Well, I just got Sonic Unleashed for the Wii. Yes, the inferior version, but it was a Christmas present, and to ask for both a 360 and a $60 Sonic Unleashed for it is pretty ambitious, so I'd be an idiot to complain.

Anyway, it's fun. The day time stages are a no-brainer; fast-paced, time-attackable, and very fun to go through. The environments are really cool in their complexity, especially Shamar, I think. Yes, the werehog outnumbers the hedgehog heavily, but there are a lot of day missions to go through, so you'll still be spending plenty of your time in the day levels.

The night levels really aren't bad. Actually, while they're not as fun as the day levels, they're still quite cool. The controls (at least, from what I've played, the Game Cube controller's) are generally easy to adjust to. I felt motion in general was kinda clunky, especially since dashing requires you to press the same direction twice rather than just tap it, but that flaw is easy to ignore.

The stages, in general, are good. It usually has a nice balance of platforming gimmicks and battles, and in spite of the fact that stages generally take about six minutes to complete, they're enjoyable, and even different acts on the same continents tend to differ in gameplay. Even though it kept me interested, however, I do feel the acts could have been compressed. A lot of the stages tend to loom over death pits, and I felt those death pits could have been replaced by the level design of other acts, in a fashion similar to the day levels. Even with the secrets in each level, they're pretty linear. It also seems like the night part of the game is a little too long considering the slight lack of diversity of enemies, but other than length and the somewhat clunky movement mechanics, the werehog is thoroughly enjoyable.

The bosses are very cool; miniboss or temple boss, night or day, I enjoy them all, really. The temple bosses are cool in the sense of the different gameplay gimmicks they have. [spoiler:e46c258548]For a couple of the day bosses, at one point you're chasing Eggman while avoiding obstacles, then at another moment you've switched to 2D and are playing jumprope with laser beams, and at another moment it's switched to an overhead shooter-esque style of gameplay; pretty wild.[/spoiler:e46c258548] For the night temple bosses, I'll just say that every boss is different. As a whole, I find them all pretty easy; I can usually S-rank them without a problem, but nevertheless, they're a whole lot of fun.

Speaking of difficulty, the Wii version so far has a pretty smooth learning curve, but it seems like the difficulty sky-rockets up at Eggman Land. It's an awesome stage, but I haven't beaten it yet because it's piss hard! I otherwise have nothing to criticize.

As far as sound and music goes, I really have no problem with most of the voice actors. They're not stellar (except for Robotnik's) but they don't detract from the gameplay experience at all. As a matter of fact, you won't even hear Chip in levels after most of beginning steps into the game. I've already had the soundtrack for about a month, so it should be obvious that this game's music is excellent. The werehog tune shouldn't be as common as it is, but like I said earlier, the platforming and battling sections are nicely evened out, so it's not much of a problem.

The graphics clearly aren't as good as the 360's, but most of the time, everything looks very nice, so I have no complaints on that. The aesthetics especially look good on the humans.... The Saturday-morning-cartoon feel of the game's more cinematic moments fit the Sonic series perfectly, and I hope more Sonic games in the future utilize it.

In closing, what I've played of Sonic Unleashed so far is fun, better than Secret Rings. It's got a couple minor and major flaws, but they can all be overlooked, for all I'm concerned. You can definitely critique this game, but it's really easy to love too. I realize the Wii has the short end of the deal here, but that just makes me want to play the 360 version even more. I already know how the day and night levels play and I'm satisfied with both. So, how about I experience some more? Besides, I want to enjoy the hubworlds and the minigames; it's essentially a whole different game, but I already know generally how they'll play, so how can I go wrong?

If you're considering Sonic Unleashed for the Wii (as I've heard from Shuffle and many others, get the 360 version if you can), then go ahead and do it, but be aware that you're getting a werehog game. If you expect it, and you like beat-'em-ups anyway, then you'll probably enjoy it.

In any case, I've taken much interest in seeing how Sonic is doing in his recent games, so even if the game sucked, I'm glad I had it as a present. If Sonic and the Black Knight implements the better features of SatSR and Sonic Unleashed (and multiplayer as well), then I think we've got a real winner on our hands. Here's to Unleashed, and the soon-to-be SatBK.

Blue Warrior said:
Well, I just got Sonic Unleashed for the Wii.
lol you got pwnt
Blue Warrior said:
Yes, the inferior version,
TROOFAX
Blue Warrior said:
but it was a Christmas present,
Be aethiest and you can't get dissapointed by not getting what you want.
Blue Warrior said:
and to ask for both a 360 and a $60 Sonic Unleashed for it is pretty ambitious,
"Can I have a 360 and Sonic Unleashed?" "No." Yes, very ambitious to ask.
Blue Warrior said:
so I'd be an idiot to complain.
ok, if wanting the 360 version means you're an idiot, i want to be an idiot.

Blue Warrior said:
Anyway, it's fun.
YUS
Blue Warrior said:
The day time stages are
TIME FOR A LIST! =D
Blue Warrior said:
a no-brainer;
That's supposed to be good?
Blue Warrior said:
fast-paced,
why did you change from semi-colons to commas?
Blue Warrior said:
time-attackable,
holy shit hell yeah dawg
Blue Warrior said:
and very fun to go through.
lol
Blue Warrior said:
The environments are really cool
YUS
Blue Warrior said:
in their complexity,
NO
Blue Warrior said:
especially Shamar,
Well, it is the most complex. But still not complex.
Blue Warrior said:
No, you KNOW! =D
Blue Warrior said:
Yes, the werehog outnumbers the hedgehog
D=
Blue Warrior said:
DDDDDDDD=
Blue Warrior said:
but there are a lot of day missions to go through,
Yes, and you know how you get more? By extensively searching the Werehog missions! =D
Blue Warrior said:
so you'll still be spending plenty of your time in the day levels.
You misspelled "night" as "day." go blew warrer
Blue Warrior said:
The night levels really aren't bad.
Keep playing past the first few, you'll see what I mean.
Blue Warrior said:
Actually, while they're not as fun as the day levels,
TROOFAX
Blue Warrior said:
they're still quite cool.
Oh, sure, BW, sure.
Blue Warrior said:
The controls (at least, from what I've played, the Game Cube controller's) are generally easy to adjust to.
Oh, sure, BW, sure.
Blue Warrior said:
I felt motion in general was kinda clunky,
you just said the controls are good stop contradicting yourself aaaaaaaah
Blue Warrior said:
especially since dashing requires you to press the same direction twice rather than just tap it,
D=
Blue Warrior said:
but that flaw is easy to ignore.
<.<
>.>
Oh, sure, BW, sure.
Blue Warrior said:
The stages, in general, are good.
yes, but if you have bad physics the stages dont matter
Blue Warrior said:
It usually has a nice balance of platforming gimmicks and battles,
lol
Blue Warrior said:
and in spite of the fact that stages generally take about six minutes to complete,
D=
Blue Warrior said:
they're enjoyable,
lol
Blue Warrior said:
and even different acts on the same continents tend to differ in gameplay.
Have you gotten to Eggmanland yet?
Blue Warrior said:
Even though it kept me interested,
It kept me interested, too. But interested=/=happy.
Blue Warrior said:
however, I do feel the acts could have been compressed.
If you're complaining about that now, just wait until you get the 360 version.
Blue Warrior said:
A lot of the stages tend to loom over death pits,
THE HORROR, THE HORROR
Blue Warrior said:
and I felt those death pits could have been replaced by the level design of other acts,
It would still be a deathpit, just a good-looking deathpit.
Blue Warrior said:
in a fashion similar to the day levels.
?
Blue Warrior said:
Even with the secrets in each level, they're pretty linear.
n_nb
Blue Warrior said:
It also seems like the night part of the game is a little too long
A little?
Blue Warrior said:
considering the slight lack of diversity of enemies,
What are you talking about, there are, like, three different types oof each speecies, and there are ~10 species.
Blue Warrior said:
but other than length and the somewhat clunky movement mechanics, the werehog is thoroughly enjoyable.
Well, it would be, if the length and physics were done better.
Blue Warrior said:
The bosses are very cool;
Yeah, they're cool, but I didn't find them to play that well, except for some of the Werehog, which was actually quite good.
Blue Warrior said:
miniboss or temple boss,
Minibosses aren't really bosses, more like an obstacle, seeing as you can just run right past them without killing them.
Blue Warrior said:
night or day, I enjoy them all, really.
I hated all the day ones, and liked most of the night.
Blue Warrior said:
The temple bosses are cool in the sense of the different gameplay gimmicks they have.
Yes, for the Werehog bosses.
Blue Warrior said:
For a couple of the day bosses, at one point you're chasing Eggman while avoiding obstacles, then at another moment you've switched to 2D and are playing jumprope with laser beams, and at another moment it's switched to an overhead shooter-esque style of gameplay;
A couple?
Blue Warrior said:
pretty wild.
lol
Blue Warrior said:
For the night temple bosses, I'll just say that every boss is different.
Yeah, they have a lot more variety.
Blue Warrior said:
As a whole, I find them all pretty easy;
I found them easy except for the phoenix, which was pretty hard, but only because I wasn't used to bosses.
Blue Warrior said:
I can usually S-rank them without a problem,
I haven't tried yet.
Blue Warrior said:
but nevertheless, they're a whole lot of fun.
whee we agree on something
Blue Warrior said:
Speaking of difficulty, the Wii version so far has a pretty smooth learning curve, but it seems like the difficulty sky-rockets up at Eggman Land.
CONTRADICTIONS
Blue Warrior said:
It's an awesome stage,
lol
Blue Warrior said:
but I haven't beaten it yet
lol, took me ~5 tries
Blue Warrior said:
because it's
filler text
Blue Warrior said:
piss hard!
wat
Blue Warrior said:
I otherwise have nothing to criticize.
lol
Blue Warrior said:
As far as sound and music goes,
When I saw this, I immediatley thought "this is going to be a fun paragraph."
Blue Warrior said:
I really have no problem with most of the voice actors.
Have you even heard Chip or Sonic? I wanted to set it to Japanese with English subtitles, but I could only set it to Japanese with Japanese subtitles, which makes me sad because I always set it to Japanese with English subtitles on any game that I can.
Blue Warrior said:
They're not stellar (except for Robotnik's) but they don't detract from the gameplay experience at all.
Eh.
Blue Warrior said:
As a matter of fact, you won't even hear Chip in levels after most of beginning steps into the game.
Eh.
Blue Warrior said:
I've already had the soundtrack for about a month, so it should be obvious that this game's music is excellent.
Eh.
Blue Warrior said:
The werehog tune shouldn't be as common as it is,
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE WEREHOG TUNE IS EXCELLENT
Blue Warrior said:
but like I said earlier,
redundancy time woooooo
Blue Warrior said:
the platforming and battling sections are nicely evened out,
lol
Blue Warrior said:
so it's not much of a problem.
lol
Blue Warrior said:
The graphics clearly aren't as good as the 360's,
D=
Blue Warrior said:
but most of the time, everything looks very nice,
Go play Brawl again. It's overrated, but it shows the TRUE SUPER POWER OF <strike>TEAMWORK</strike> wii graphics.
Blue Warrior said:
so I have no complaints on that.
<.<
>.>
Eh.
Blue Warrior said:
The aesthetics especially look good on the humans....
lol
Blue Warrior said:
The Saturday-morning-cartoon feel of the game's more cinematic moments fit the Sonic series perfectly,
lol
Blue Warrior said:
and I hope more Sonic games in the future utilize it.
lol
Blue Warrior said:
In closing,
but there are still two paragraphs after this learn the meaning of "closing" you dunce
Blue Warrior said:
what I've played of Sonic Unleashed so far is fun, better than Secret Rings.
Eh.
Blue Warrior said:
It's got a couple minor and major flaws, but they can all be overlooked, for all I'm concerned.
lol
Blue Warrior said:
You can definitely critique this game, but it's really easy to love too.
lol
Blue Warrior said:
I realize the Wii has the short end of the deal here, but that just makes me want to play the 360 version even more.
It's a marketing technique by SEGA. It has the slight side-effect of pissing everyone off.
Blue Warrior said:
I already know how the day and night levels play and I'm satisfied with both.
lol
Blue Warrior said:
So, how about I experience some more?
no thank you
Blue Warrior said:
Besides, I want to enjoy the hubworlds and the minigames.
you cant enjoy that which is not enjoyable
Blue Warrior said:
It's essentially a whole different game, but I already know generally how they'll play, so how can I go wrong.
You do not end interrogative sentences with periods.
Blue Warrior said:
If you're considering Sonic Unleashed for the Wii (as I've heard from Shuffle and many others, get the 360 version if you can), then go ahead and do it, but be aware that you're getting a werehog game. If you expect it, and you like beat-'em-ups anyway, then you'll probably enjoy it.
words - i see them, but no sense is made. this is a problem that must be remedied
Blue Warrior said:
In any case, I've taken much interest in seeing how Sonic is doing in his recent games,
ok
Blue Warrior said:
so even if they game sucked,
augh internal contradictions
Blue Warrior said:
I'm glad I had it as a present.
lol
Blue Warrior said:
If Sonic and the Black Knight implements the better features of SatSR and Sonic Unleashed (and multiplayer as well),
YES PLEASE
Blue Warrior said:
then I think we've got a real winner on our hands.
=D
Blue Warrior said:
Here's to Unleashed, and the soon-to-be SatBK.
no thank you

In conclusion? Postcount +1

See, there's a difference between my post and your post. My post is long because it has content. Your post is long because it has a bunch of quote blocks; many of your responses are few words or the same responses to different things. Your post is multiple times bigger than mine.

I'm close to unlocking all Xbox 360 Achievements for this game. I got 43/50 unlocked. This includes Hard Boiled, which is all of the Hot Dog stand's Eggmanland missions. It was a pain, but I mastered it.

The ones left requires me to get all of the sun and moon medals, to race through all stages, and just 3 more Hot Dog stands. After I finish those last 3, I might do the stages one, but I'm not so sure.

If someone were to port Unleashed to Srb2, they would do a much better job porting the Were-Hog levels than the Day stages. *Hint Hint*

Though it should be noted that SRB2 wasn't intended for Werehog gameplay either. There's no pole climbing, no horizontally moving platforms, and most importantly, no combat system. So, porting off of them wouldn't work. Basing on them, might.

SonicMaster, out of curiosity, which level(s) did you play?

undefined said:
Though it should be noted that SRB2 wasn't intended for Werehog gameplay either. There's no pole climbing, no horizontally moving platforms, and most importantly, no combat system. So, porting off of them wouldn't work. Basing on them, might.

SonicMaster, out of curiosity, which level(s) did you play?

Pole Climbing - Knuckles can climb... >_>
Horixontally moving platform - 1.1
Combat System - Make one lol.

Also thanks for ALL YOUR SPOILERS. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back