Resource icon

Sonic Kart VR Mod 1.6.2

chreas

chreas submitted a new resource:

Sonic Kart VR Mod - enables steam vr in sonic kart

Any VR headset that can connect to SteamVR now works in Sonic Kart with full stereoscopic 3d and 3DoF head tracking. You can look in any direction. Position tracking is not yet implemented. Both third person and first person modes are supported. Either launch with -openvr or navigate to the ingame VR menu with Options > Video Settings > VR Settings and enable VR.

This was built on top of bird/moe-mansion as that mod already has the framerate unlocked which is required to make this work...

Read more about this resource...

I don't think I can actually experience this since i have no VR set but the whole concept looks great :wonderful:

chreas updated Sonic Kart VR Mod with a new update entry:

Sonic Kart VR Mod v1.0.1 Update

v1.0.1 notes:
  • Head tracking now has 6DoF positional/rotational tracking.
  • World scale, UI distance, UI scale, and vertical camera lock can now be configured from the ingame VR settings.
  • When copying the per-eye render targets, pixels that will never be seen are now discarded.
  • Changed net-updates to happen per-frame and not per-eye-per-frame.
  • Fixed the FPS counter incorrectly reporting double the actual frame rate.
Downloads:
[URL...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Works very well with my Oculus Rift S. Very fun to be able to look around and see what's going on at my sides.

Sonic Kart VR Mod v1.0.2 Update

v1.0.2 notes:
  • Billboard sprites/characters will now always face you no matter what your orientation is.
  • Frustrum culling now follows the HMD look direction, this gets rid of the void that would be behind you when looking backwards over your shoulder.
  • If no renderer is selected, the game will default to OpenGL (when available), as VR requires it anyways.
Downloads:

thanks very much for mod.
i tried both 1.02 and 1.01 and i much prefer the character billboard sprites not turning with you. i would appreciate if this was turned into an option or an exception was made for rendering player character. or maybe only turning to the camera position but ignoring its rotation. it feels weird to me when rotating my head the wheels of the karts seem to slide around.

thanks very much for mod.
i tried both 1.02 and 1.01 and i much prefer the character billboard sprites not turning with you. i would appreciate if this was turned into an option or an exception was made for rendering player character. or maybe only turning to the camera position but ignoring its rotation. it feels weird to me when rotating my head the wheels of the karts seem to slide around.
Thank you for the feedback!

I am looking into the billboard situation for 1.0.3. If I can't make a better solution I may have to just leave it as an in-game option to choose between 1.0.2 and 1.0.1 billboard handling for a while.

Sonic Kart VR Mod v1.0.3 Update

v1.0.3 notes:
  • Updated the version string displayed in the main menu
  • UI will no longer be slightly cropped on the edges of the screen, UI elements may appearly slightly smaller as a side effect.
  • Fixed some maps (like balloon panic) altering the scale of the world in VR.
  • Now using skybox scaling from map headers to correct depth for skyboxes instead of making everything infinitely far away and flat. For 95% of maps this looks great with a few heinous...

This. Is. Friggin. Awesome. It's kind of amazing how well this works. I do have one request tho, if there's a way to disable the intro cutscene between matches, that'd be really great. I don't have any motion sickness troubles with most of the game, but spinning the camera around the character during the intro is just too much for me.

This will easily be the default way I play 'kart now :)

This. Is. Friggin. Awesome. It's kind of amazing how well this works. I do have one request tho, if there's a way to disable the intro cutscene between matches, that'd be really great. I don't have any motion sickness troubles with most of the game, but spinning the camera around the character during the intro is just too much for me.

This will easily be the default way I play 'kart now :)
Thank you for the feedback! I found the code in question pretty quick. I submitted changes so there's a VR menu option to change how track intros behave in VR. The commit is up for anyone who wants to build and use it now, otherwise it will be in the 1.0.4 build in May.

Thank you for the feedback! I found the code in question pretty quick. I submitted changes so there's a VR menu option to change how track intros behave in VR. The commit is up for anyone who wants to build and use it now, otherwise it will be in the 1.0.4 build in May.

Dang, that was quick. Thanks for the update! I'll probably wait for the next version to be released, I don't really have a build environment set up right now. :)

This looks super cool, and I'd love to try it, but I can't get anything to display on my HMD no matter how hard I try.
I've tried restarting everything (SteamVR, Oculus, Quest 2, and my PC) and forcing SRB2K to use my dedicated GPU, and yet I get no result.
Any idea what might be wrong..?
I already asked about this on gitlab, but I figured I might as well mention it in the MB thread too in case anyone else had this problem.

Attachments

• image_2021-05-02_144853.png
    image_2021-05-02_144853.png
    494.7 KB · Views: 265
Did you happen to enable the VR mode in the menu? It doesn't seem to be on by default.

This looks super cool, and I'd love to try it, but I can't get anything to display on my HMD no matter how hard I try.
I've tried restarting everything (SteamVR, Oculus, Quest 2, and my PC) and forcing SRB2K to use my dedicated GPU, and yet I get no result.
Any idea what might be wrong..?
I already asked about this on gitlab, but I figured I might as well mention it in the MB thread too in case anyone else had this problem.
Can you launch the game through the command line? When you do that you can see any debug information inside the command window. VR debug information can't be sent to the in-game console without causing it to lock up. If you're getting a bunch of "VR COMPOSITOR ERROR: <error number>" inside the console window while the game is running that should answer some questions on what is wrong.

To launch the game in the command line you just have to navigate to your srb2kart install folder in the command line and type in srb2kart.exe

Heya! Gotta say, I've been using this mod a lot, and I'm a huge fan! I've been having an annoying problem recently though, and I was wondering if anybody might know the solution? It seems like the camera is locked in place for some reason- No matter what direction I look in, the whole world moves with me, so I can't actually look around at all- The only thing that seems to move with my head is the U.I. when I pause and look at what the desktop preview is showing. In addition to that issue, on some tracks, I can't see anything but the Hud (No players, track, etc.), and on the tracks I can see, for some reason, disabling Skyboxes in the OpenGL settings results in the same problem- Complete blackness besides the HUD. I'll happily provide any information or screenshots relating to the problem on request.

Heya! Gotta say, I've been using this mod a lot, and I'm a huge fan! I've been having an annoying problem recently though, and I was wondering if anybody might know the solution? It seems like the camera is locked in place for some reason- No matter what direction I look in, the whole world moves with me, so I can't actually look around at all- The only thing that seems to move with my head is the U.I. when I pause and look at what the desktop preview is showing. In addition to that issue, on some tracks, I can't see anything but the Hud (No players, track, etc.), and on the tracks I can see, for some reason, disabling Skyboxes in the OpenGL settings results in the same problem- Complete blackness besides the HUD. I'll happily provide any information or screenshots relating to the problem on request.

Thanks for the feedback! Can you verify that you have shaders enabled in your video/openGL settings? If it's enabled and still not working try deleting your kartconfig.cfg to reset all of your settings. If that doesn't fix it can you tell me what your video card(s), operating system, and headset are?

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back