Sonic Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think part of that is because Dimps has established fairly predictable final boss gameplay by now. You kind of go in half-knowing what to do already. Not that that's a bad thing. I think Sonic Generations 3DS has the worst level design since G Sonic, but I will also admit the final boss is not bad.

I am, however, kind of sick of final bosses that demand the player learn an entirely new form of gameplay other than the ones you've spent the rest of the game mastering. I really like the Nega Wisp Armor (the final boss in Wii's Sonic Colors) because it demands that you utilize the moves used in regular gameplay. It also treats Super Sonic as a difficult-to-obtain yet fun bonus reward, as opposed to a required story element. I heartily approve of that.

Last edited:
Solution: Drive into the ocean and join the atlantean hedgehogs and hope there isn't an "amy" there...sorry I know this is kinda off topic but there really isn't much I can comment on :/ unless the following helps
Cubed 3.com said:
New information has emerged detailing the 3DS version of Sonic Generations. The new info covers its StreetPass features and reveals that you'll be able to exchange profile cards and also missions.

Profile cards record information on the player, including their Sonic Generations playtime, how long they've been playing the Sonic series and also their favourite Sonic friend or partner. SEGA have also said the more you exchange your profile card, the more they will be updated in different ways. On top of that there are 100 separate missions in Sonic Generations, which can be unlocked through StreetPass activity. These feature new challenges like "Revenge" where you'll have to defeat a certain number of enemies. If you don't live in a populated area though, don't worry, as SEGA have also put in the option to unlock them through Game Coins.
Source:Just here!
Yeah this is some scoop I found by Google searching it. Some eye food/candy for you there.

Last edited:
I am, however, kind of sick of final bosses that demand the player learn an entirely new form of gameplay other than the ones you've spent the rest of the game mastering. I really like the Nega Wisp Armor (the final boss in Wii's Sonic Colors) because it demands that you utilize the moves used in regular gameplay. It also treats Super Sonic as a difficult-to-obtain yet fun bonus reward, as opposed to a required story element. I heartily approve of that.

My thoughts exactly. I hated the final boss in Generations, but the one in Colours was pretty good. Of course, Colours had some boring and at times frustrating level design. That also kinda translated into the Planet Wisp stage in Generations despite it being almost entirely different from the original.

Also guys, please use spoiler tags. I want to have SOME surprise left when I get the 3DS version of the game.

Oh, man, that looks awful in every way. Compared to stuff like Mario Land 3D, this looks like a PS1 game. An EARLY PS1 game. They use like... 3 or 4 textures for the entire stage, most of which is taken with big stretches of literal nothing.

Are Dimps really cheap to contract games for? Because I can't see any other reason Sega keep using them.

sonic_nintendo_pin_1_by_triforceboy-d4gyntr.jpg

So, Generations 3D is getting Club Nintendo cards in it. I've never seen a third party game (least, not one not published by Nintendo themselves) that actually had them. Apparently, 3DS 3rd party games are going to start having them more often now.

So, as you may have guessed, the 3DS version of Generations is short, and for the missions, you gotta plunk down all your PlayCoins for most of them and all that, right? Well, turns out the Online mode is another way of doing that, AND getting other bonuses! I snooped around some places (mainly message boards), and apparently...

- The rather blatant "DENIED" sound of the L button is actually used for something; if you meet up with someone via StreetPass, or play an online match (not sure of what you need to do in it), you get a bonus monitor item you can use when you like, similar to some Mario titles (World, NSMB, 3D Land), only it activates immedietly. I'm pretty sure you can't use it online, but its still kind of a neat feature.

- Playing games online gives you points and unlocks more missions! So if you can't get enough PlayCoins, just try the online play. But don't fret if someone ragequits; the game considers you the winner by default, and still gives you points while taking away theirs! And even if you lose, you still get some points.

- You can see other players cards, and their Miis enter your Mii Plaza, apparently. Some people have reported playing multiple matches only to get a few Miis, however, so I'm not too sure on the specifics about this. In general, it seems the Online multiplayer can be used as a substitute for finding people to StreetPass with.

So... the main edge this game has over the HD counterpart is the multiplayer. I guess this is where the effort went, huh?

Also, I can't say for sure, but apparently Fat Sonic actually has BETTER physics than his HD counterpart! He actually accelerates down slopes when rolling and everything! Sadly, the level design in Generations 3D is not as great as the HD version, so... Damn. Maybe because Dimps did this, they'll try to fix up Sonic 4: Episode 2 with the better physics? I doubt it, but hey, one can dream...

Last edited:
Just beat the Time Eater boss yesterday. It was pretty easy.

However, in the final attack, they didn't make it clear that you had to hold LB + RB. I thought they meant press it repeatedly. .-.

Speaking of bosses, you know how the bosses are pathetic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzP8qoHz61U

Some are REALLY pathetic.
To be fair, the player is abusing the boss in the way to skip an entire section.
It's funny how in the past few days I've started wanting the 3DS game way less.
I've made a lenghty post (buried) about the 3DS version. It seems people want what the game isn't trying to be. I've seen countless people complaining that it isn't 3D or there isn't a lot of input needed. Generations 3D isn't trying to be like the HD version. It is more of a quick pick up and play game that can be a lot of fun and requires little input. The stages are even designed this way to be more of a racing time attack than tons of platforming. I'm sure it'll be a blast online and with friends too. I haven't really bothered playing the HD version that much and I'm sure Wi-Fi will extend the replayablity of the 3D version greatly.

On a side note, the missions don't seem that annoying in this version.

Yeah I always knew very well that it'd be Rush-styled. It's just that the videos and what I've heard about it and even the music still haven't been up to my expectations. I'll probably buy it eventually because Sonic, but eh.

Are there really only two levels in the Dreamcast and Modern eras in the 3DS version or have I failed to find the two levels I don't know about? I only know about Emerald Coast, Radical Highway, Water Palace, and Tropical Resort in those eras...

Also, I can't say for sure, but apparently Fat Sonic actually has BETTER physics than his HD counterpart! He actually accelerates down slopes when rolling and everything!
Did somebody said 3DS Classic Sonic has better physics than the HD one?

[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfj68jyDoF8&feature=related ]

Maybe he doesn't accelerate down slopes, but you can't deny that he gains momentum by spindashing and jumping up a slope.

PC controls are soooo lazily done. Also seems like every Sonic game from Sonic Adventure has to have at least one part which glitch you away from map. But it's still great game anyway.

Are there really only two levels in the Dreamcast and Modern eras in the 3DS version or have I failed to find the two levels I don't know about? I only know about Emerald Coast, Radical Highway, Water Palace, and Tropical Resort in those eras...
Yes, there are two less zones in the 3DS version.

PC controls are soooo lazily done. Also seems like every Sonic game from Sonic Adventure has to have at least one part which glitch you away from map. But it's still great game anyway.
It wouldn't be authentic if there wasn't such a glitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back