Sonic Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I managed to play the demo at my friend's house. And now I'm going to say what I think about the demo so far.

Pros:

+Music sounds amazing. Definitely has that nostalgia feel in it. As soon as I heard the title screen music it made me look back at a lot of memories.

+Level design is really good, tons of different routes, gimmicks and not so much cheap sections/bottomless pits.

+Physics are better than Sonic 4's. I can actually spin down a hill more faster now and it doesn't feel like the friction is high.

+The graphics look gorgeous. I stood around the stage for ages to look at the waterfall and just Green Hill itself. Fab stuff.

Cons:

-Classic Sonic's spin dash is way too powerful. Even with 1 press to charge it sent me flying and I screwed up on a couple of occasions because of it.

-I don't know if it's just me or Classic Sonic can be rather stiff to control once he reaches a certain amount of speed. When he isn't too fast you can control him better. I know it was the same like in the old games, but in those ones you could control Sonic better, even at full speed. But that's just a personal nitpick.

-Another personal nitpick, but I was hoping there'd be at least 2 acts or 2 levels.

Overall: I really enjoyed and played the shit out of it. Now I'd like to give Modern Sonic a shot. Can not wait for the final version to come out.

Demo Rating: 8/10

You know, I may be nitpicking in the view of most people, but what the hell is up with the Bubble Barrier? He can bounce right through the enemy when he bounces instead of off of the enemy. What gives? The one thing that IS a nitpick though is how floaty it is in comparison to the Sonic 3 Bubble Barrier, but then again it's a bubble.

e1009913d7ce.png

What is the lady bug?

The circle with a color change for the shields sounds lazy. I wish they did something like S3&K where they can pretty good detail to the shields. (Lightning throughout the shield, fire/lava rising with the fire shield, bubble is fine though)

Did Sonic always go through enemies once he crushed them with a bubble shield? Or did he bounce back up after hitting them?

Polygon Jim is such a brother, I could kiss him. He fixed the rolling mechanics. It could use some more speed (blame an odd case of a speedcap on the rolling), but this is far improved.

Hey, Sega. Is that so fucking hard for your development teams to get right? Your fanbase proves that you are a joke all the time. I'm getting tired of it.

Last edited:
Spindash still seems overpowered. You travel a lot of distance for charging for just half a second.

I think we're better off having a complete mod by Polygon Jim called "Sonic Generations: Polygon Jim Edition" where he pretty much fixes all of the flaws in the game by simple hacking. If this DOES get released on PC, I would very happily download it myself.

Polygon Jim has recently disabled the auto loop ramps. How did this go?

Polygon Jim said:
No video of this because I'm super lazy, but yesterday morning I removed the weird autoloop things on top of the ramps that shoot you into the air all over the stage.

Removing them makes you unable to reach reach the upper paths half the time because the angle of the ramps aren't matched up to where you get shot to using the auto-launchers. When you rely on only physics on those ramps you fly way off target of were the auto-launch was meant to send you. The game does technically work with these removed, but every level in the game would need overhauled for you to ever be able to reach any paths the ramps took you.

The problem is that most of the ramps are at say a 90 degree angle, but the auto-launchers send you instead at maybe a 45 degree angle, so when you try to just use your own character physics you end up going 90 degrees instead of the 45 degrees the level is designed for which makes you go off in the wrong direction.

So no one say to remove the auto-launch ramps again, the end.

Dammit, Sonic Team (and Dimps). Could you please design a proper level with proper use of game mechanics? No wonder you need automated ramps. This is just lovely.

From what I can probably tell, it sounds like Ted Poley mained Classic and Tony Harnell mained Modern.
Personally, I perfer the modern version from how similar it is compared to the original.

For example, Modern has a rock feel to it while classic has an autotune techno feel to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back