Sonic Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I just tried out the demo. Seems pretty good so far, looking forward to more. The physics are a huge, huge step up over that one other game we don't talk about, especially since Sonic doesn't slam to a dead halt as soon as you let go of the D-Pad.

Also, while he does feel a bit heavy, he also doesn't feel like you're playing on the frickin' moon. It's too bad we didn't get a Modern level, but we already know what that'll be like through Unleashed, anyway. :V

I was hoping they were going to compensate for the not nearly accurate classic gameplay with good, varied level choices that really showed the unique worlds that Sonic and his imitator have gone through in the last 19 years. Sadly, this is no longer the case, and just to rub salt in the wound they have the gall to go and release one of the better levels as DLC. Games should have all of their content packed into the CD. Milking a game with DLC to keep raking in the money is a cheap marketing gimmick that I am sick of and this practice needs to end. You couldn't download more content on a Genesis cartridge. The entire game was THERE. And this game is Retro Sonic going through Green Hill Zone, two clones, and 4 City levels. I don't think anyone could possibly see anything right with that level selection.

Even with proper controls, this game isn't worth it with this level selection. They ignored any of the unique stages like Quartz Quadrant, Metropolis, or Sandopolis. Hell, I would take the Middle East levels from SA2 over City Escape. Just something to round out the variety. But no.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 had better level variety than this. And that is downright depressing considering the shit this franchise has been through.

Yeah, I can see your point now. It seems like the levels may get a bit repetitive after a while... but we'll just have to wait and see for now.

Also, I almost completely forgot about the demo on PSN, so I downloaded that off my PS3 and played it. It wasn't so bad, but I can't really say anything other than that since the demo is so short. My complaints so far is the spindash makes you go WAY too fast, and holding a button to spindash doesn't feel right at all. I hope they fix most of the issues in this, especially since it's an early version of the game. (Heck, it says that when you first start up the demo. It make me wonder why they chose to make a demo so early in development in the first place.)

I'm downloading the demo on my XBOX 360 now.

Man, 654 MB? They didn't have to included SO MUCH extra content, really.
It might take me half an hour just to get the download finished...

EDIT: My best time is 1:29. I'm not really trying. :p

Last edited:
I actually didn't really like this demo. Running felt so slow, I didn't want to do anything but spin dash, and because I didn't want to do anything but spin dash, I didn't really enjoy the stage because it just blurred by and all the enemies were no threat at all. I was bored playing it. I mean, it was alright, but I wasn't "wowed" by the controls much, if at all.

So... I gave the Demo a try on the 360... which only had Classic Sonic playable.

Who needs to run if you can just hold the Spin Dash button and go flying? While it's not really a complaint for me, but Spin Dashing shouldn't be THAT fast if you think about it.

The Controls... kinda felt stiff. Compare it to the Classics and you'll see what I mean, also I should mention that I tried putting that Spin Dash to use by dashing up the wall and jumping... but... you go upwards instead of just going in a angle from where you jump.

For those that don't get what I'm saying... instead of jumping diagonally up , you go straight up if you jump from the wall, not to mention you really get a big jump height from it if you Spin Dash up the wall, maybe not as much though, while I know it's not exactly as the classics use it, it still feels... odd.

Nevertheless, it's just a Demo, so I can't really complain about it, who knows? Maybe in the Final they might get it right? A Demo is a Demo after all.

Last edited:
That... honestly looked more fun than the Classic Sonic playthroughs. Mainly because the spindash was far more abusable than boost and some parts actually benefited from the homing attack. Huh.

You know whats irritating? You need gold membership on Xbox360 to get the demo, Microsoft is rely in it for the money.
But anyway, Classic Sonic in modern levels would most likely not be impossible, gaps with homing attack needed, things like that would cause an issue. Also, Classic Sonic not programmed to work in 3D at all (that we know of yet.) The only reason modern sonic works in classic levels is because he HAS 2D programming for his 2D segments. I guess Classic could work in Modern's 2D sections... but it would be hard.

What would be the point anyways? To hold forward at a slow pace for long stretches of land with little explorations and paths? Once you take away boost and homing attack, Modern Sonic gameplay just isn't (as) playable anymore.

generations.png

...SRB2-esque running animation in 3D environments?

Cool.

The fact that Modern Sonic works surprisingly well in the classic levels and (apparently) vice-versa, then it would be a neat idea to have it as an extra feature in the actual game. It would require some tweaking, but it's pretty obvious it won't happen.

Just finished playing the demo.
First thoughts: Holy hell this scenery is beautiful.
Second thoughts: Wait, why the hell am I stuck on this boring track with that beautiful level in the background?

I can't help but feel that the enormous amount of time that they put into the background scenery is a pretty big waste, considering that you're usually expected to zoom past it at the speed of sound. It's so nice looking, I'd rather be exploring that shit instead of running right past it on a boring old track (2D or 3D, they basically offer the same amount of "exploration").

With that out of the way, the gameplay itself is passable. The physics are strange, there's no denying that. The spindash is completely abusable and overpowered, and more often then not it feels like you're constricted to the actions they wanted you to perform. All in all, it's playable, but honestly not that fun IMO. I dunno. I was so distracted by the gorgeous scenery that I barely played the level.

3D classic sonic video is subject under copyright, so I can't view it.

Oh, and Jeck, you can get the demo free on XBL after June 30th.

EDIT: Too stupid to realise it's a joke.

Last edited:
generations.png

...SRB2-esque running animation in 3D environments?

Cool.

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck! How could I miss that?

Anyway, I played the demo at a friends house the day it came out, and I was pretty disappointed at Sonic's controls. Jumping doesn't really take you anywhere unless your already moving, and Sonic feels really stiff in all of his movements. And despite the pretty HD graphics, there weren't really a lot of things to see or explore, as a lot of the "alternate paths" were just 5 second long shortcuts.

....Classic Sonic will now be known as Spin to win, thanks Sega.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back