Sonic Generations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting no voice for Classic Sonic was a smart move by SEGA. I actually expected them to be stupid enough to make Roger Craig Smith voice him. :S

Classic Sonic gameplay looks alright.
Modern Sonic looks like "Hold boost to win."

Can't really determine if I want it yet since there's not a whole lot of footage, but right now I think I'll pass.

That gameplay actually looks...somewhat solid. Classic Sonic looks pretty fun. Modern Sonic doesn't look that bad either. Then again, my gaming standards are somewhat low, but if the entire game plays like this consistently I'll pick it up...once I have a 360 or PS3.

One thing I noticed about modern Sonic's gameplay is that despite having 3D segments, the stage seems very linear. It's almost as if the game is still 2D, just with a different camera angle. Is there any off-path exploration that can be done, or are there at least multiple paths to take? I think it would really add a lot to the game.

Aaand there went my hopes for calling the gameplay "good". Straight back to "meh" territory once again.

Classic Sonic looks to be moving at a completely inconsistent speed. He seems to be MUCH too fast in some areas, and too slow in others. Additionally, gravity seems to be whacked. Things just doesn't look too great, here... Although, I will give them credit, they didn't put a stupidly annoying massive mech in the background like a certain Remix did. Seems they have a little sense after all.

Modern Sonic looks just as horrible as usual, which is completely unsurprising.

Other than that, they need to get their starpost timer looked at (see 3:07). Mind telling me how it's possible to be roughly four minutes behind ... whatever (I assume a previous run-through) when the timer's only at about three minutes?

犬夜叉;705787 said:
Aaand there went my hopes for calling the gameplay "good". Straight back to "meh" territory once again.

Classic Sonic looks to be moving at a completely inconsistent speed. He seems to be MUCH too fast in some areas, and too slow in others. Additionally, gravity seems to be whacked. Things just doesn't look too great, here...

Yeah, I think one of the speed inconsistencies is caused by the increased amount of speed that an uncharged spindash gives you. It also seems that in certain areas they are forcing the player to a predetermined momentum, rather than letting the physics do their job (e.g. the ramp up to the pile of rings into the sky). I'm hoping the little gravity and physics quirks will be fixed up before the release. However, even at this point Generations appears to have better physics than Sonic 4.

犬夜叉;705787 said:
Although, I will give them credit, they didn't put a stupidly annoying massive mech in the background like a certain Remix did. Seems they have a little sense after all.

I liked the mech in the background...

Seeing Classic Sonic's gameplay looks outstanding in HD.

The main problem I see with it though is the way Classic Sonic is running around midair no matter what. (What happened to the actual animation of Classic Sonic bouncing off the springs?) They should also really change the way he uncurls when spinning off a ramp, he should ALWAYS be in a ball. Other than that, it looks pretty fun.

Modern Sonic's gameplay looks JUST like Sonic Unleashed's daytime gameplay, which I liked. So I'm looking forward to that as well.

In my opinion, Sonic Team is just slowly improving on the Sonic games. Sonic Unleashed was decent, Sonic 4 did suck (but that was developed by Dimps), and Sonic Colors was fun. It wouldn't surprise me if I enjoyed this game even more than Colors.

I'm really looking forward to Sonic Team's future, if they continue to listen to (non-biased) feedback of the fans, Sonic could possibly be good again.

*Gets riot shield and prepares for war*

Oh my, Modern Sonic gameplay looks splendid, having a remixed version of past stages' music and a gameplay such as in Unleashed, wich I enjoyed so much, it's so frickin' great. I'm looking forward to see some of Adventure's stages there, playing ol' Dreamcast stage with all-new mechanic, hell yeah!

As for the old styled Sonic, looks pretty crappy, I mean, no voice, Sonic airwalks all the time, and plataforming is done by sections, not constant, as well as it lacks exploring, I'll stick to the Modern Sonic unless I see some notorious changes.

I'm really looking forward to Sonic Team's future, if they continue to listen to (non-biased) feedback of the fans, Sonic could possibly be good again.

What do you mean? Do you really think Sonic Team gives a damn about fan suggestions? Well, they don´t, and if they do, then it's not much. Sonic Team is a corporation wich designs in Japan, video games for little kids, they are not gonna be caring about what an advanced-age teenager says in North America.

All these Youtube comments saying "sega get ur ass n work in a good platformen game your shit sux" or the forums, or any other media, they simply don't care about it.

"Fans" were all crazy about that Sonic 4 was made thinking "They finally hear us", well, it wasn't so, they've been whining for it since Sonic Heroes, and just because they made a game similar to what they were asking for in freaking 8 years doesn't mean they are gonna obey whatever complainers say, as I said before, their main purchasers are kids, however they ARE aware that also old people plays these games.

This is a good thing, not a bad thing.

And don't give me "but Jaleel White!", his Sonic voice was beyond grating.

Sonic airwalks all the time
I don't get this one. The hell's airwalking?

plataforming is done by sections, not constant, as well as it lacks exploring
These are more legitimate concerns. If the level design is too linear, then it kind of defeats the whole point. That being said, I'm pretty sure I saw a few divergent paths in the gameplay video, and even then, a linear game can be fun to replay - most of Valve's single-player titles are a testament to that.

I'll stick to the Modern Sonic unless I see some notorious changes.
...but this kind of defeats the previous point, because Modern Sonic's level is even more linear than Classic Sonic's apparently was. And don't tell me there's room for exploration, because I've played Unleashed, there really isn't all that much. Maybe, at best, you can tackle this one curve via a rail instead of doing it via the ground!

Ultimate said:
Yeah, I think one of the speed inconsistencies is caused by the increased amount of speed that an uncharged spindash gives you. It also seems that in certain areas they are forcing the player to a predetermined momentum, rather than letting the physics do their job (e.g. the ramp up to the pile of rings into the sky).

That's not new. There was all kinds of places like that in Sonic 1 and 2, as zoom tubes tended to be fixed speed a lot of the time IIRC.

There were of course, instances of boosters in the original games, but this is something different. There are places in the gameplay video where Sonic just speeds up on regular ground for no apparent reason. For example, at the end of the ramp with the pile of rings in the sky, Sonic randomly gets a boost in speed, which would never happen in any of the old games. The other instance occurs when Sonic suddenly goes into the GHZ-esque tube. He suddenly gains a whole bunch of momentum, whereas in the older games the physics would do the work.

I'm much less concerned about the tube as I am about the ramp. Also, I'm hoping these are just 'in development' quirks and will be sorted out. Even if they aren't, the physics don't seem too bad overall.

Sonnarkku said:
What do you mean? Do you really think Sonic Team gives a damn about fan suggestions? Well, they don´t, and if they do, then it's not much. Sonic Team is a corporation which designs in Japan, video games for little kids, they are not gonna be caring about what an advanced-age teenager says in North America.
Well considering people consistently suggested Sega to go back to what they did best, along with much feedback from Sonic 4 ep. 1 integrated into this project (C. Sonic, better classic physics, etc.), I'm sure this game (and even Sonic 4) were created because of suggestions from fans. And You realize Sega is a 3 part company right? I doubt SoJ has complete power to dismiss what the other two divisions say (including Fan feedback that has proven to benefit Sonic Generations)

Sonnarkku said:
All these Youtube comments saying "sega get ur ass n work in a good platformen game your shit sux" or the forums, or any other media, they simply don't care about it.
Well of course they don't care about it, They don't care if the comment/message in question is a poorly made, vulgar piece of writing with no explanations. Retro for example understands well how to suggest feedback, via coming to things like that one Fan Feedback session at SoA, or actually explaining the issues with the games unlike just whining to Sega to fix something you didn't explain. And with this not even being the final version, it's still possible to send feedback (of course, doesn't hurt to play the thing if it appears at E3 to submit your feedback)

Sonnarkku said:
"Fans" were all crazy about that Sonic 4 was made thinking "They finally hear us", well, it wasn't so, they've been whining for it since Sonic Heroes, and just because they made a game similar to what they were asking for in freaking 8 years doesn't mean they are gonna obey whatever complainers say, as I said before, their main purchasers are kids, however they ARE aware that also old people plays these games.

I can admit to this that I was pretty hyped for Sonic 4 until I played through it a couple times. And what exactly dare I ask makes you think the many who whined for C.Sonic weren't a possible cause for C.Sonic's inclusion? Look at the polls, Classic Sonic is winning by a landslide with over 10,000 votes with Modern Sonic not even past 5,000 (as of posting right now.). The way I am seeing it, C.Sonic could probably be in more games if Sega is willing to ask it's fans for feedback about which one they like more.

Sonnarkku said:
Oh my, Modern Sonic gameplay looks splendid, having a remixed version of past stages' music and a gameplay such as in Unleashed, wich I enjoyed so much, it's so frickin' great. I'm looking forward to see some of Adventure's stages there, playing ol' Dreamcast stage with all-new mechanic, hell yeah!

I'm glad you find the Modern Gameplay excellent, I too find the Music remixes pretty awesome. I also look forward to seeing more levels, especially from other eras like the Dreamcast, however I feel Modern Sonic should have more exploration along with less boosting, It feels quite linear and would probably benefit if more exploration based level design, along with less boost oriented gameplay would improve the Modern Sonic's gameplay. (Note that I said less, not no, boosting. I understand it is optional, but the level design could be more based on Sonic not boosting all the time...)

Sonnarkku said:
As for the old styled Sonic, looks pretty crappy, I mean, no voice, Sonic airwalks all the time, and plataforming is done by sections, not constant, as well as it lacks exploring, I'll stick to the Modern Sonic unless I see some notorious changes.

And this is when the agreements stop, why exactly does C. Sonic's gameplay "Look pretty crappy" compared to Sir Boosts-a-lot? And C.Sonic didn't have a voice in Sonic's 1, 2, 3, and S3&K, and the games were still good; do you not realize the type of backlash Sega would get from having C.Sonic attain a voice? (As Shadowhog mentioned, This is more of a good thing then a bad thing); And Airwalking?...Run off a cliff in the following games:
The Sonic Trilogy (Sonics 1-3&K)
Sonic CD
The Sonic Game Gear games

Even Sonic Robo Blast 2 has air walking, I don't see what is wrong with it; Besides, not the final version, I bet if you were to send feedback, They would probably answer why it is like that. (Or not, sense, you know, Airwalking was never a big deal in the 90's...)

But hey, Your opinion man. No skin off my bones if you don't like it, just curious why Airwalking, No voice, and a few other things bother you so much when these things are probably in there for the reason of getting the whiny side of the classic fanbase off their backs.

Just sayin' Sonnarkku, this thing isn't being released until probably late 2011, you could send some feedback and find out if these things are deliberate or not.

But hey, Your opinion man. No skin off my bones if you don't like it, just curious why Airwalking, No voice, and a few other things bother you so much when these things are probably in there for the reason of getting the whiny side of the classic fanbase off their backs.

I dislike they added those things because they aren't even features, the reason Sonic moved his feet even while on air on Genesis days was because making it a different way would probably bring up many glitches or gameplay defects, and it'd have occupied unnecesary space, same goes for voice, Sonic talked in 1993 with his cartoon, Sonic sometimes said written lines at some games, then again, the reason it wasn't added on Genesis is because there wasn't enough space.

Also I find it crappy because while I understand that a fast paced 3D gameplay requires long tracks and simple routes to avoid people from getting confused (Modern Sonic), but if Modern Sonic has 2D zones aswell then what's the point of playing a sidescreen-only game wich doesn't have any extra features at all? I just say Classic should have emphatyzed on doing "Multiple Routes" and skilled platforming instead of doing the same as Modern but without the 3D sections.

You know, if the old Sonic had new Sonic's eyes, or vise-versa, then New Sonic would just look like an older Sonic, he lost some weight, grew taller, and his quills grew longer.

I just might buy this. I appear to enjoy most of Sonic's 2D adventures, and Colours too. Sonic 4 was slightly disappointing, but this could be a good replacement. :D

I would prefer a Spring animation to running in the air, though. Unless you run off a platform. (Example: Sonic Robo Blast 2. It just feels right there.)

You know, if the old Sonic had new Sonic's eyes, or vise-versa, then New Sonic would just look like an older Sonic, he lost some weight, grew taller, and his quills grew longer.
That's why I stay out of the debate for the most part. Who's to say that Older!Sonic isn't just that, Older Sonic, wearing green contact lenses? Not for his eyesight, no, but for the "cool" factor? Or whatever reason Chao Freak 1 had for the purple ones?

Uh, doesn't Sonic airwalk in the original genesis games aswell? At least Sonic Team is trying to make it close to the original as you asked, and you still complain.

I noticed from the extended gameplay trailer there are air tricks that are more similar to Sonic rush and that the boost adds over the maximum limit. Can't wait for the next levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back