• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Project Protoman

Who is the better Red?

• Knuckles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ProtoMan.jpg

Hi everyone, working diligently on a Protoman wad

Progress
Stats: complete (swim is now double jump, since stage 1 act 2 is impossible without it)
Sprites: Redrawing by hand and coloring in photoshop^^
Music: Download music
Items: Item box completed, Protostrike not yet started (his projectile attack)
Socs: no drowning, no damage from acid.
Cutscenes:maybe?

SOCing hopes
-non-damaging jumps
-infiniite "ringslinging"
-Shield protecting back
-pull shield out in front to defend
-wall jumping (stick to walls like knuckles, but not being able to move along the wall)
-charge shot? (probably not)
-Mega man style animated death?
-mega man health style ring counter

Anyway, tell me what you think.

[edit] I'm just gonna show some sprites down here at the bottom. what do you think of them?
ProtoA1.gif
ProtoA2.gif
ProtA3.gif
ProtA4.gif
ProtA5.gif
ProtA6.gif
ProtA7.gif
ProtA8.gif

As for the jump, always hurt, unless you're planning on changing the source code.

The infintite ringsling. Hmm, you might be able to soc a new bullet to give you a ring a soon as you fire it, but you don't know about socs, sooo....

The spindash would probably be best having maxdash be 1 and mindash be 0, but you could still curl up on the go, but nobody ever said you could go any faster then. But still, wouldn't protect you from anything at all.

playing around with other wads, I've seen similar abilities. (except jumping not hurting) the PsionicAmy wad was invincible when you held down spindash, but she also became a vacuum. I'm wonderin' if there's a way to limit that invincibility just to the front. maybe a mix between Flame's sword soc and the psychic soc?

and the ultimate broken sonic has infinite ring slings during spindash.

but I guess I'll worry about that later, and when I do, I'll consult the experts. (basically the two I listed above)

Heh, nice sprite of Protoman, I'm quite impressed, you could probably be better than senku (another great sprite artist)

Anyway, I'll probably help you with the SOCcing functions if i'm not lazy. I happen to know alot about SOCcing, so ask me something. Although, some of the things might not be SOCcable :P

I wouldn't go that far, I get lucky from time to time.
and I've been messing around with mega man sprites for a long time.

yeah, I'll consult you and the others when the time comes, for now I've got to finish the remaining sprites between doing homework.

well, I've done everything but the hundred other sprites. To be honest, I've never made a 360 degree sprite and am unsure how to go about doing this. and Protoman's armcannon will make it all the more difficult for me.
Any more experienced spriters have any words of wisdom?

Either sprite him with his gun always up or always down.

If you want him to change between, you'd best go about making a DooM skin. D:

I'm just curious about the best way to go about doing this. it's just going to be a pain in the but to make him face different directions with his shield facing the same way and his gun on his left hand. diagonal views are easy enough, but whether or not it'll go well with my other veiws is another question. and because of his hand placements, I have to make all 8 rotation sprites.

but then he'll have a right arm cannon and his shield will be facing the wrong way.

for example- facing the screen a bit to the left, his gun arm will be closest to the screen and the shield will be behind his head, but facing the screen a bit to the right, his shield arm will be closest to the screen and the arm cannon will be almost completely behind him. Either way I have to make those two sprites since my character isn't symetrical...

Will it help you if I show you the rotations from my wad. I support this wad. Finally another custom wadder.

Hopefully this will help you with the views, with this horrible gif animator.
KakaStandanim.gif

Actually, if you set the spinitem to an intangible, invisible object, and make it A_CapeChase itself to right in front of the player, then A_SetObjectFlags to become Solid (And maybe visible, depending on if you want to display a sprite) then you would have a frontal shield power.

I'm not sure if it would block movement like it does in the Psionics Charability, you'd have to find out.

umm... yeah, I'm trying to test my character out in the game (it's still missing most sprites) but It kinda messes up (segment violation or something) even when I highlight his name on the player select screen.

any reason for that? Am I doing something wrong?

meanwhile on a progress note, I've finished the feet for facing the screen walking animation, now all I have to do is attach to the body.

Use another wad for a place hold. Like copy a character wad then rename it to like protoman then replace the sprites.

screenshot1.jpg
screenshot2.jpg

wow, that works really well! I can't believe I didn't think of doing that before. The only problem I'm having now is that when I select Protoman from the character select, it makes me sonic and I have to manually switch to protoman/amy
(yeah, I'm using amy as my placeholder^^)

Chances are, somewhere in either the OBJCFG, or the S_SKIN, it still says "Amy", change it to "Protoman" or whatever you put for the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back