Pokemon coming to an end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah, Pokemon Rainbow, Aurora and... Kaleidoscope?
Of course, there's another issue with making all the regions available: By the time you've made it to the last region, your 'mons would be insanely high leveled.

Pokemon.
It's NEVER going to end.
Everyone still watches it, everyone still plays it, so it has gained immortality.

When it stops making money, it shall die.

Warpshade said:
Of course, there's another issue with making all the regions available: By the time you've made it to the last region, your 'mons would be insanely high leveled.

It wouldn't be a problem because the last region's pokemon would be insanely high-leveled, too.

Warpshade said:

Well, in theory, they could make the Pokémon able to go above level 100. Which, if they incorporated new movesets, would be sick as all hell.

I've actually always thought that there should be way more secret plots after you beat the Elite Four and all that jazz. Here are a few of my ideas (combined into one confusing storylike paragraph):

So you've beaten the Elite Four. Good job, so has everyone else. You can now travel to the Kanto region! Ah, the memories just keep comin'. But everything's different. Time tends to change things. Oak's come up with a new invention, you've heard. But he's moved southward. So you surf your way down there to Cinnibar Island. It's not like you remember it, it's bigger... more citylike. Oak's not at the lab (of course, what did you expect?) so you go to beat the Gym Leader out of boredom. Needless to say, you pretty much destroy him with your team. He's quite impressed and gives you a choice of one of two fossils he recently found (new Pokémon species, perhaps). You then see that Oak is back, so you go to check out what he's got. He doesn't recognize you at first (oh, I forgot to add that the game starts off as a cutscene in which you find out your character lived in Kanto years ago as a child but moved to whatever the new region will be called), but then he realizes who you are and invites you to check the machine out. It's a time machine, a portable one. Basically, what it would do would be wherever it finds a signal (preventing the player from spawning into somewhere that didn't exist back then), it will revert the map (and possibly graphics) back to the original Game Boy style. In special places, this will trigger an event. For example, if you used it and went to where Mewtwo with the armor originally was, you would get a chance to battle him (this could possibly include an item called M-ARMOR that, when equipped to Mewtwo, ups his defense, alters his graphics, and gives him Steel type), among other things.

Yeah, I have thought a lot about this.

That was Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal. As soon as you beat Johto, you go back to Kanto and time has passed and you can battle all the gym leaders from way back.

Earuto said:
That was Pokemon Gold, Silver, and Crystal. As soon as you beat Johto, you go back to Kanto and time has passed and you can battle all the gym leaders from way back.

I know but I mentioned Crystal because it had the "special features/extra" onto it.

I dont care about pokemon. My friends dont play it anymore because its boring! the same again and again in everygame with other pokemon.

Ironically, this is one of the reasons I play. The system WORKS. There are some things that you could change, but for the whole the system is a winning one. I've played at least on game from each of the generations apart from generation 1, and while the core mechanics are always the same, the actual gameplay is solid.
Gameplay>Plot>Graphics, IMHO.

sonic260 said:
Every game has been named after a specific Color or Jewel.
And sooner or later, they'll run out of them, too.
But hey, I'm actually looking forward to Platinum. It's meant to be pretty kickass.

But when you think about it, they might struggle to keep making regions, I mean, sooner or later, everyone's not even going to acknowledge Kanto's existence.

People did when they released Firered and Leafgreen. And they acknowledged some of their pokemons too by bringing back random sets, like Lickitung for instance. I don't even remember seeing that one in Kanto, but I started to once I played Platinum.

At least Firered and Leafgreen had the islands. You could get more Pokemon than before. Not to mention how greatly the graphics have improved.

I want to go back a page and a few days and address something:

Jazz said:
I still keep saying they should trim it down to the original 150 (+Mew) and actually improve the core gameplay, rather than creating more stupid little buggers to fill my Pokedex with. The last Pokemon game I played (Fire Red) pretty much played out exactly the same as any other Pokemon game before it, albiet a few fancy bells and whistles.

You really haven't been paying attention, then. Each new generation of Pokemon game has greatly improved on the system from previous generations.

R/B/G/Y, obvious start. Nothing to say.
G/S/C, introduced 2 new types to help balance out the game, which worked incredibly well. Introduced new moves to make older types actually work. Introduced item carrying to add another dynamic to the game. Introduced the breeding system which would become much more significant in later generations.
R/S/E/LG/FR, redid the whole system with EV and IV training. While similar stuff existed in previous generations, it became far more complex, and far more useful in these games. Introduced the Double Battle system. Made breeding actually useful with the ability to combine IVs from parents and have some control over child pokemon.
D/P/Pl, redid the entire battle system. Physical moves and special moves are in two totally separate groups, and have far more significance when training a pokemon. Introduced newer evolutions to older pokemon to make them actually useful.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but essentially, the games have changed at their very core with each generation. At the same time, it keeps the simplicity that allows anyone to actually get into the game without any real difficulty.

Rob said:
I want to go back a page and a few days and address something:

Jazz said:
I still keep saying they should trim it down to the original 150 (+Mew) and actually improve the core gameplay, rather than creating more stupid little buggers to fill my Pokedex with. The last Pokemon game I played (Fire Red) pretty much played out exactly the same as any other Pokemon game before it, albiet a few fancy bells and whistles.

You really haven't been paying attention, then. Each new generation of Pokemon game has greatly improved on the system from previous generations.

R/B/G/Y, obvious start. Nothing to say.
G/S/C, introduced 2 new types to help balance out the game, which worked incredibly well. Introduced new moves to make older types actually work. Introduced item carrying to add another dynamic to the game. Introduced the breeding system which would become much more significant in later generations.
R/S/E/LG/FR, redid the whole system with EV and IV training. While similar stuff existed in previous generations, it became far more complex, and far more useful in these games. Introduced the Double Battle system. Made breeding actually useful with the ability to combine IVs from parents and have some control over child pokemon.
D/P/Pl, redid the entire battle system. Physical moves and special moves are in two totally separate groups, and have far more significance when training a pokemon. Introduced newer evolutions to older pokemon to make them actually useful.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but essentially, the games have changed at their very core with each generation. At the same time, it keeps the simplicity that allows anyone to actually get into the game without any real difficulty.

None of those things are related to the actual gameplay, You can still beat the game with one pokemon, if you wanted to. Oh, and physical and special moves were always in 2 different groups.

Gen 4 made the move itself have a physical or special type of damage, along with the attack type of the move itself. In previous generations, the type of the attack determined whether a move was physical or special regardless of what the attack looked like. That change fundamentally altered the way you could attack something, frequently allowing you to attack a wall on its weaker stat with a super effective move.

Also, they have introduced VAST amounts of interface improvements over the generation changes. In gen 2 they made HM usage not require opening the menu to access and added two new types to balance out the fact that psychic was overpowered in gen 1. In gen 3 they added the new box system with a GUI instead of a menu-based system, as well as adding an icon for each individual Pokemon in the menus. Every bird doesn't look the same, and it's hard to explain how much of a difference that makes. In gen 4 they fixed the bike and cleaned up the HMs in general (god, Rock Smash was so awful), as well as cleaning up the interface by using the DS's second screen. Having well-done touch screen implementation is always nice.

Yes, the core gameplay is still the same, but I really see no reason to change that. The game works great as-is.

luis90 said:
None of those things are related to the actual gameplay, You can still beat the game with one pokemon, if you wanted to. Oh, and physical and special moves were always in 2 different groups.

This. Also, the computer AI is still just as clueless as it was in the original game. None of the fights are any challenge, not to mention as luis90 said, I can beat the entire game repeating the same move on one of my Pokemon. The core gameplay is still a grindfest against an inferior AI. Yes the graphics and interface have improved, but the game itself has not.

The computer AI improved drastically in the newer ones. It still sucks, mind you, but it's not as retarded as it used to be. Also, if you want a challenging fight, why are you fighting the computer at all? There's no substitute for a real human opponent to have a good round.

:SonicMaster: said:
Or, to go with Chisuun's idea in a conversation on Steam, remove the turn-based Pokémon battles and make them real-time.

I've thought about this for a while, and even thought of some design plans.

Imagine this. You're walking in a 3d field with a top down view similar to the Banjo-Kazooie camera. You walk into a grassy patch, and you run into a Pikachu. A battle starts. The battle style would be similar to that of the Castlevania: Judgement game. you would have a normal attack, some combo's and 4 specials, each requiring you press the B button and doing a combination of buttons. When you initiate a special, it would stop time for a small scene, similar to the Final Smash. It would deal massive damage, but draws power from a gauge. When the Pokemon is weak enough, you press a button that goes into a Pokemon Colloseum style catch sequence. It would then give you you're experience, level ups, new moves, etc. And a reward.

Fyrus said:
:SonicMaster: said:
Or, to go with Chisuun's idea in a conversation on Steam, remove the turn-based Pokémon battles and make them real-time.

I've thought about this for a while, and even thought of some design plans.

Imagine this. You're walking in a 3d field with a top down view similar to the Banjo-Kazooie camera. You walk into a grassy patch, and you run into a Pikachu. A battle starts. The battle style would be similar to that of the Castlevania: Judgement game. you would have a normal attack, some combo's and 4 specials, each requiring you press the B button and doing a combination of buttons. When you initiate a special, it would stop time for a small scene, similar to the Final Smash. It would deal massive damage, but draws power from a gauge. When the Pokemon is weak enough, you press a button that goes into a Pokemon Colloseum style catch sequence. It would then give you you're experience, level ups, new moves, etc. And a reward.
that is such a great i dea only I was thinking of a kingdom hearts style fighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back