Official Level Design Contest Voting: May-June 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
Single Player:
Grassy Grove Zone 1 by RedEchidna - 2/10
As many people have said, read Level Design 101. Your stage is far too cramped to be fun.

Diamondus Zone by Glaber - 5/10
Honestly, I don't see why people claim this map is so bad. It's not _GOOD_, but it certainly isn't awful, either. You need a lot more variety. Custom textures aren't enough to make an interesting map.

Nuclear Sunset Zone by BlueZero4 - 8/10
I quite enjoyed this. It was kinda weird going through practically every texture set in the game, though. Great use of multiple paths.

Battlewoods 3 by Glaber - 2/10
This sucks. Awful music, rooms you have to kill all the enemies in...this is not a Sonic stage. Stop making this crap.

Match:
MAPA1 - Medivo by Glaber - 4/10
This map was unbalanced, but it was actually kinda enjoyable. You NEED to make it so that the player doesn't hit the sky texture when hitting springs, though. That's just a bad idea.

MAPA2 - Hotel Hallway Zone by Dash the Hedgehog - 3/10
Despite how boring the layout was, I actually had a bit of fun here. It desperately needs something more interesting, although I know that would be hard with the insane amount of FOFs.

MAPA3 - Fort Island Zone by Xtreme Starfox - 5/10
Automatic + Rail + open stage = OMGWTF RAPAGE. I picked up both weapons and proceeded to rout the entire netgame, and there was nothing they can do about it. That's rather absurdly unbalanced if you ask me.

MAPA4 - Winter Twilight Zone by I'll Begin - 8/10
This map was quite enjoyable. I especially liked the location of the Explosion Ring. Plenty of area to roam, but small enough that I could always find a target. Great work.

MAPA5 - Carved Canyon by Some guy - 9/10
Unlike the previous Auto-Rail map, I LOVED this. The location of the Automatic Ring is one of the coolest and most interesting powerup locations I've seen in a map in a long time. I took the risk many times, and failed a few times trying. Eventually people started jumping off the moving platform to try and kill people with it. Brilliant work. The rest of the stage was very well laid out as well, with plenty of places to go, and never really feeling boring. Excellent work.

MAPA6 - Snow Shrine Zone by Oogaland - 8/10
Another great map. I really liked the spring arcs, and some of the airborne shots I made were delicious. I quite liked the spring routine to get the Explosion, and the entire map was just well made across the board.

Capture the Flag:
MAPA7 - Castle Splash Zone by Xtreme Starfox - 7/10
I was quite surprised by how much I enjoyed this map. It didn't seem all that well put together, but it was quite a lot of fun. There were many reports of people getting stuck, and camping the flag room was a tad insane, but overall I had a lot of fun on this map.

MAPA8 - Capture the flag... by Some guy - 8/10
This map was REALLY hard to get a capture in. I liked it, but lord, we won like, 2-1 on a 15 minute time limit. Maybe a few more places for the flag carrier to hide when waiting for a flag return?

MAPA9 - Mercury Sea Zone by Blue Warrior - 7/10
Another map I was surprised that I was enjoying so much. The flag room was sheer brilliance, and the use of water was excellent. I do wish it was a little easier to get out of the water in the middle of the map, though.

MAPAA - RPChat Clan Hangout Zone by Penopat - 6/10
Outside of some framerate issues in software, this was surprisingly entertaining. Looks pretty, and the bases were hilariously fun to camp. I racked up an insane score DAMN fast. Otherwise, the stage was fairly average.

Circuit:
I didn't get to play the circuit rotation in an actual netgame, so I'm not going to be scoring them.

MAPAB - Furious Gorge Zone by Xtreme Starfox
Uh, painful water? Huh? The stage isn't all that interesting, either, with framerate problems in areas and HUGE software bugs. Spice it up a little.

MAPAC - Perpetual Wasteland by Some guy
This map is highly confusing. It took me a while to figure out where I was supposed to go after hitting the Star Post because my natural reaction is to avoid going backwards, and every direction I went lead back. It took quite a while to figure out that there was only one Star Post and I just was supposed to go back to the entrance. Cool idea, but it doesn't work well without the player already knowing what's going on.

Guess I should rate these.

Match:
MAPA1 - Medivo by Glaber 5/10
This map was ok I guess.

MAPA2 - Hotel Hallway Zone by Dash the Hedgehog 3/10
I got annoyed by this map, you can't even see the blocks because they blend in with the floors. I had a hard time.

MAPA3 - Fort Island Zone by Xtreme Starfox 5/10
Wide open area outside the middle, pretty much with a auto rail, they won't stand a chance. The middle looks nice.

MAPA4 - Winter Twilight Zone by I'll Begin 10/10
Very nice map, I enjoyed this very much.

MAPA5 - Carved Canyon by Some guy 9/10
This map was alright.

MAPA6 - Snow Shrine Zone by Oogaland 8/10
Its a nice map, but with sonic, there are some places he cannot get out of.

Capture the Flag:
MAPA7 - Castle Splash Zone by Xtreme Starfox 7/10
This map was sure big, in some places you can thok right into a wall, which can be abused by someone that can hide in there with the flag.

MAPA8 - Capture the flag... by Some guy 7/10
I enjoyed this map, but hard to get a capture in here.

MAPA9 - Mercury Sea Zone by Blue Warrior 7/10
Nice map, but somehow I wish you can get out of the water in the middle.

MAPAA - RPChat Clan Hangout Zone by Penopat 6/10
Beside the fact theres a big software bug in this map, I enjoyed this map.

Circuit:
MAPAB - Furious Gorge Zone by Xtreme Starfox 2/10
Ok, why does the water hurt you? Plus ALOT of software bugs.

MAPAC - Perpetual Wasteland by Some guy 3/10
Yet, this map got me, I can't even tell where I'm suppose to go. I kept getting lost.

Ok Mystic. BW act 3 was getting mostly bad grades (scores) any way. At the very least BWact 4 is never going to happen, I was just surprised at the good scores act 3 got.

I am happy to see you liked Daimondus act 1 (SP) and hope you will enjoy Daimondus act 2.

Also out of the 3 locations for the Gems, what ones shoud be kept? (Locations are pond by Sally icon, the Tree by the lake with a sping to get up, and in a cave)

Okay, here we go...

Single Player

Grassy Grove Zone 1 - 1/10
Small passages don't work, I'm afraid. Apart from breaking the camera, it prevents you from looking ahead and planning your next move, which is a very important element to a single-player level.

Daimondus Zone - 4/10
A little linear, and some parts felt a bit awkward. Repeated use of that texture doesn't help, either.

Nuclear Sunset Zone - 7/10
Ah, very nice. Tricky in places without being cheap. I felt it finished a bit precipitously, though, and could maybe have used some parts that gave you more of an opportunity to just run, instead of finding the next challenge immediately.

Battlewoods 3 - 2/10
The music has been remarked upon above. Jetty swarms are just frustrating near springs.

Match

Medivo - 5/10
Not bad, but the lava-falls area didn't come out too well. World of pain is not a good idea, either, but at least it's difficult to get.

Hotel Hallway Zone - 1/10
Very awkward to move around. The use of the same texture everywhere makes navigating very difficult.

Fort Island Zone - 5/10
Not bad, but would have been better with yellow-spring heights instead of red-spring. Also, more openness between the inner and outer parts would have helped.

Winter Twilight Zone - 8/10
Oo, pretty. The design isn't particularly elaborate, but it doesn't need to be: the level of openness is just about right. One possible improvement, I think, would be to have had an area of intermediate height between the ground and the skyscrapers.

Carved Canyon - 7/10
Great layout, as always. Not so sure about the lifts, though: particularly about getting crushed under them.

Snow Shrine Zone - n/a
I'm not very pleased with how the upper bit turned out, and I think a fourth sunken area would have improved things.

Capture the Flag

Castle Splash Zone - 5/10
Too much height here, I think. I also had trouble finding the bases at times.

Capture the flag... - 7/10
I liked the middle area a lot, but I felt the bases lacked something.

Mercury Sea Zone - 6/10
A little too easy to get between bases, here. Liked the use of scenery outside the map, though.

RPChat Clan Hangout Zone - 7/10
Bonus points for team-dependent base access. I think the different paths to the base were maybe too separate from one another, though.

Circuit

Furious Gorge Zone - 4/10
Too awkward to move around, really, but not bad.

Perpetual Wasteland - 6/10
A really, really neat idea, but by the time you've worked it out, you've turned back on yourself a dozen times and are thoroughly frustrated.

I would like to note that in Mercury Sea Zone, you can get out of the water when in the center area. Go to the walls of the side platforms (the ones with yellow springs on them) and you'll see blue springs.

Oogaland said:
Daimondus Zone - 4/10
A little linear, and some parts felt a bit awkward. Repeated use of that texture doesn't help, either.
Which texture? I used several.

I know this is kind of off topic, but;

Mystic said:
I really liked the spring arcs, and some of the airborne shots I made were delicious.

Um, how do you make delicious shots?

Mystic said:
MAPAB - Furious Gorge Zone by Xtreme Starfox
Uh, painful water? Huh? The stage isn't all that interesting, either, with framerate problems in areas and HUGE software bugs. Spice it up a little.

Framerate problems? O.o

glaber said:
Furious Gorge - Xtreme Starfox 0/10 F--
Approately named as thats what this map left me. You don't map impossible maps for Tails players! <soupnatzi>No good rate for you</soupnatzi>

Eh You CAN Finish it with Tails.....
I did it. :P

Um, wow. It's a glitch. It doesn't work for Tails. Calling other people lame at the game just to make up for your glitch isn't going to do anything.

Segmint said:
Um, wow. It's a glitch. It doesn't work for Tails. Calling other people lame at the game just to make up for your glitch isn't going to do anything.

Well I'm telling you that you can. I did it.

(If you guys can't, too bad :lol: )

Got proof that you did it? You probably flew through that gap, instead of using the springs.

Oogaland said:
glaber said:
Which texture? I used several.
The diamond-y one. It strained my eyes a little. This is just an aesthetic point, however.
That narrowes it down to... Three. Can you give me a texture name? (open with xwe)

glaber said:
That narrowes it down to... Three. Can you give me a texture name? (open with xwe)
DAIM1, DAIM4 and so on. It's difficult to distinguish between them without studying them, in any case. The point I'm getting at is that they don't make good wall textures. Consider the official textures, for example: they're pleasant, and in some cases quite elaborate, but they don't attract your attention. This is a good thing: you should be looking at the path, not at the walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back