New & Old Horizons combo pack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, and also, you're using which resolution? I can't get the HUD right positionned like that in software with my PC ><

I'm using 640x400. Also, now that I've played through all of Floral Road, I have a couple of small criticisms:

*Please don't use descriptive subtitles. Nothing ruins the atmosphere of a dark flooded cave like the game telling you that it's a dark flooded cave.

*Avoid placing multiple air bubble patches right next to each other in natural environments. The fact that they always spawn bubbles at exactly the same time makes them look quite unnatural.

*Speaking of the cave in Floral Road 2, it could stand to be just a tad brighter. Atmosphere is great and all, but sometimes it needs to be sacrificed so you can see the edges of the platforms.

*You can walk right through the ropes on the sides of the bridges in Floral Road 3. Also, it seems at least one of those bridges doesn't quite render properly:

Jvo7Ke9.png

*Metal Sonic's laser orbs are so large they almost seem to come from above his body, and the object's painchance needs to be in FRACUNIT scale or else it won't explode correctly.

*Please don't use the turret charging sound effect for when Metal Sonic is firing. SRB2 players are trained to be prepared for an attack when that sound ends, not when it begins.

Other than that, though, this mod looks like it's coming along nicely, and Floral Road is definitely an improvement over the beta version (for the most part). Good job with what you've done so far.

I'm glad you liked it!
I am okay for the title, and I will bright up FRZ2 a little or add some barrers to avoid players falling in places where it's hard to see. For bubbles, I will make smaller holes and make only one spawn, as you suggested.
For the fences on the bridges, I think I will simply remove them since they'll be annoying otherwise and for the boss, unless I totally skipped the wiki, how can I make the orb spawn like in the original?

...for the boss, unless I totally skipped the wiki, how can I make the orb spawn like in the original?

A_FireShot's VAR2 allows you to adjust the vertical offset at which the shot is fired. Mess around with it a little and it shouldn't be hard to get an offset that makes the orb look like it's coming from Metal's chest instead of the top of his head.

EDIT: Also, a couple of thoughts about the archives:

*You should let the player unlock a level select for only the archived levels after they beat all of them, like what SRB2 does with SRB1 or what my Great Divide level does with the SRB2 Lock-on. This is especially true if you're going to have emblems in those levels, since otherwise the player will have to play through all of Floral Road again if they want to go back and find that one last emblem in Green Hill.

*I kind of liked the old Floral Road 2 music, and I'm disappointed that it was replaced with Floral Road 1's rather uninteresting level theme in the archived version.

Last edited:
This was fun, but there's still some large level design issues. There's still that problem of rooms that are too expansive for their own good. I had the biggest issue with it in the Metal Sonic fight where it's hard to see him (especially when he moves) and the majority of it is just a flat body of water.

Speaking of that boss, there's not much to it. The first few hits are just shooting orbs at you and the pinch mode changes that to two orbs per burst and a laser with timing I don't understand. It never seems to decide on when it wants to end. I think it actually started up another laser during one and that's why it felt like it was dragging. And the Red Crawlas you placed in there just seemed really pointless. They're not enough to be a threat, but they're still enough to take focus away from Metal Sonic.

It feels like you threw away a noticeable portion of scenery. I haven't actually played the OLDC version in a while, but I don't remember it being this empty. You could either add in some more flowers and greenery or make the rooms just smaller so it feels like the space is filled.

There was one part of FRZ2 that I really enjoyed: the underwater climb. It's mostly because you're using the water to be platform-y, rather than just being tedious. It's an interesting idea, although it needs more to it, rather than just the handful of platforms with Red Crawlas.

I like this pack enough to leave it on my SD card, but there's a large enough portion of things I disliked to where I couldn't be all that positive about it during criticism.

So, I know this is a little weird but, tomorrow I will go on holydays, and I'm not sure that we have Internet there, if we have it, everything I will say next in this post will be useless.

If we don't have it, I give to Ors the reponsability of posting the eventual updates, as being in the dev team, he can do it via alternate file hosters (No way to make him upload directly in there ><). This is just for preventing infractions/bans for him, another proof is that... log.

On skype...
Code:
[19:57:57] Lat': Also, I'm going on holydays tomorrow
[19:58:11] Lat': so I'll not be here until Saturday if we have internet there
[19:58:20] Lat': otherwise, I'll be back in 2 weeks ;_;
[19:58:26] Ors: ok...
[19:58:35] Lat': I will be on skype anyways
[19:58:57] Lat': If I'm not here Sunday evening, I will let you post the eventual updates of NH
[19:59:43] Ors: Me? I'm not the developer of that thread. =0
[20:00:03] Lat': Hm
[20:00:11] Lat': But you can use an alternate file hoster no?
[20:00:45] Ors: Yes
[20:00:45] Lat': And you're in the dev team anyways
[20:00:56] Lat': You can also copypaste this message as a proof.
[20:01:54] Ors: Hmm... They won't believe. What if you would PM some moderator about this? Then they would believe for sure
[20:02:08] Lat': Of course.
[20:02:22] Lat': Hm which one of them could I PM eventually?
[20:02:37] Lat': Mystic? To be sure?
[20:02:46] Lat': Or I'll just post in the thread
[20:03:38] Ors: That would maybe work too...
[20:03:49] Lat': Yeah
[20:03:58] Lat': and much better than wasting the time of a mod
[20:03:59] Lat': X)
[20:04:11] Ors: yeah

New update coming soon this week, Heaven Ascend's layout is entierely done, it justs needs some items addition, such as an additionnal checkpoint and a good checking if Score, Time and Rings emblems are balanced.
There is also the first act of a new zone that is in work, started it yesterday but it's very incomplete.

New update coming soon this week, Heaven Ascend's layout is entierely done, it justs needs some items addition, such as an additionnal checkpoint and a good checking if Score, Time and Rings emblems are balanced.
There is also the first act of a new zone that is in work, started it yesterday but it's very incomplete.
Things to do for Heaven ascend zone 1:

• Checkpoints: I'll add one more to the last place before the boss fight.

• Time emblem: I think it's fine. Tails time wins it quite easily, Knuckles time doesn't win it so easily. Sonic is the fastest if you know some cuts. (They weren't intentional. I just don't remove them to make record attack more fun).
I don't know if it needs ring attack emblem, it overlaps with score emblem very much.

Last edited:
(God, this topic was inactive since a little time now... Appart Ors posting here...)
ANYWAYS, you probably remember than old Black Crawla that launched missiles? And that Fire&Ice zone I talked? Then...

(Please, if you quote this post, DO NOT paste this image in any circonstances because of its size and the time it can take to load on mobiles and small pcs)

Feedback about decorations that could be put here will be APPRECIATED, such as Ice Flowers and the forms they could have, because the only decoration avaiable here is the blue crystal for the moment...

Heh. I had a similar idea for shootable Crawlas myself but they were mounted to the floor instead but I kinda scrapped the idea though.

Turret%20Fire%20with%20Shade%20Larger.png

I did this sprite back in March. I was impressed with it at the time, but I'm not that impressed anymore though.

Last edited:
Crawlas are omnipresents in NH, we have hum...
The blue crawla, The Red Doublehit, the Grey Doublehit, the Green RapidFire, the AnoyingMovingTurretCrawla (This black one), and even a crawla boss, so except to fear crawlas more than before while playing the incoming updates... :P

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

And now, you will fear the -maybe small ranged but- deadly pop-up flamethrower!
(Images are in spoiler because they are two, and because of reasons that I mentioned on loading time)

When I give a level to Ors to make him test it, and when he says he will continue it, I always except for great things, once again, this was a great addition he added to Icefield Volcano 1 (Original the name, donnut steel)

Aside of Icefield Volcano's progress, I made some new emblems for the game, which are...
DevTime emblems, which speedruners may find fun!
Score emblems for boss level, using the "Guard Bonus" reward.
In the screenshot below, you can see I do not have Rings and DevTime emblem from Heaven Ascend Act 1, it's because they're hum... kinda hard ^^'

EDIT: Also, can someone tell me what is the color used for vanilla Ring emblems? Mine look like mustard for some reasons

Rings are SKINCOLOR_GOLD, not SKINCOLOR_YELLOW. Also, your non-devtime times look a little bright. Are you using SKINCOLOR_GREY for them? EDIT: God damn it.

I tend to put devtimes in Extra Emblems, not regular map emblems, because a devtime is supposed to be a challenge people go above and beyond for, not something they have to do to complete their row. But yours scales up better, though.

Anyways, I'm eagerly anticipating playing the new version! You planning to enter this upcoming OLDC?

Okay, Thanks for the help with emblem color, and yes, using skincolor_grey for time emblems...

Anyways, I'm eagerly anticipating playing the new version! You planning to enter this upcoming OLDC?

Yup, version 2.0 will include Heaven Ascend Act 1 and 2, such as Icefield Volcano 1 and 3.
And yes, I and Ors are working together on Icefield Volcano and I maybe think that we can send it to the upcoming OLDC, this will let us more time to do more maps before the release.

Also, concerning DevTime emblems, they will be optional for unlocking the Pandora Box, even if they will help if you don't want to do a Ring/Score emblem on some levels...

This post was pretty old actually ^^
It was from the early version of the level pack. His/her difficulty was maybe to find that the way was on the bridge instead of in the top the the mountain. There was supposed to be a way there for 1.0 but as I wanted to keep those level as they were in the alpha.

Anyways, IVZ1 is now 99.9% done, it justs needs some fixes for Software mode, as it looks ugly in a certain big outdoor area and emblems.

Some news!

Wanna know what's goin' on?
I think yes, so here's the progress of IVZ1, as I decided to extend it for at least 30 more seconds of gameplay,
Here are some screenshots in OpenGL for eye safety.

Here's a screenshot of a small area that you can acces by a snow-slide, pretty area made by Ors, as we worked together for this level

Here's a screenshot of the Crawla boss that is the guardian of the Volcano (amazing backstory) Once beaten, you can acces to the last part of the level which is being make.

Here's a small coridor with a lava river that pushes big Ice Blocks, not a good idea to go with them, unless ya want to die.

And here's an enormous outdoor area that will probably help you for the score emblem, unless the biggest amount of points is somewhere else?

And aside of that?
Some other minor things were done, such as the Bronze and Silver rings monitor pannels that now flip and have a yellow border. I also swapped Gold and Silver Rings monitor as a reference to 1.09.x.

Any new level in work?
Yup, the 1st special stage is coming up, and they will be races with Metal Sonic, there are no screenshots for the moment because of the level being way too incomplete (No things at all, just the level design itself and poor decorations so meh)
There's also Heaven Ascend 1 that is done, here are screenies...

The first outdoor area

The laggy sector with a strange red liquid... What could it be?

The factory's entrance!

The last building!

Last edited:
Wow, sorry for triple post but, that's my thread so meh X)
Here's the last section of IZV1, it's inside the Volcano Itself, and it has a beautiful hot colormap in it!

NOTE: Was tested and approved in software, it's playable and the colormap is really light.

I think one bridge might be broken

If it isn't me.

ezimba18684519097002.png

--

I've had some problems facing Metal Sonic's turret laser.

I thought the sound was for him charging.

--

Great levels! Short but really enjoyable.

Keep up the great work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back