New Nintendo HD Console "Wii U"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooh, look! It's the bottom half of a DS!
Am i one of the few people to think that theyre just trying to combine two of their best inventions? Thats all it looks like to me. I understand that its nintendo, and they like to play around with technology, but the wii itself already has sold well enough. If they should be experimenting with anything, it should be the multiplayer. They made mario a 4 player co-op, and look how popular that became. That's nintendo's ticket to big bucks: remake classic games and turn them into multiplayer. Make another 4 swords, another nightmare in dreamland (a shameless remake of the nes game maybe, but tons of fun with multiple people), a 2d sonic game with multiplayer (yeah, i know, "thats what srb2 is for!"), hell, even megaman. Theyve given us the option of playing as other characters, now they need to give us the opportunity to destroy a robot master with a friend. Xbox and ps have seriously got tyem beaten on graphics, and to some extent gameplay. But Nintendo's secret weapon is reimagining nostalgic games that we all grew up with. At least it seems like it might turn out well

Ooh, look! It's the bottom half of a DS!
Am i one of the few people to think that theyre just trying to combine two of their best inventions? Thats all it looks like to me. I understand that its nintendo, and they like to play around with technology, but the wii itself already has sold well enough. If they should be experimenting with anything, it should be the multiplayer. They made mario a 4 player co-op, and look how popular that became. That's nintendo's ticket to big bucks: remake classic games and turn them into multiplayer. Make another 4 swords, another nightmare in dreamland (a shameless remake of the nes game maybe, but tons of fun with multiple people), a 2d sonic game with multiplayer (yeah, i know, "thats what srb2 is for!"), hell, even megaman. Theyve given us the option of playing as other characters, now they need to give us the opportunity to destroy a robot master with a friend. Xbox and ps have seriously got tyem beaten on graphics, and to some extent gameplay. But Nintendo's secret weapon is reimagining nostalgic games that we all grew up with. At least it seems like it might turn out well

Except for the fact that quite a few of those games you mentioned are not Nintendo's.

Of all the different varieties of potential for the WiiU the one that intrigues me the most IS the potential it has for multiplayer in giving a player one view on the handheld, and the rest an entirely different one. This will give them even more ways to approach multiplayer for their games. I'd like to see the price and how it really ends up being used before I decide if its a console I'll really want right away.

You DO realize this isn't anything new, right? It's been around since 2006 with the "Remote play" function of PS3 and PSP.

The DS used it for Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass multiplayer, because you're both looking at different screens. Just because its been used before in a different way doesn't mean its not new. Also, we kinda lost track of our PSP, I'm not even sure if we still have it, maybe it broke. And as for the PS3 I don't own one because there aren't enough console exclusive titles that I want.

I didn't know that the PSP's remote play was used for multiplayer that way, I thought it was just used to piggyback onto your PS3 and play it on the PSP instead. All the same, it doesn't matter if its new. A gimmick is not enough to sell a console, but in the right hands its exciting. Sometimes it takes a while to master it, but Nintendo generally came through with most of their games for the Wii. There are more great games on the Wii than I have the money to buy and the time to play.

There's no point to console wars. When it comes down to it, you get the one that has the game library that appeals to you. It may not always be the one with the best specs or the coolest gimmicks.

I don't get why people keep bringing up remote play.

I used remote play once or twice. You get to access SOME content(And a VERY slim collection of games) that is on your PS3 with lag. How is it similar to the Wii U?

Gamecube games as WiiUware??? You realize that each Gamecube game is about 1.2 Gb, right? Downloading that size is going to take as minimum 4-7 hours. It will also matter the size of WiiU's internal storage. It then should be around 250 - 500 gb (I have nooo idea how many blocks is that [why wouldn't Nintendo stick to the standards?]). So it is very unlikely Nintendo is going to do that, but nobody said that it's impossible.

Gamecube games as WiiUware??? You realize that each Gamecube game is about 1.2 Gb, right? Downloading that size is going to take as minimum 4-7 hours. It will also matter the size of WiiU's internal storage. It then should be around 250 - 500 gb (I have nooo idea how many blocks is that [why wouldn't Nintendo stick to the standards?]). So it is very unlikely Nintendo is going to do that, but nobody said that it's impossible.

You can download games on the PS3 and 360, 1.2gb is nothing.

You can download games on the PS3 and 360, 1.2gb is nothing.
Then again, the PS3 comes with a 100+GB harddrive. I don't remember what they said about the Wii U, if it even has one. :/ (Oh, the Wii U has no GC controller support too! There is always the CCPro...)

It is apparently a rumor, and it came from this interview.
http://www.nintendogal.com/2011/07/19/nintendogal-com-interviews-amber-mccollom-e3-2011/7180/

If this ends up being true, I wonder what kind of Gamecube games will be up on the shop. I'm guessing all first party titles and a couple third parties.

Edit: Why didn't I think about this before? The New Play Control! titles will probably appear, since they were already redesigned with the Wii Remote in mind.

Last edited:
Okay, it seems my role here is to state facts.

HD on standard wii games, you know everything about this if you've used Dolphin. It is very easily possible for the Wii U to have the ability of playing Wii games in HD, it all depends on if nintendo wants to fuck with us or not.

Architecture, the Wii U is confirmed to be backwards compatible with Wii games, so that pretty much confirms the fact that some IOSes will be included with it. If the Wii U is ever exploited, this makes homebrew more familiar to get used to.

Gamecube backwards compatibility, with the original wii, this was just dependent on a simple MIOS included with the console. A disc drive supporting the discs and an updated MIOS to use Wii U controllers means we've got GC games once again. If nintendo isn't planning on doing this, then homebrew may bring it to us depending on how far it can go. Hopefully it's compatible with ALL types of Nintendo Optical Disc instead of just Wii/Wii U ones.

All we can do is hope that Nintendo fucks up something and gives us another security vulnerability for homebrew

Originally Posted by Wolfy
All we can do is hope that Nintendo fucks up something and gives us another security vulnerability for homebrew

If Nintendo was to support homebrew, it would probably boost its ratings...

I wouldn't be optimistic about Wii games in HD on Wii U. That kind of thing would require a software-level backward compatibility layer. Microsoft already tried that with 360 -> Original Xbox and it was a trainwreck.

All I'm saying is that if Nintendo doesn't give us HD Wii games then homebrew will(simple, change display resolution of Wii games and include some optional internal resolution settings)

Eh, they're becoming like apple..
images

That said, at least it brings a spark of new game play possibility for gaming companies.

Oh god

You turn on a console and..
Oh my god..OH GOD
ITS A WIISP

AKA = Wii + PSP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back