New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played the demo on my friend's 360. Messed around with Sonic's awkward physics. Then I lol'd, just because of how ridiculous it looks for Sonic to be practically standing sideways. It was only the very first stage though, so eh.

From first appearances Sonic 4 seems like it might be fun, but the stiff physics just made me miss the old Sonic even more. Afterwards I ended up buying Sonic 2 on the live arcade just to pass time. Had some fun versus and coop action there. After all these years, I don't think I've searched every area that Sonic 2 has to offer. I keep finding these high routes that I never knew about, and it's a pleasant surprise for someone who's played the game for ten years or so.

I recently bought and played through the game in one sitting and I had fun while doing so. Wound up finishing with 3 emeralds and got ye olde "TRY AGAIN" screen actually.

I've got to say, it really was quite fun but the game also had a fair share of unfortunate quirks as well. In both the physics, music and level design, while ultimately neither of those points brought down the experience very much for me, they do still exist.

Well, I played the PS3 demo, and I'm rather impressed. Definetly worth the $15 I'm planning on getting.

Also, I didn't notice much lense flare at all.

I'm #16 on Lost Labyrinth Zone act 2. Want to get to the top 10 before someone finds an exploit to the act or something.

Also #25 or so on Mad Gear Zone act 1

For those of you that didn't know, you can play your own music while playing this game. Yup that's right, blast through 4 zones with your favorite artist, album, single, etc. I tried this out with the Halo 2 theme, doesn't fit at all, but its pretty damn epic.

Well, you can do that with pretty much every game on the 360/maybe PS3.
Not exactly, and even if you could the music stops once you actually get into gameplay. For instance BFBC2, you can play your own music in menu, but stops once you go into a game.

I'm just surprised they allowed it in this game, never thought sega was this generous. Well atleast now I won't have to listen to it's soundtrack.

Quick aside, here: The past three posts were done by 2 "Supersonics", and a dude with a Super Sonic avatar. Mix it up a little, fellas!

I finished the game last Friday. Still trying to get the Sonic head avatar reward for collecting all the rings at the end.

Overall, I liked the game, but it was far from perfect. I wouldn't exactly call it a worthy sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Of course, the physics were a bit of a problem, but they're not too bad once you get used to them (not to say you should have to). And I also thought the screen was too much zoomed in on Sonic. You can't see far enough ahead of you to react to anything in time (unless you've got the level memorized).

Oh look a review.

This new title looks, feels, and sounds like an upgraded Sonic game. Easily digestible torch lighting puzzles and mine cart segments do well to break up the game’s pacing, but more variety would have been welcomed. Playing four stages within one level’s theme gets repetitive. Additional incentive for enduring frustratingly difficult special stages to collect arbitrary gems would have been nice, too – Super Sonic and a teaser ending just doesn’t cut it anymore.
Sonic does his best to make things like they used to be, but all the candlelit dinners and chaos emeralds in the world can’t hide the fact that we’ve both changed. It may not be the be all end all Sonic game that professed enthusiasts like myself have been waiting 15 years for, but Sonic 4 is a fun, frenetic download for fans and newcomers alike.

Probably going to download(and by download I mean pirate) this for the Wii. I'm sorry, but if you want me to pay $15 for a WiiWare game, I expect more than 12 levels that can be cleared in 3 minutes.

Here's another thing that bothers me about the game. When Eggman appears in the screen, he's invincible, until he starts attacking. After you hit him, it doesn't matter how many times you bounce off his head, he's invincible for about five seconds.

What's the deal? They should at least give us some cues for when Eggman could be hurt. They could have made him flash after being hit until he was vulnerable again. But instead, they leave everything to guesswork.

I've also noticed that people with wide screen TVs are at an advantage. You know the boss who throws those annoying Eggman bomb things at you while you're chasing him? Can't even see Eggman on my full screen TV.

Yeah, like I said earlier. There are A LOT of complaints regarding how much you can see on your screen. I see perfectly fine, but person B over there with a 2002 TV can't see half the screen.

Eggman. Well, I think its fine they put it in there. You could probably defeat the bosses in 5 seconds if they didn't have an invincible period.

I'm surprised that you can be completely ignorant to what is by an extremely wide margin the most glaring flaw in the game.
If you think the physics are anything similar to the classic games, you're wrong.

Did I say they were similar to the classics?

Read my post again.

And also, why are you attacking my opinion on a game? I don't care if you think the physics are flawed, I don't think it is, and that's all that matters to me. I like the game, and there shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 3, Members: 0, Guests: 3)

Back