New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
8wkth4.jpg

I know at the best we'll probably get Unleashed Sonic, but if Sega makes this the model for Needlemouse, that's going to mean a definite buy from me.

the announcement of a new Sonic the Hedgehog game is always news, but with the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1, the folks at Sega are taking a novel approach by marrying old-school Sonic gameplay and new-school delivery. Sonic 4 will be a 2D game with 3D visuals for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii and will be distributed as a downloadable game upon its release this summer.
Somebody please tell me that they won't do more than 3 episodes...

Hey guys, guess what?

promo1.png

Of all the freaking consoles to pick, they chose the iPhone, not anything... ya' know, strong enough to handle a crapton of 3D? *coughPSPorPCcough*

There's going to be death pits, and you'll have to destroy enemies with homing attack to get across.

Just you watch. I know that's going to ******* happen.

Seriously... This is a huge letdown. SEGA is now officially dead to me. This looks like Sonic Rush but slower.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish they didn't name this title "Sonic 4". I know they want to play up the nostalgia factor, but I seriously doubt that this title/series of titles will live up to that great trio of games that everybody and their mother has played. It's kind of like what happened with "Sonic The Hedgehog" (2006). It isn't as great as the original and just ended up tainting a fine and recognizable name.

Also, I think the guys in charge of the art in this game are letting nostalgia take too much of a priority. Sure, that level featured in the newest trailer looks like a solid Green Hill Zone tribute, but it's terribly dull and not the least bit innovative. Seriously, this sort of GHZ service been done to death with Emerald Hill, Palmtree Panic, Neo Green Hill, Leaf Forest, Sunset Hill, and the countless GHZ remakes. Enough. I want something visually new.

From what I've seen from the trailer, I haven't seen much that seriously turns me off, but there hasn't been anything that grabs my attention.

GREG THE CAT said:
Seriously... This is a huge letdown. SEGA is now officially dead to me. This looks like Sonic Rush but slower.

About that last bit... My thoughts exactly. Actually, though, I am pleased that the game appears to much slower than the Rush series was. Maybe the speed in that trailer is disconcerting because we're used to Sonic's sleek post-Adventure reiteration zooming through levels at breakneck speed. I will admit he does look a little odd running so relatively slow.

Last edited:
FIRST @ SRB2MB

No, I believe it was...
Code:
<~ScarredSun> http://www.sonicretro.org/2010/02/sonic-4-first-gameplay-footage/
<~ScarredSun> FIRST @ MOTHER******* RETRO

In all seriousness, I think this game will be pretty decent. However, this was completely and utterly predictable. I never thought SEGA would be able to make a completely classic-feel game. It was pretty obvious right from the start that this would be a 2.5D game, and that it would use the modern Sonic. That doesn't mean this'll end up sucking, though. I'm still on the boat with this thing nonetheless. I think it'll be pretty interesting.

I can't get it any time soon because of the lack of a hard drive for my 360, and they CHOSE THE DAMN IPHONE OVER THE PC WITH STEAM--*cough*, though.

Personally, I'm not liking the New Sonic's running animation, but that'll be fixed. SOmething that just occured to me though is that there will somehow be a new character, or a Sonic character like Shadow or something. Because of this explanation...
Sonic 1- Sonic
Sonic 2- Tails
Sonic 3- Knuckles
Sonic 4- ???

Although, I bet the character (if any) would die, be lost forever or just go away saying that "It's too much for me personally".
That would be awesome if it was Mighty. <3

Also, I've heard a suggestion before which I agree with, it would be awesome if you could download some of the newer gen characters for multiplayer and that for those people who like them.

Wombatwarlord777 said:
...and the countless GHZ remakes. Enough. I want something visually new.
I would like it to have heaps of waterfalls and that, like Splash Canyon or something.

Anyway, I'm just really excited.

Also...
Wombatwarlord777 said:
About that last bit... My thoughts exactly. Actually, though, I am pleased that the game appears to much slower than the Rush series was. Maybe the speed in that trailer is disconcerting because we're used to Sonic's sleek post-Adventure reiteration zooming through levels at breakneck speed. I will admit he does look a little odd running so relatively slow.

Oh NOW people start saying they like the newer generation model and starting to compliment it. Only when a classic tribute is out.
Well, not really compliment, but still, you know what I mean.

What if you stopped being disappointed considering you've seen so little content of the game until now?

SOmething that just occured to me though is that there will somehow be a new character, or a Sonic character like Shadow or something. Because of this explanation...
Sonic 1- Sonic
Sonic 2- Tails
Sonic 3- Knuckles
Sonic 4- ???

Although, I bet the character (if any) would die, be lost forever or just go away saying that "It's too much for me personally."

Given the effort being made by SEGA to convey that Sonic is the only known playable character, I doubt any new playable characters are going to be introduced in this game. Even if that occured, I doubt they would be dropped with such a serious tone. Sonics 1 through 3+K were pretty lighthearted. More likely than not any new characters will go their seperate ways without much of an explanation.

That said, I'd love it if SEGA somehow worked in Tails and Knuckles into the game, with their own unique paths, start/end points, and interconnected stories, a la S3+K. I guess the ultimate fantasy of mine would be entirely unique routes for Tails, as opposed to a few inconvenient caches of rings and itemboxes.

Your point does have me wondering though... What fundamental gameplay innovation is Sonic 4 going to have? Sonic 2 introduced the spindash, Sonic 3 gave us a flight-enhanced Tails and the elemental shields, ect. ect. So, what can Sonic 4 give us? Increased maneuverability as Sonic via the homing attack? That could work, I guess, but it's not entirely fresh, considering that the move is over ten years old and has already been applied to multiple 2D Sonic platformers.

Also, before I end this monster post, let me express my prediction that any WiiMote wagging that comes with the WiiWare version of this game is sure to control like ass and/or be entirely redundant.

Last edited:
It's funny. The first trailer said that they will focus on speed. Yet people still begged for everything to be classic retro. Now we have a new trailer, showing that it's basically the same speed as Sonic 1, and now you guys are saying the opposite. Speed wasn't the focus, yet people wished for him to be faster. Way to go guys. No matter what happens, you guys keep crapping on SEGA.

And just a reminder to some of you: they had the Character Countdown Challenge for a reason. Sure, Tails and Knuckles weren't there, but they also mentioned that they listened to fans about not including any furries into the game. You will only see Sonic, Eggman, and maybe random woodland critters from robots.

The trailer itself is simply another teaser trailer for me. Although we now have a name, some concept art, and a few seconds of gameplay added in. I'm hoping we'll get more ingame videos of some of the zones, just like they did with Sonic Unleashed.

And just a reminder to some of you: they had the Character Countdown Challenge for a reason. Sure, Tails and Knuckles weren't there, but they also mentioned that they listened to fans about not including any furries into the game. You will only see Sonic, Eggman, and maybe random woodland critters from robots.
Don't forget that obscure locked character on the official Sonic 4 site. Either SEGA was lying to us or that one is non-playable. I hope the second is true.

The fact that the homing attack is incorporated in turned me off slightly, but I'm not "OMG THIS GAME WILL SUCKZ" yet.

It looks as if some of you folks are living representations of the Sonic cycle. Just saying. :)

Are you folks so cynically inclined about Sonic games that any announcement results in a knee-jerk reaction? Fact of the matter is -- and I knew this from the start -- Sega's not going to go back to classic Sonic 100-percent. No Sonic 3-esque sprites, no Sonic 3-esque old-school silent cutscene charm. Technology gets improved, and game designers will want to take advantage of it. Personally, if Sega goes back to classic Sonic 70-percent or more (Unleashed is, like, 30-40 percent I think,) then that's good enough for me. It's just being realistic. And that's what I think this 3-second gameplay footage shows.

Whatever. There'll be game info unlocked on Friday, I think. In all consolation, I think that 5-second music track on SEGA.com was terrible. :)

Last edited:
Green eyes :(
Homing attack :(
Don't mess this up sega :(
Whats wrong with Sonic's older look and the homing attack? ONTOPIC: They better make avaible for ALL systems, no download recquired, but so far I'm not worried. Sonic Unleashed was great if you don't count the werehog stages and so far SEGA has it's act together.

No download required? This game is for Xbox Live, Playstation Network, and Wiiware. Download IS required.

On that note, I also hope that it won't be on the iPhone only. At least the PSP, since it might handle it.

They said only Sonic and Eggman would be in.

SO THE NEW SLOT IS OBVIOUSLY EGGMAN :D

...Or maybe it's fat Sonic? Or Mr. Needlemouse? Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back