New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
More reused badniks from Genesis games? How very creative... This makes me feel even more like this is nothing but an uninspired rehash of old material.

EDIT: Anyway, aren't we all excited that SEGA is finally gonna reveal the game's actual name? Because nobody has any clue, amirite? *coughsonic4cough*

Last edited:
Hah, I love the shout-out. I'll have to keep an eye on this thing, maybe I'll put some concept art together myself.

I myself am starting to get annoyed with this tit-for-tat marketing ploy. We didn't have to bargain for information in the past.

Personally I think its a very clever marketing strategy. Its been very effective and of all of their "back-to-roots" advertisements, this one has seen the most success. Granted, the fact that some of the things they are saying are much more in line with what the retro fans have been asking for than the things they said about Unleashed or Sonic '06, and that helps too.

More reused badniks from Genesis games? How very creative... This makes me feel even more like this is nothing but an uninspired rehash of old material.

EDIT: Anyway, aren't we all excited that SEGA is finally gonna reveal the game's actual name? Because nobody has any clue, amirite? *coughsonic4cough*

I know right? It's almost as bad as Nintendo, its not bad enough that goombas and koopas are in every game and Bowser's always the boss, but lately they've been releasing games for the sole purpose of replicating the style of the old ones, namely New Super Mario Bros DS and Wii. Could be worse though, could be like Megaman 9, look at how much people hated THAT.
*wink*

I know right? It's almost as bad as Nintendo, its not bad enough that goombas and koopas are in every game and Bowser's always the boss, but lately they've been releasing games for the sole purpose of replicating the style of the old ones, namely New Super Mario Bros DS and Wii. Could be worse though, could be like Megaman 9, look at how much people hated THAT.
*wink*
That's a different thing entirely. Mario has always had the same enemies in all games. Sonic games however always had distinct badniks for every zone.

That's a different thing entirely. Mario has always had the same enemies in all games. Sonic games however always had distinct badniks for every zone.

Well, we've always had similar enemy architypes in the Sonic games (projectile-shooting wasps, leaping piranhas, object-chucking tree-dwelling monkeys, ect.), so it's not as if each new batch of enemies is revolutionary.

Contradicting the cynical tone of my earlier post, that updated Motobug artwork is one the neatest things I've seen from the franchise in a long time. I suppose I wouldn't mind bringing back old enemies, though my personal ideal is a mostly-new badnik army with a few updated classics.

Also, that second to last paragraph of the last exerpt makes me giddy, as a fan of the way that gameplay was handled by the early 90's games. I just hope that the developers remember the importance of platforming and gimmicks as well.

I might just participate by using Lunch meat and oreos, and maybe some cheese too.

Last edited:
Clearly, the target demographic Sonic Team is shooting for is the "hardcore" gamer that plays Halo or God of War... not the "casual" gamer that enjoys the likes of New Super Mario Bros or Wario Land Shake It.

...NSMB is casual?

...Since when?

Okay, seriously we've hit stupid now if NSMBW is called a "casual" game. Is SMB3 a "casual" game? SMB1? Both of those games generated an audience that included tons of people who didn't really play games. Just because a game attracts a casual audience doesn't make it casual, it just means it has a broad appeal and has a good difficulty curve to get those people to enjoy the game, even if they're bad at it.

...it's a shorter Sonic with stubbier quills, souless black eyes and a weight problem. I honestly fail to see how it would make such a big difference in the long run.

I'm not saying it would make a difference, I'm just saying I would appreciate it personally.

Mind you, that remark wasn't directed specifically at you, moreso the crowd in general. It's nice to see at least that some people can admit there are more important things to fix though.

Regarding some of the concept art. EDIT: Well, I just read that the kamakiller is fake. How about the kani punch?:

4276408701_82bfe71a84.jpg

Name: Kani Punch. Surprised that it's not Gani Punch, but whatever. I believe the original crab in Sonic the Hedgehog was Gani Gani.

6dsnhsj87375nd8wm47d.jpg

Name: Kama Killer. I hated this guy in Sonic 2 (at that one part in Metropolis Zone where you bounce up the yellow springs and he's waiting at the top for you on a platform to the left xD)

Last edited:
Mystic said:
Just because a game attracts a casual audience doesn't make it casual, it just means it has a broad appeal and has a good difficulty curve to get those people to enjoy the game, even if they're bad at it.

By technicality, that makes it a casual game. It has simple gameplay, it appeals to the wider audience, are fairly pick-up-and-play, and have aids to help you complete it even if you stink.

Of course, when you say casual, I think you mean "has terrible production values, isn't fun unless you're drunk, over the age of 23, or female". No, NSMBWii does not deserve the same stigma other casual games have... but that doesn't mean it isn't gonna get it from your average "hardcore" gamer.

Either way, you're taking my statement out of context... I was making a sarcastic remark about how the industry sees the Wii as a casual console even though it has games like NSMBWii and Wario Land Shake It that sound just like what Needlemouse would be striving to be.
If you want my opinion, the emphasis on "casual" versus "harcore" has gone too far into the extremes and is doing an excellent job of distracting people from the "retro" versus "modern" debate. I call myself a gaming enthusiast, which is basically a fancy way of saying I'm a "casual" gamer that plays "hardcore" games.

Edit: FFFFFFFFF- late

Also, OREO CONCEPT ART GOGOGO

Not so much Oreo as it is Lunch meat and Spegtitti. I might try something with more Oreo in it a bit later. Just for the fun of it.
MVC-616F.jpg

The oreo is the eyes.

Last edited:
At times like this, It makes me wish I had a scanner. I draw better on paper than on Photoshop. But after counting the Fan-arts everyone posted on the SEGA America Blog, I'd say that they have won the contest.
(Yes. I actually scrolled down to the very end of the comments, counting down how many fan-arts have been submitted. I was bored, OK?)
My expectations for this game raised up a little bit. Keep an eye out on that Blog next week.

EDIT: Anyone else think that the "very cool extra bonus…" is Sonic's concept art for this game?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back