New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
SEGA! You have brought dishonor upon your name for the last time!
seppuku.png

Uh... What? I don't get it. Do you not like Spinball or the fact that the trailer was done in a week?

And the past decade wasn't?

Bigboi... I'm afraid SEGA is laughing at us. News just in....

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/11/project-needlemouse-character-countdown-day-1/
Monday Jan 11, 2010
Project Needlemouse Character Countdown – Day 1!
Hey there SEGA fans!
Today is the day you’ve been waiting for. In the months since we announced a special little game code named Project Needlemouse, you guys have bombarded us with great interest and questions about what the game might be, who that figure in the silhouette really is, and when we were going to start releasing more info about the game.
Well, read closely and rejoice – because today, we’re finally ready to start talking to you guys more about what Project Needlemouse is all about!
This week, we’re going to reveal a full list of playable characters in Project Needlemouse - if you guys can live up to our oldschool Sonic challenge, that is! Here’s how it works:

1: The Details: Each name on the picture above is a potential playable character in Project Needlemouse. However, not all of them are going to make the cut – and each day this week until Friday, we’re going to update this picture with a rejected stamp over those who will not actually be showing up!
2: The Challenge: Answer our trivia questions about oldschool Sonic games! (Genesis era) We’ll post trivia questions each day on a specific part of our SEGA/Sonic sites, and you all have to work together to figure out the right answers and post them there! Each day we’ll challenge you guys to get a certain number of people to post the correct answers – and if you meet that challenge, we’ll remove more names from the picture in a new blog the following day!
*About Bonus Points: If you go above and beyond the expected results, the community will earn a bonus point for that day. Earn at least three bonus points and we’ll give you all something special this Friday!
3: The Schedule:
Monday: SEGA Blogs
Tuesday: SEGA/Sonic Facebook
Wednesday: Official Sonic Forum
Thursday: SEGA Twitter
Day 1: SEGA Blogs (Difficulty: Easy)
Challenge: Get 100 Replies with 3/3 Correct answers
Bonus Point unlocked with 250+ correct responses!
Trivia Questions:
1: In Sonic 1, how many rings were needed at the end of an act to enter a special stage?
2: How many emeralds were in the original Sonic 1 for Genesis / Mega Drive?
3: What colors were these emeralds?
Remember: It’s all about momentum. This statement holds as true with this challenge as it did in the Sonic games that many of us grew up playing. Fans across the world will need to work together and spread the word if you want to succeed. So build up strong now, because the ending is going to be a challenge!
You have just under 20 hours from the time of this posting to reach 100 correct replies, or 250 for the bonus point! Good luck - the Needlemouse challenge begins now!

I mean.... SERIOUSLY? Shadow, Chip, Tikal... And Needlemouse is a new character? Not Mighty, Fang, or Ray.... We get these other guys we really don't care about anymore that are far from retro? WHAT THE HELL?!

SEGA just let down most of their retro fanbase just now. WE THOUGHT YOU LEARNED YOUR DAMN LESSON, SEGA!!!

Bigboi... I'm afraid SEGA is laughing at us. News just in....

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/01/11/project-needlemouse-character-countdown-day-1/

I mean.... SERIOUSLY? Shadow, Chip, Tikal... And Needlemouse is a new character? Not Mighty, Fang, or Ray.... We get these other guys we really don't care about anymore that are far from retro? WHAT THE HELL?!

SEGA just let down most of their retro fanbase just now. WE THOUGHT YOU LEARNED YOUR DAMN LESSON, SEGA!!!

You posted this 20 minutes after I found it (facebook)
Most of them don't really work though... If it is Mr Needlemouse then... do I have to say?

SEGA just let down most of their retro fanbase just now. WE THOUGHT YOU LEARNED YOUR DAMN LESSON, SEGA

Which is why you can't trust them too much.

And if you read it carefully, it said potential appearance, though some characters will be cut from the final version.

Though my question is where the hell is Tails & Knuckles? I wouldn't mind seeing Shade in another game even though she isn't a classic character, maybe Vector, otherwise the rest can go away. Really, we don't need recycled crap from recent games.

So I take it that a petition to convince SEGA to put in retro characters instead of non-memorable characters is a bust Greg? Or rather have a wide variety along with bios?

...Does this mean there is going to be ANOTHER new character? Oh what the...

Maybe they're pulling our legs with the Mr. Needlemouse character. After all, not all the characters listed will be in the game. :P

But yeah, we don't need any more new characters. We've already got plenty.

...Guys, we all know it's not any of those characters, and it's Pikachu in a Sombrero.

And they didn't add Tails/Knux because they're already in, pretty much. And don't forget; Mr. Needlemouse = Sonic, only... One of the beta Sonic designs.

[rage]TAILS DOLL BETTER BE IN THERE OR I WILL **** SOMEONE UP.[/rage]

Seriously now, I wanna see some classic characters in there. It might not be the final, err, "roster", i guess..

Last edited:
"Challenge: Get 100 Replies with 3/3 Correct answers"

I think SEGA doesn't know there's a Wikipedia on the internet. Even if the questions get harder, there's always a Sonic Wiki out there. What a waste of time.

I imagine that most comment posters just copied from the above poster anyway.

"The six colors of the emeralds? Oh, that's easy! I'll just copypasta the previous person's response, exact same order and all!"

Edit: Also love the ambiguity of the white/gray/clear emerald.

Last edited:
At the moment, this still means we have absolutely no information on what will be in Needlemouse and what won't. As amusingly oddball this thing SEGA's throwing on is, I will make no guesses until some names are actually blacked out.

However, "Remember: It’s all about momentum." This seems to be hinting that SEGA does have the old momentum physics and pinball mechanics in mind, which is very much what I'm hoping for. Don't fail me here, Sonic Team.

It might be, or might not be. We could have the exact Genesis physics, something slightly resembling Genesis physics, or something more like Sonic Rush, or the 3D Sonic games... or maybe even "Klik & Play-style" movement.

I refuse to speculate on that matter.

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't really committed to any sides or views regarding the game. I'm just watching this thing from the sidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back