NeoPal v1.0 (neopal.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liliam

NeoPal v1.0 has arrived!

What is NeoPal, you ask? NeoPal is a small wad file containing modified SRB2 pallete data which, when loaded into SRB2 itself, changes the color schemes of the game to variants of the original hues.

My original goal was to liven up the pallete a bit, because I felt that the old DOOM greens and browns were lacking. Eventually, I began making my own modifications, such as a brighter, more vivid pink and a blueish silver gradient.

Great thanks goes out to SSNTails, who assisted me well throughout the whole project, and Cookie Monster, for creating the Inkworks application which I used to rebuild the colormap.

Download (114 KB)

Screenshots:
Before
srbpal1.png
srbpal2.png

After
neopal1.png
neopal2.png

Note: This pallete is in no way supposed to be 'better' than the internal SRB2 pallete, its purpose is solely to provide a different, and hopefully pleasurable experience.

Please, do not contact Sonic Team Jr. or any of its staff asking for this pallete to be used in the actual game, as that is not the purpose of it.

EDIT, eight eons later: Topic title changed to accomodate Shuffle's October 2006 Nazi rant™.

The browns are too bright, and all of the greys/blacks seem to have a blue-ish tint to them. In OpenGL, the conveyor belts seem almost completely black. Also, the GLASS2 texture does not appear at all.

FuriousFox said:
The browns are too bright, and all of the greys/blacks seem to have a blue-ish tint to them.

Neo Chaotikal said:
Eventually, I began making my own modifications, such as a brighter, more vivid pink and a blueish silver gradient.

FuriousFox said:
The browns are too bright.
They could be a bit less brighter, but at least it's more Sonic-like.

FuriousFox said:
All of the greys/blacks seem to have a blue-ish tint to them.
Well, I like the blueish tint to the lighter greys, but the darker ones need to lose some blue.

FuriousFox said:
In OpenGL, the conveyor belts seem almost completely black. Also, the GLASS2 texture does not appear at all.
Conveyors belts look nothing like that.

EDIT: The GLASS2 is an Opengl problem.

Also, I think purple can use a SLIGHT bright up...

FireLaserbeam said:
FuriousFox said:
The browns are too bright.
They could be a bit less brighter, but at least it's more Sonic-like.
In my opinion, the browns are pretty close to those of Emerald Hill from Sonic 2, from where I took the most inspiration from. However, I'll try darkening a bit the brown gradient.

FireLaserbeam said:
FuriousFox said:
All of the greys/blacks seem to have a blue-ish tint to them.
Well, I like the blueish tint to the lighter greys, but the darker ones need to lose some blue.
This is intentional. Metal usually does not present a perfect grey color, it is blueish, and the pallete has been changed to represent that.

I will agree, though, that the darker shades could use some work. I'll see what I can do.

FuriousFox said:
In OpenGL, the conveyor belts seem almost completely black.
I can't see this. Perhaps your gamma is too low?

FuriousFox said:
Also, the GLASS2 texture does not appear at all.
Note, this is an SRB2 glitch. The GLASS2 FOF used in Techno Hill 2 does not appear in OpenGL for some reason. This should be reported in the bug report topic, and should not be considered when judging the pallete's quality.

FireLaserbeam said:
Also, I think purple can use a SLIGHT bright up...
Purple has been purposedly darkened. I wanted the pink gradient to match Amy's color hue in Sonic Adventure, and as it was the purple colors were too close. Thus, purple was darkened and added blue to achieve a different color. I personally adore the color it displays when used in slime blocks (best seen with the Software renderer).

Thank you for all your comments, I await more.

I really like the pink pallete though. it shows up better with the superknux.wad and the pink emerald itself

The problem with the dark grey area is that ALL of then have the Blue being 16 higher then the red. For the "dark grey" area of the palette, have the first grey have blue higher then red/green by 16, then the second be 15 higher... the last be one higher. The lighter row of greys should be left untouched though.

Also, I do like the darker purple, its just that darkening it somewhat screws up the look of somethings that were made to be pinkish looking. I'm not asking for it to be like the Doom one, but a very small bright up may fix things.

Neopal, sounds like some virtual pet.

But this was a very good pallette, with only one slight problem, slime shows up with a yellow core, at least in Software mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back