Movies you would Recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scary Movie 4 sucked, but the first one was hilarious. Along came the parody genre and everything went down the shitter. It's quite sad, really, because I think Disaster Movie had some potential.

The first two Scary Movies were absolutely hilarious. The second the Wayans brothers left it, it jumped the shark.

I just watched Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo this morning and it is to be highly recommended. Here is the review I posted of it on facebook.

Miyazaki's personal touch makes Ponyo unforgettable, communicating the presence of nature with subtle magic, featuring hand-drawn scenes more breathtaking than Finding Nemo, and a tale implicitly resolved before its conclusion. The voices are perfectly suited and offered with integrity. Ponyo is a song with each instrument handled with tender care, eager to invite you into its heart and take its place in yours!

Some interesting things to note that I clearly did not have room to elaborate under Facebook's character limit were the fact that Ponyo marks Studio Ghibli's new emphasis on traditional media, being the first movie without any computer effects since before Princess Mononoke.

Additionally, many of the voices will be or ought to be familiar to viewers (including Cate Blanchett and Liam Neeson) but the two protagonists have had limited roles until now. This is Noah Cyrus's first major role and Frankie Jonas's first reach beyond the shadow of his three older brothers.

Also, the embodiment of nature plays an important role in this movie, though more focused toward the background. At one point in the movie, however, it sticks around long enough to introduce a few concepts that may confuse some viewers but the suspension of disbelief carries it for them regardless.

"Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" was an excellent surprise. It was faithful to all of the best elements from the games except for the story, and that was a change for the better. The dagger was handled splendidly, coming into play only a few times. In the end, the best part of the movie was also the best part of the game's story, the relationship between the prince of persia and the captive princess.

That's right, a good video game movie. Its not totally faithful in terms of story, but then the story while more than I expected from that kind of game, would have been totally insufficient for this vehicle. All the same, it begins and ends in the same place. All that changes is that the apocalyptic event is a reality in the game, and in the movie it is what everyone is trying to prevent. (which means no sand zombies, but we've got snake ninjas which are also awesome stereotypes)

Also if you've played the game, then don't expect to get as many nods in terms of story as in the stunts. There's a scene where he kicks off against a wall while fighting someone with a spear, a scene where he runs along the wall, you get to see him "practice" the tumbling, he swings on those bars an awful lot, doing just about everything but wall-jumping.

Also to put more detail into the way the dagger came into play. In the game it was the chief gimmick, and unfortunately it turned out to be quite abusive. You'd think that such an awesome show of special effects would be irresistible to any director, particularly the team behind "Pirates of the Caribbean 3"... but it was only used a few times and they were consistently awesome. Whenever they came into a situation where you'd expect them to want to use it, they find some way to make sure that its not an option for the protagonist.

Now the main flaw in the movie is much the same with Pirates 3, basically you have to keep up because in some cases the direction is absolutely nuts. And yet, it actually served to make the interaction between the two protagonists even MORE enjoyable.

So yeah, I recommend it to anyone who wants to see a good action movie. It's not necessarily a classic, but it is the kind of movie that does not need to be.

And yes... you WILL think Altair if you're in the right mindset. If you've played Assassin's Creed and not PoP:Sands of Time, then to put it in perspective, its Assassin's Creed in Persia with a more mythological storyline. (both the game and the movie, although the game is a little bit more linear, though less repetitive and unfolds like Tomb Raider)

It's not going to get a good critical score because aside from being a good action movie it doesn't really go into any new territory. If you go in looking for a deep and thought-provoking movie, there is no way you're going to enjoy yourself. Like "Pirates of the Caribbean" or "The Mummy", you'll only really find any depth in the way the characters are portrayed. If the story doesn't feel familiar every step of the way through, you need to watch more movies.
Unlike most action movies though, the pacing is half-decent and the characters are entertaining (besides the obvious, there's also some pretty good interaction between Dastan and his brothers). I'd recommend this over anything by Bay or Emmerich, as well as over most superhero movies (exception being the Iron Man and Batman movies).

District 9. Rent it now, if you haven't already.

Basically, it gives the general geist of the infamous apartheid policies formerly enforced in South Africa. But in leiu of oppressed native Africans and oppressor Caucasians, it tells the story of opposed crustacean-like aliens whose mothership mysteriously breaks down above Johannesburg and the oppressor humans who give up on integrating them into society and instead barricade them off into the eponymous and appalling shantytown.

Also examined in the film are the personal effects of changing from a member of the dominant oppressers to the submissive oppressed. District 9 is a science-fiction examination of human nature with a great backstory, considerable action, abundant dispair, and just enough humor and tenderness to prevent the film from becoming too bleak.

Last edited:
I spot some spoilers ahead.

The Fifth Element- A

Oh god... This movie is absolutely nuts. You've got a soldier from the military going on vacation in a hotel cruise in a futuristic world where their host is some crazy as hell tv show host of sorts, as the protagonist is trying to help the priest secure the Fifth Element in her human form to a temple so that they could align them together and defeat the incarnation of all evil, Mr. Shadow... Oh, plus he has a lackey called Zorg who has a bunch of alien dudes called Megalonians after the Elements as well as an alien singer who has the elements on board of said hotel and has one of the elements inside of her, thus making her death worthwhile.

Absolutely nuts, but absolutely awesome. Bruce Willis made the movie an action packed thrill ride, indeed.
Drool. Oh god, that was an awesome movie, probably one of my favorites in a long time, glad to see people on here enjoy it so much.

Good to hear that you like the film as well.

Um... warlord.... You got something there... uh... it is kind of a little smudge on your titling. Just a heads up.

Has anyone seen Be Kind, Rewind? If you haven't do so. Great film. Absolutely hilarious yet very inspiring. Want to know what makes it hilarious? Jack Black is magnetized and starts causing the videos in this old man's store to be blanked out. So this plays out that they start to renake the films themselves. Want to know what makes it inspiring? They are trying to do this in order to keep their store going and keeping the nationa monument in their city.

As I said... A brilliant film. Please see it.

Good to hear that you like the film as well.

Yeah, I think there was a part where the girl is playing street fighter and shes just being all cool about it. Her camouflage jacket was cool too. The action was great, the effects were amazing for 1997, and a movie like that can't be any more perfect.

Gonna dig up this ol' fossil of a thread because my recommended stuff is a bit unorthodox (they're mostly short flash animations from Newgrounds), but I don't believe that it warrants starting another thread. 'Kay, here we go.

Smile!, by Sarkazm - You'll either love this or hate this, but if you love it, rejoice! Sarkazm has a short film with a somewhat similar concept in the works.

Spookyville 2, by HotDiggedyDemon - Like a sketch show, if the writing crew also happened to snort liberal amounts of cocaine. A real treat! And then, watch the deleted scenes!

HotDiggedyDemon has a bunch of other good stuff. Try Jackie, the story of a thieving drug addict. If the woeful struggles of kleptomaniac junkies aren't your cup of tea, how about Wacky Game Jokez 4 Kidz? It's just like it sounds, I swear by it!

War, Snow and Fire, by Valerofond is also pretty good for those of you who don't like to laugh at cartoons. Same goes for Kiwi!, by Madyeti47. Hope you like twists!

There are others I want to list here, whose names and authors I can't remember. Always be on the lookout for enriching stuff, kids!

read my adsig

Spambots? What has this forum come to....

Anyway, I'd recommend The Fifth Element(always a bucket of fun), Ultimate Avengers(finally a comic-book animated movie done right), and Ghostbusters(do I even have to explain this one?).

The Bionicle movies deserve an semi-honorable mention, if only to watch a whiny, blustering Sidorak get his ass blown off.

Last edited:
In spite of being somewhat stilted when it comes to my stuff, I'm surprised how emotionally wrenching rough work can be sometimes.

Take this animation for example. It's dark... Very, very dark, even by my standards, so take that as a fair warning. But it's so beautifully (and tragically) rendered. I honestly can't imagine it any more polished than it is.

It's material like this that encourages me to produce my own art (or cartoons, whatever), even if it has to be confined as a hobby, and not a career. Maybe I'll find a kernel of my own humanity in my mess of stuff, someday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back