Mario Comparison Maybe???

Heyo, I just saw the new update drop, and I honestly have a few criticisms with the new version of Mario that came with it.

But before I get into that, I wanna say that this is honestly one of my favorite packs ever, and the fact that you took the time to update your older characters to fit in with the style of your newer ones is really cool and definitely no joke. With this I'm not trying to have "favorite character bias" or say that "the new is bad because its new", these are just some things I've noticed think could be fixed, if you're inclined to so. If you're not, that's okay too. You've even specifically allowed people to use the old versions with a separate download, so it's not like any of this stuff is that big of deal. Plus of course, you're allowed to do whatever you want with your own pack, and I will always respect that.

Anyways, down to business. Gonna spoiler this because it's a pretty big wall of text.

Here's a comparison image of the two Marios:
attachment.php

Now, what you notice at first is that the new Mario is more stylized and lends itself more to the promotional 2D artwork of him. Pretty cool! However, this also ends up being a downside, as he no longer matches the artstyle of the kart he's in. I'd recommend redrawing the kart entirely, maybe even make it into the Pipe Frame for bonus cool points?

His mustache is, though, alot more accurate in shape to how it should look. The old one does noticeably have some deforms that makes it lose its shape in the A3 and A4, so it's nice to see that fixed.

However, that may be part in due to another pretty big problem, him being big. He manages to be bigger than Eggman, and even bigger than himself??
attachment.php

(On a side note, here's a tip: you can use the recolorable greens for Luigi's shirt and hat in M&L if you change the startcolor parameter in properties.txt to something else. 224 for example will make that row of blues recolorable instead. You can use this image as a reference for what numbers make what set of colors recolorable.)

This certainly is a little odd in terms of most times when Mario's size compared to other characters in media. But that's an issue you could easily write off. What's still an issue with his size, however, is that he barely even fits in his kart anymore. He has to be scrunched up to the point where his legs and arms are practically clipping through each other, and he has to lean forward in an extremely awkward position that doesn't look comfortable at all. The old Mario didn't have this problem, and he sits relaxed in the kart the sprite was clearly made for. But again, you could fix this by redrawing the kart. Making it bigger would give Mario more room to breathe and not have to be scrunched up like that. Or you could shrink Mario himself back down to the old size. That could work too.

Now for the actual composition of the sprites.
attachment.php

The A1 looks alot nicer than the old one, with the details being alot clearer and the face overall is alot more on model. The old one has a bit too much shading on the face, which makes the details a little harder to work out. With the new one, the size and "leaning forward" issues aren't nearly as prevalent here, in addition to him covering up most of the kart, which makes the artstyle mismatch not as noticeable. All in all, the new one actually looks better than the old one. Certainly makes me wonder if this was the first rotation you did and you based the others on it.
attachment.php

The A2 is where things start getting iffy. The bottom of his head doesn't seem properly aligned with the rest of him. The feet don't quite line up with the pedals anymore, with the foot on our left seeming to be closer to the pedal than the one on the right. The old one was alot more even than this. The old one had his hat slightly leaning back, but the new one seems to be trying to have it be straight and lean back at the same time? Maybe I'm just bad at explaining things, but that's how it looks to me. The arm/leg clip thing also starts to come into effect here.
attachment.php

In the A3, here's where said issue comes into full effect. His hand and arm are literally connected by three pixels, which is extremely small in comparison to the overall size of the sprite. It seriously does look like Mario turned on no-clip on his body. And again, he's leaning forward a ton, which looks extremely uncomfortable. I get it's tradition for taller characters to do that, but Mario is not what I'd consider a tall character. If you leaned him back, it'd give his arms more room to move around too, which would solve the clipping issue. However, I will state again that I do like how his mustache is alot clearer in this sprite than in the old one. That's one thing that's consistently better on these sprites, the clearer details.
attachment.php

Now with the A4, it's kinda weird. The way his head, body, and legs are angled don't seem to match each other or the kart he's in. And what's up with his ear being angled back so far? In the old one Mario's ears are angled with his head. But in this new one it looks like their being forced to angle the camera? Very odd.
attachment.php

And finally, the A5. Now this is where the increased size becomes a bit more prominent. His body is practically spilling out of his kart because of how the sprites are. And because his overall size increased, his head has seen a big increase too. In gameplay, Mario practically looks like a bobble-head because his body is scrunched up and leaning forward, but his head isn't. Maybe try leaning his head down to make him fully scrunched up? Well, maybe that's not a good idea, because it'd be better to just not scrunch him up at all or simply shrink him down. Again, the old one is smaller, which means it doesn't have these problems.

I think that's really the new Mario's biggest problem. His size. He really doesn't fit within his own kart and it kinda shows. And of course there's the artstyle mismatch which I've mentioned too. I think you'll end up needing to either match Mario to the kart like with the old version, or match the kart to Mario. The latter would certainly allow you to be a bit more creative, so I'd try doing that. It'd just be nice if he didn't have to lean forward as much or look like he has disproportionately large head.

Well, you can take these criticisms or ignore them, I honestly don't mind, but I 100% believe you can make the pack alot better than it already is or ever was.

(On another side note, I think it'd be nice if the new Paper Mario (love how he's TTYD now btw) didn't get darker or lighter as he turns. Yeah, I know the old one had it too, but considering you added alot more shading and made him bigger (which isn't a negative here since he was really small before), it's alot more distracting, and I think it'd be better to just not have it. Anyways, post over! Cheers!)

Attachments

• SUMAA2A8.png
    SUMAA2A8.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 1,900
  • exampleimage.png
    exampleimage.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 3,153
  • A1.png
    A1.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,835
  • A2.png
    A2.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 1,693
  • a3.png
    a3.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,659
  • a4.png
    a4.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,673
  • a5.png
    a5.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 1,666
(huge snip)

First off, hi! I'm glad you're enjoying my karts, I guess.

Secondly, a lot of this critique feels very presumptuous. I went through a lot of personal thinking while designing him and a lot of what you said both is self-contradictory in a way, and is just stuff I've already thought about and worked myself through.

Small things out of the way, the Mario & Luigi sprites have... always been smaller than their standalone counterparts. Like, even disregarding the redraws. Obviously making the standalone characters even bigger only serves to reinstate and re-exemplify that, but still.

I'm also... a little surprised that you view Luigi's hat/shirt color there as some sort of compromise and not intentional, as it's meant to reflect how he's colored in the artwork for Mario & Luigi 1-3. It wasn't until Dream Team onwards that his greens were altered to be more saturated. I know how to alter the changecolor, as it's what I had to do already for the original Mario & Luigi sprites.

To put it bluntly, a lot of your criticism doesn't seem to respect the creative choices I made, passing them off as unintentional or mistakes as though I wasn't aware of them as I did them. It should be fairly obvious how most of the design decisions were informed by the official 2D art style, and I followed it very closely when working on the rotations. I also have no idea what you mean by the arms/legs clipping, and it doesn't look like you explained it at all so I'll leave it there.

I'm really not concerned with the style discrepancies for a character in my pack that already has tons of different visual styles, let alone in the game's modding community that already has tons of different styles and takes. And even then, that's part of why these redrawn versions are considered completely separate characters now, with new voice clips and all.

attachment.php

I went out of my way to make them more size-consistent with all of the other redraws, as well as just some of the other characters in general. Furthermore, certain characters and elements are going to be bigger in v2 as well, including the kart and Eggman (who even now is already pretty small alongside other characters, so the comparison even now feels a little iffy), so by that standard, they're basically "future-proofed" to only need a kart update when that happens. That's not to say the redrawn characters were made with that in mind, though it does certainly help cement my justification in keeping things the way they are.

I mean, hey-
attachment.php

Like, sure, he's still taller in terms of head placement, but...

If you're looking for a Mario that maintains the v1 style, like you said, the old one is still there. I still view it as fine and I've even considered reaching out to other content creators to create a Mario Kart 8 pack of similarly designed/scaled characters to keep it going. But as far as my current pack goes, I really would rather not have to resprite them again. I'm content with how they look now. I feel he's to-scale even with the base sprites going off of head size, and for what it's worth-

attachment.php

Attachments

• image_2020-12-06_200620.png
    image_2020-12-06_200620.png
    38.6 KB · Views: 2,629
  • image_2020-12-06_202548.png
    image_2020-12-06_202548.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,967
  • image_2020-12-06_203045.png
    image_2020-12-06_203045.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 2,079
Last edited:
I still think that anyone can make a character in the style they want. You can make it similar to the SRB2 sprites or you can make them original. Heck, you can even make them completely different like this character pack shows. As always, amazing work Mitsame

Secondly, a lot of this critique feels very presumptuous. I went through a lot of personal thinking while designing him and a lot of what you said both is self-contradictory in a way, and is just stuff I've already thought about and worked myself through.
To put it bluntly, a lot of your criticism doesn't seem to respect the creative choices I made, passing them off as unintentional or mistakes as though I wasn't aware of them as I did them.
I'm really sorry I came across like that, I was trying to be as nice as I could...maybe I just ended up "spiraling into madness" or something as my post went on? But I legitimately do respect what you've done with your pack. There's a reason I made the preface I did. I guess I just have a hard time explaining things, which end up lending itself to sounding more harsh or contradictory than I actually meant it to be.

As for the stuff you already knew about, I myself didn't know you knew that stuff, and couldn't exactly pick out what you didn't already know. I'd just take them as they are, and if you've already set in stone on what to do in those departments, that's okay too.

-
Small things out of the way, the Mario & Luigi sprites have... always been smaller than their standalone counterparts. Like, even disregarding the redraws. Obviously making the standalone characters even bigger only serves to reinstate and re-exemplify that, but still.

I'm also... a little surprised that you view Luigi's hat/shirt color there as some sort of compromise and not intentional, as it's meant to reflect how he's colored in the artwork for Mario & Luigi 1-3. It wasn't until Dream Team onwards that his greens were altered to be more saturated. I know how to alter the changecolor, as it's what I had to do already for the original Mario & Luigi sprites.
Just ignore what I said, you're completely right here. :V
With the second part I was thinking you could possibly use the recolorable greens as shading (not a complete replacement of) Luigi's cyans, but that in-and-of-itself is pretty silly considering the colors you're currently using work just as well.
-
It should be fairly obvious how most of the design decisions were informed by the official 2D art style, and I followed it very closely when working on the rotations.
I actually mentioned this in my post:
Now, what you notice at first is that the new Mario is more stylized and lends itself more to the promotional 2D artwork of him. Pretty cool!
...so it wasn't like I wasn't aware of this. I never said to abandon this style either. In fact, I encouraged you to continue with it and apply it to the kart he's in too.
-
I also have no idea what you mean by the arms/legs clipping, and it doesn't look like you explained it at all so I'll leave it there.
Okay so, yeah I really didn't. Basically what I meant is that the transition for his arm from in-front of his legs to behind his legs is a bit sudden, and as such looks a little weird to me. Maybe I was just used to the old one and how his arms are never layered behind his legs. If you still don't quite get what I mean, here's an example that makes the old one look a bit more like the new one in that aspect, along with the posture.
attachment.php

-
I'm really not concerned with the style discrepancies for a character in my pack that already has tons of different visual styles, let alone in the game's modding community that already has tons of different styles and takes. And even then, that's part of why these redrawn versions are considered completely separate characters now, with new voice clips and all.
I guess it's not the end of the world if he doesn't match his kart completely, but it'd still be kinda nice for self-contained consistency's sake.
-
I went out of my way to make them more size-consistent with all of the other redraws, as well as just some of the other characters in general.
Yeah, I noticed that, which is why I said:
the fact that you took the time to update your older characters to fit in with the style of your newer ones is really cool and definitely no joke.
-
Furthermore, certain characters and elements are going to be bigger in v2 as well, including the kart and Eggman (who even now is already pretty small alongside other characters, so the comparison even now feels a little iffy), so by that standard, they're basically "future-proofed" to only need a kart update when that happens. That's not to say the redrawn characters were made with that in mind, though it does certainly help cement my justification in keeping things the way they are.
Ah, that makes sense. Future-proofing is always a great thing to do. I know Dirk has actually done it quite a few times himself with his kart characters.
-
I feel he's to-scale even with the base sprites going off of head size
I guess I was just thinking it was weird he was so much bigger than the vanilla cast, but now I'm realizing these are the Classic Sonic characters were talking about, which are pretty short all things considered. :V
Seems like you're good with keeping the size the way it is, and I was just wrong about it.
-
But as far as my current pack goes, I really would rather not have to resprite them again. I'm content with how they look now.
And if that's what you wanna do, that's 100% fine with me! I tried to say you don't have to listen to my criticisms at all, but I guess I kinda fogged it up with critiquing a bit too much. Sorry about that.
-

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,431

For what it's worth, it's gotten me thinking about giving him/the other Mario characters a custom pipe frame, which would let me consider him finished "now" rather than later, and it'd also give me an opportunity to give them a second edit pass.

Something I noticed is that it's not so much the size that's altered the posture, it's just that when I work on characters, I work in such a way where the head is the centerpoint to the whole thing, meaning the turnaround will revolve around the head's axis rather than it being the actual center of the body. I can certainly lean him back more in the kart to get a posture more closely resembling the older one without really sacrificing anything.

Now that I understand what you mean about the clipping, I can't say I agree? Mostly because it is at least consistent with the other turnarounds. The original Mario wasn't really sitting in the kart as correctly as I'd like, which is something i did wrong more than a few times in my earlier karts. In the original A1, his legs were behind the wheel, rather than in front of it, which doesn't necessarily make sense, so while I do see that seeing the hand more would be more readable/appealing, I'm not sure if it's something I'd commit to.

It's still included as a separate .PK3!

really?! phew...

edit: i had an issue, when i added the old version of pit, a wireframe character appeared instead, i have the game on OpenGL

Last edited:
really?! phew...

edit: i had an issue, when i added the old version of pit, a wireframe character appeared instead, i have the game on OpenGL

That's because you have it set to load MD3s instead of character sprites. As far as I know, Pit has no MD3 and if he does you don't have it downloaded.

Quick half-update, but I've made a custom kart for all of my Mario characters- the Mario Kart 64 pipe frame!

attachment.php

I've primarily touched up Mario, Luigi, and Metal Mario's postures to sit a little better especially now with the new kart. Here's Mario-

attachment.php

I'll be releasing it separately soon, though anyone in the Discord's been able to get their hands on it. Here's how everyone looks in them now (plus a preview for the Super Show Mario redraw + another future character)-

attachment.php

I've also touched up Wario-Man a tiny bit to better match the style of all the other characters as well. This'll all be coming in the next big content update, and will likely be the final updates for all of these characters until v2.

Attachments

• image_2020-12-09_035229.png
    image_2020-12-09_035229.png
    44 KB · Views: 4,440
  • head_b.gif
    head_b.gif
    69.3 KB · Views: 3,596
  • pipeframe.gif
    pipeframe.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 2,529
Last edited:
There are 2 versions of Reigen in sereval servers.

File: KC_Reigen.pk3
CRC-32: 99a4a868
MD5: 7c1284f7e07460bd37b748834d6311a2

CRC-32: 57d75aa4
MD5: c787f1ad3bf8793cf81cb0d4b0f6d486

Seems be the same, but the first one is dated packaged in 2019, the second one, in 2020-10-23.
Could you rename Reigen with a num version? or if is the same, continue using the first one.

same....

File: KC_Kart8Luigi.pk3
CRC-32: 19337180
MD5: 26692eb9d5cbfea2fae5c1723d367ab4
package date: 2019-03-30

File: KC_Kart8Luigi.pk3
CRC-32: 9cf9ea4d
MD5: 4196abab2111f3e18b9fa3ac8f75a674
package date: 2020-10-23

File: KC_Kart8Mario_v3.pk3
CRC-32: b0f45f2d
MD5: f900bce4ddf4ad927a65545b3e43078c
package date: 2019-03-23

File: KC_Kart8Mario_v3.pk3
CRC-32: 5da88919
MD5: 332b4416ff070be79adf54ed6ed7e005

File: KC_PaperMario.pk3
CRC-32: ee965a75
MD5: 56caa11189a68fa30bb4218754f5fe82
package date: 2019-03-23

File: KC_PaperMario.pk3
CRC-32: 2815c804
MD5: 11d0671e47bbad1863498b22c8303ff0

etc...

I guess the same problem occurs in all the addons found in
KC_Separate\Old Versions\

Last edited:
There are 2 versions of Reigen in sereval servers.

CRC-32: 99a4a868
MD5: 7c1284f7e07460bd37b748834d6311a2

CRC-32: 57d75aa4
MD5: c787f1ad3bf8793cf81cb0d4b0f6d486

I won't be rolling back my files to an older version if that's what you're asking. What file servers are hosting is completely out of my responsibility.

I guess the same problem occurs in all the addons found in
KC_Separate\Old Versions\

In my v10 update I went over several of my individual .pk3 files to be organized correctly to prevent potential conflict with other files. Again, I have no intention of rolling this back.

From my update log-
  • Fixed the prefixes for Kart 8 Mario, Kart 8 Luigi, Metal Mario, Kumatora, Pit, Mob, Reigen, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi (Original), and Super Show Mario in their individual .PK3s to be unique to prevent conflict.

Sorry for the delay but the pipe frame is now available! Nothing crazy or new otherwise.

I've included it as its own download in the OP. Here's all of the characters that use the pipe frame-

attachment.php

Attachments

• image_2021-02-04_163443.png
    image_2021-02-04_163443.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 3,995
mitsame updated Mit's Character Pack v12 with a new update entry:

THE AERITH UPDATE

Hi everyone!!! I've finally finished up Aerith, who has been in my WIPs for about two years. This won't mark any kind of grand return of mine to making SRB2Kart characters, but if I ever come back to the game then bare minimum I wanted to have her playable. So, here she is.

Just one quick note- she has exactly One swear across her voice lines, which is her second hurt sound. Please keep this in mind when downloading! As usual all of the characters are included as separate .pk3 files in the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

View attachment 63446

25 racers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pack now includes separate PK3s! Simply download the pack and there will be a folder containing each character separately.

NOTE: Aerith has exactly *one* swear as one of her hurt quotes. Please keep that in mind when downloading!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iTiw7IweE90lDFtG6qGo2gtWByikJ2iC

Now featuring my favorite character!!!

STATS

View attachment 63445
Also featuring...

attachment.php

Mario Kart 64's Pipe Frame as a Kartmaker template!

UPDATES

V12 (2/28/22)

Aerith, the 25th racer, has been added.
  • Fixed a coloring error on JFK.

V11K (11/29/20)

A new kart template, the Pipe Frame from Mario Kart 64, is included in the pack.
  • The following characters now use the pipe frame: Mario, Luigi, Metal Mario, Mona, 9-Volt & 18-Volt, Ashley, Wario-Man, Paper Mario, and Mario & Luigi.
  • Wario-Man has been reshaded to be more in-line with the other characters.

V11 - SUPER (11/29/20)

= Added Lucas.

= Redrew Mario.
  • Internally named "KC_SuperMario".

= Redrew Luigi.
  • Internally named "KC_SuperLuigi".

= Redrew Metal Mario.
  • Internally named "KC_MetalMario_R".

= Redrew Kumatora.
  • Internally named "KC_Kumatora_R".

= Redrew Pit.
  • Internally named "KC_ClassicPit".

= Redrew Ramona.

= Redrew Paper Mario.
  • Internally named "KC_PaperMario_R".

• Minor sprite fixes were made for 9-Volt & 18-Volt, Wario-Man, Alex, Osomatsu, and JFK.
  • Fixed Super Show Mario's prefcolor to be crimson instead of rosewood.

V10 (10/23/20)

= Redrew Mario & Luigi.
  • Internally, this new Mario & Luigi is "KC_MarioandLuigi_R". The original design can still be found in KC Separate as its own file (KC_MarioandLuigi), and both can be loaded simultaneously with no problems.

= Added Osomatsu (Osokart).

= Added Karamatsu (KARAMATSU AGOGO).

= Added 2D.

• Revised Ramona and Wario-Man's signpost graphics and associated portraits.
  • Fixed the prefixes for Kart 8 Mario, Kart 8 Luigi, Metal Mario, Kumatora, Pit, Mob, Reigen, Paper Mario, Mario & Luigi (Original), and Super Show Mario in their individual .PK3s to be unique to prevent conflict.
  • Fixed Kart 8 Mario's drift frames so he glances in the direction he's turning.

V9 (10/11/20)

= Added Biker Wario.

= Added Mona.

= Added 9-Volt & 18-Volt.

= Added Ashley (Redesign).

= Added Wario-Man.

• Revised JFK's small portrait to make the chosen color more clear.

V8 (10/4/20)

= Added Ramona Flowers.

= Added JFK.

• Reordered some of the characters on the character select screen to make more sense.

V7 (1/2/20)

= Added Alex.

• Fixed a bug involving certain character's rank, mini-map, and wanted portraits loading with a bad sprite name in the full PK3.
  • For some reason, I can't actually attach files to the thread anymore, so the upload link is now a Google Drive link to the .zip.

V6 (4/7/19)

= Added Mob.

= Added Reigen.

V5
(3/30/19)

= Added Luigi.

• Reorganized characters by franchise and type.

V4 (3/23/19)

= Added Pit.

= Removed all LUA files and adjusted character palettes accordingly.

• Super Show Mario's shirt is now cyan.
  • Kumatora's dress now entirely changes color.
  • Mario & Luigi have their overalls change color. Kart color also matches overalls.

V3 (2/13/19)

= Added Mario and Metal Mario.

= Added an additional download for individual PK3s.

• Unnecessary files have been removed from Goombakart.

V2 (2/9/19)

= Added a LUA-less version of the pack (KC_mitpack_v2.pk3) for replay support and general support going forward.
  • Mario and Luigi's overalls + kart change color in KCL pack.
  • Super Show Mario's cap and overalls change color in KCL pack.
= Fixed some things about Kumatora.
  • Both of her boost voice clips will now play properly. No idea why they didn't before.
  • Rebalanced her slightly (weight 3 -> 4).
= Goombakart now has attacking voice lines.
amazing mod

Is there normal kart variants of these characters? cause if i'm being honest the pipe frame is either kinda bland or is a bit distracting to me, not to say they are good, they are freaking fantastic, but its just something about the normal kart that just...clicks for me.

Excellent Mods
Any plans to make more WarioWare Characters in SRB2 Kart like Jimmy T, Dribble & Spitz, Kat & Ana, Mike, 5-Volt, Young Cricket & Master Mantis, Orbulon, Lulu, Fronk & 13-Amp

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back