Maybe this is what Nintendo and Sega needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earuto

I'm not a 100% sure if this should be put in Colosseum or not. It can be moved to General Discussion, can't it?

Anyway, I really believe that Sega and Nintendo need a fresh young blood to start. By that i mean they need someone who understands what is needed to improve the company with ideas. Someone who actually go out and see what the kids would like and want. Nintendo could come out with more games and fix the graphics, while Sega could come out with something that would help improve their games. I think they just need someone who understands us is what I'm trying to say.

Exactly!

It's like I said, we the fans come up with better ideas than they do, so they should ask the fans. Take me for instance: I could see a game that introduces the classic sonic that we all know and love with the 3D graphics that make it look like a living, breathing world. The plot could practically write itself!

But alas, the big wigs are too stupid to ask us, so we'll never see a game worth plugging into.

Honestly, the moment some gamers finally get into the design department of games will be the moment a new, fresh game finally gets made.

Beacuse who knows better than the gamers themselves

That's my point. But as I said before, they apparently think we're too damn stupid to make up crap, which will probably result in some stupid Sonic game where he gets lost in some alternate dimension where Dr. Fatman is the good guy.

Angelus_the_echidna said:
That's my point. But as I said before, they apparently think we're too damn stupid to make up crap, which will probably result in some stupid Sonic game where he gets lost in some alternate dimension where Dr. Fatman is the good guy.

Eh heh heh... see the reverse dimension in the Sonic Comics ^^'

Autosaver knows what he's talking about

Sega IS listening to their fans. That's the whole problem. We aren't really their fans anymore, we've pretty much rejected them and assumed they are incapable of producing anything but pure unfiltered crap. Therefore, they no longer care what we think. They DO, however, care about what their new fans think. And their new fans want rail grinding, weapons, and Shadow.

Which means to affect Sega we need to affect the fans, and SRB2 being the most seen fan-game on the offical Sega Time attack forum is a sign that Sonic team Jr. is doing something right.

Regarding Nintendo, as much as I'd love to see loyal fans working for that company, it's something I doubt we'll ever end up seeing.

As for Sega, I recall someone on here had a humorous signature about how the angry Nintendo fans wanted the complete opposite of what the disgruntled Sega fans demanded. People wanted Mario doing "something different" while at the same time others wanted Sonic to go back to his roots. And on the topic of SRB2, I don't really think it's making that big of an impact, I'm afraid. If all those kids were actually playing Match instead of RP, maybe I'd be more willing to believe it. At this point I practically give up trying to get Sonic back on track.

I could care less about what happens to Sonic now. I play some of his games, but I could care less if IGN scores it low or whatever.

And they've already shuffled their leadership anyway, so they are taking Sonic in a fresh new direction for better or for worse as a result of pretty much the exact same thing you suggested they need.

Saying that Sega and Nintendo don't have any means of fanservice seems more the complaint of an angry gamer than the criticism of an observer. Shadow the Hedgehog was fanservice, Sonic Chronicles and Black Knight are so full of fanservice amidst the extras and promotions that in some cases it tends to outshine the gameplay itself.
Nintendo on the other hand often makes a significant effort to reward the veteran player's nostalgia (they still use Epona's song... for a good reason, and many Ocarina of Time situations are mirrored such as the Poe sisters, the freezing of Zora's domain, etc) and have been letting a huge amount of titles, some big name, some obscure, and some cheap trickle through the Virtual Console. Even if it is too slow for some disgruntled fans (many of whom probably already have the game pirated anyway), they are still offering classics to those that want to revisit them and those that have yet to experience them.
Another issue with Nintendo is that they are trying to service both their long-time fans and their new fans at once, which is never easy. The kind of thing the new fans want is easily produced, but the type of thing cherished by the veteran gamers (I refuse to use the terms hardcore or casual in this argument) takes far longer to make good on.

And I think that Sega itself is striving for a kind of fanservice previously unheard of on the Wii, by trying to deliver something brutal and yet innovative to make up for the lack of similar products in the gaming library.

Now, I for one think both Sonic Team and Nintendo are on the right track, give or take a few flaws. Sonic Team already hit bottom, even if Sonic becomes a different franchise than the one most of us grew up with, it is seeing improvements that make the game more solid. Nintendo is opening gaming to a huge unexplored userbase, and trying not to sacrifice their old userbase. Its not easy, but they've done a decent job so far... I don't think I could so easily try to live up to the expectations of such a reputation as theirs and simultaneously deliver on the new demographic. (and to use Twilight Princess as an example again, wherever it was easier than its predecessor was more the result of removing some cheap aspects of the old game than dumbing down the new game)

glaber said:
Which means to affect Sega we need to affect the fans, and SRB2 being the most seen fan-game on the offical Sega Time attack forum is a sign that Sonic team Jr. is doing something right.

Have you taken a look around lately? Many of our fans aren't trying to recreate classic Sonic with our game, they're trying to recreate the current-gen games. When Sonic 360 came out, we got the Sonic NextGen mod and character. When Riders came out, people tried making a Sonic Riders mod. When Shadow the Hedgehog came out, people wanted us to add vehicles to the game. Back when I was making Gloom Metropolis Zone, someone actually suggested that I put a giant 18-wheeler chase scene like in the first level of Sonic Adventure 2. I also wouldn't be suprised if there were a Werehog wad floating around out there somewhere.

You have to remember that a lot of our fans are in the 10-13 age range. Sega had dropped out of the console market before many of them even started Kindergarden. I'm willing to bet that the Gamecube was probably the first gaming console many of them owned, and that SA2:B was probably their first Sonic game. As sad as it sounds, this means that every Sonic game they've ever played has included Shadow as a character. To them, Shadow is a classic character.

If anything, we just show how badly some people want more of the crap that Sonic Team keeps pushing out. So badly that their fans are willing to clip "sprites" from full-color screenshots and try to use them to create 256 color character wads. So much that they try to recreate their favorite levels in an engine that is so obviously not built to do those sorts of things. So much that, even if they fail many times, they'll just keep coming back and trying again, continually falling flat on their face and getting mocked by the rest of us, just because they're just that damn desperate to copy a next-gen game into a DooM Mod.

Earuto said:
I'm not a 100% sure if this should be put in Colosseum or not. It can be moved to General Discussion, can't it?

Anyway, I really believe that Sega and Nintendo need a fresh young blood to start. By that i mean they need someone who understands what is needed to improve the company with ideas. Someone who actually go out and see what the kids would like and want. Nintendo could come out with more games and fix the graphics, while Sega could come out with something that would help improve their games. I think they just need someone who understands us is what I'm trying to say.

What do you mean by ¨Sega could come out with something that would help improve their games.¨

Sonnarkku said:
Earuto said:

What do you mean by ¨Sega could come out with something that would help improve their games.¨
The sentence explains itself >>

I think simply the idea of asking what the people think is all that SEGA need. As from Sonic Unleashed, I conclude (though, my opinion) that they can create levels according to the gameplan. If they listen to the guys who know what they want, then they would get a back-to-roots Sonic Unleashed 2D-to-3D huge adventure, so long as only the daytime stage ideas are put forward, and no use for the Werehog.

Words of advice for both

SEGA- Hire the SRB2 team, they know how to make a good sonic game, and Sonics Segas #1 seller (for good reason) we don't need a wearhog, we need good old fastioned gaming, the way soinc was intended.

Nintendo- Hire the fans, we know what we want, and we dont want new fancy camera angles that cause us to have massive eye injuries amung other things

csmgiw said:
SEGA- Hire the SRB2 team, they know how to make a good sonic game,
We had an old topic about STJr teaming up with Sonic Team once. Most users thought it would never happen, as most of STJr will be probably be done with making Sonic fangames after SRB2 is finished.

csmgiw said:
SEGA- Hire the SRB2 team, they know how to make a good sonic game, and Sonics Segas #1 seller (for good reason) we don't need a wearhog, we need good old fastioned gaming, the way soinc was intended.

Sonic has split into many different gaming styles, and while the old-fashioned Genesis isn't one of them, I'd rather not have the responsibility of making a big budget game meant to live up to the oldbies' expectations.

csmgiw said:
Nintendo- Hire the fans, we know what we want, and we dont want new fancy camera angles that cause us to have massive eye injuries amung other things

Which fans would this be, the ones that hate Casual gamers and say Nintendo has lost it, ones that haven't bought a single game outside of Wii Sports and Wii Fit, or the ones that still only play NES? I'm not saying any one of you fall into one of these generalizations, but based on the general situation of the internet, 90% of Nintendo fans as seen online fall into one of these categories.

I'm the kind of person that has respect for corporations even when they've made a mistake, but I don't think Nintendo's really made any significant mistakes as far as games go... I consider branching out to 'casual' audiences a good thing, and I would hate to think that the statement that the bulk of the community wants to make to these new fans is "you are ruining the industry"... something that I'd be tempted to say to the fans for FPS gorefests if I didn't realize how ridiculous that sounds.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Nintendo knows what they are doing better than a bunch of fans, partially because "the fans" is such an arbitrary generalization that when viewed overall tends to appear more fickle and idiotic than what each individual fan may have to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back