Jeck Jims' MD2s 2.0's Final Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the actual advice, Its nice to get something I can work off of! Going to fix Tails's idol right now!
But, I could use some help with things. Such as, when you do make the Multiple texture feature, I'll need help making the textures. As you may have noticed, I have some issues with creating correct shading.

A suggestion, with the skateboard, if possible have the player go into another stance other than idol. Like possibly, add another frame? (Idk if that is plausible.)

And lastly, there is an issue with rendering (In both Vanilla and SRB2CB), if a model is far away, its layers will start to become see-through. An example of this would be when Classic(young) Sonic is used in Srb1 remake, you see the white of his eyes seeping through his head because they are hidden underneath. If you go to SRB1 remake with him you will see what I am talking about. Anyway, if you could fix that I would appreciated it.
And I am working on getting the Extreme Gear for the skateboard.

Last edited:
Thanks for the actual advice, Its nice to get something I can work off of! Going to fix Tails's idol right now!
But, I could use some help with things. Such as, when you do make the Multiple texture feature, I'll need help making the textures. As you may have noticed, I have some issues with creating correct shading.

A suggestion, with the skateboard, if possible have the player go into another stance other than idol. Like possibly, add another frame? (Idk if that is plausible.)

And lastly, there is an issue with rendering (In both Vanilla and SRB2CB), if a model is far away, its layers will start to become see-through. An example of this would be when Classic(young) Sonic is used in Srb1 remake, you see the white of his eyes seeping through his head because they are hidden underneath. If you go to SRB1 remake with him you will see what I am talking about. Anyway, if you could fix that I would appreciated it.
I think I could help with textures.

Great! You think you would be able to make different expressions for Tails? I think I can handle the mouth, but the eyes are yours if ya want em?

Speaking of Young Sonic, I feel that the middle of his brow(or whatever that area above his eyes are) Doesn't go down far enough, and gives sonic a weird expression. If you moved it down a bit, I think it might look better.

Then again, I may be way off here, but something about his face just seems off.

I could use some help with things. Such as, when you do make the Multiple texture feature, I'll need help making the textures. As you may have noticed, I have some issues with creating correct shading.

Sure, I can help with that

Oh, we can definitely do that, but save the MD2 with the making new poses for later. We can't exactly do it right now, because that would be a big change for character wads, but I may have something in store for it later.

And lastly, there is an issue with rendering (In both Vanilla and SRB2CB), if a model is far away, its layers will start to become see-through. An example of this would be when Classic(young) Sonic is used in Srb1 remake, you see the white of his eyes seeping through his head because they are hidden underneath. If you go to SRB1 remake with him you will see what I am talking about.

Ah, yes, that's actually a completely different issue, it can happen in ANY 3D program, DirectX or OpenGL.

That's called "Z-Fighting" and what that means is 3D engines have a limit on the acuracy of what they draw. Things off in the distance are less acurately drawn because computers can't do store really precise information and scale it down (a vertex of a polygon might have to be 0.00000012 when drawn far away, so you rung into scaling errors)

I would have to research some more to see if there's a workaround,

but you can avoid things like that from happening by making sure you don't have thin polygons that are really close together in your 3D models - for instance, you need to make classic sonic have some eyebrows instead of having a thin layer between the eyes and the rest of the head. (that would also make it look better in general)

I'll see if I can get some images to clarify what I mean.

I get it, I know what the problem is. Sadly I can't just fix that it simplely. Changes like that would require me to re-animate the whole model. But I do however, have a plan to fix it and I know exactly how to do so. No worries. As for the emotions, I think I might have it down, I made a couple, and they look great on my opinion. If you could just find some textures for a mouth, that would be great, but keep in mind it has to be a center mouth, sadly I can't do the side-mouth thing for Tails.

Okay, these look really cool from the screenshots, but how do they work? I tried running them in the CB and the models don't seem to be working. Is there something more I'm missing, because I wrote the MD2.dat and everything, but don't get why I'm not seeing them. Any suggestions?

You have to name the MD2 and the PNG to whatever skin you want it to replace. So name the sonic model to "SONIC" and the Sonic PNG to "SONIC".

Last edited:
New video!
Just showcasing the three classic models, more for the people who can't use them to at least see them in action, if they choose.

Alright, I did everything excatly the wiki told me todo for md2s and it's still not working.
From the log:
InitColormaps...
Number of Extra Colormaps: 10
S_Init: Setting up sound.
I_StartupSound: Compacting onboard sound-memory... done
sound initialised.
I_InitDigMusic()
I_InitMIDIMusic()
MIDI product name: Microsoft MIDI Mapper
MIDI technology: Microsoft MIDI Mapper
MIDI caps:
-Direct support for midiStreamOut()
-Volume control
ST_Init: Init status bar.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
WinSock description: WinSock 2.0
WinSock System Status: Running
Entering main app loop...
I_StartupKeyboard...
I_StartupMouse...
VID_SetMode(12)
Mode changed to 12 (1280x800)
HWR_Startup()
InitMD2()...
Error while loading md2.dat
I_ShutdownMouse()
I_ShutdownKeyboard()
I_ShutdownTcpDriver: shut down
I_ShutdownMIDIMusic:
I_ShutdownDigMusic:
Done
I_ShutdownSound()
I_ShutdownGraphics()
HWR_Shutdown()
I_Quit(): end of logstream.
Okay I dont get that message anymore but still, as my main character, I am invisable, U.U

Last edited:
Jeck, for the skateboard model...

VXaK4.png

Just if you want to use it.

Some of the people at Sonic Retro ripped this from the demo.

SRB2win. Should I be using SRB2cwin?
You should be using whatever works with OpenGL, Just make sure that if your using the regular game that the Model and the texture, are named "PLAY." and the text in MD2.dat should read "PLAY PLAY.MD2 3.0 0.0" When applying the models, use the console command "GR_MD2 ON." Other than that I have no clue what your problem might be. Make sure the model you want is DIRECTLY in the MD2 folder.

Jeck, for the skateboard model...

VXaK4.png

Just if you want to use it.

Some of the people at Sonic Retro ripped this from the demo.
Thanks man, I use this for sure! It's almost perfect, even in shape!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back