Jeck Jims' MD2s 2.0's Final Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are using SRB2CB yes, haven't figured a way around that yet... shields, and chaos emeralds also have this problem.

If you are using SRB2CB yes, haven't figured a way around that yet... shields, and chaos emeralds also have this problem.
Interestingly, this doesn't happen in XSRB2.

R5v6u.jpg

Heh, Jeck you should make a skateboard model for SRB2CB. Maybe base it off Classic Sonic's from Generations?

Interestingly, this doesn't happen in XSRB2.
I think its just the way that SRB2CB handels models without textures that caused the problem.
Heh, Jeck you should make a skateboard model for SRB2CB. Maybe base it off Classic Sonic's from Generations?
All that I know is that its a (red?) skateboard... can't tell much about what it looks like.. If you find a good pic for me sure I will.

Could someone say why these dosent work with SRB2CB?(with Sonic Colors B anyways)
You must have made a mistake in the MD2 Dat Edition. I'll have a little tour for you.
attachment.php
You remember this part, right? The bottom of unedited MD2.dat. Here, might be your problem.
attachment.php
You see that? Edited MD2 Dat. Here might be the problem, that all the MD2s you want to use as Multi-MD2s on SRB2CB, are at the bottom of the file. Here's how it's supposed to be,
attachment.php
The MD2 Character list needs to be on TOP. Of those four numbers. If you don't know how to use Command Prompt then just ask me. I'll be glad to help.

Attachments

• Exam.PNG
    Exam.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 2,254
  • Exam2.PNG
    Exam2.PNG
    17 KB · Views: 2,236
  • Exam3.PNG
    Exam3.PNG
    17.2 KB · Views: 2,384
Yes, I didn't even think of that. Actually, those four numbers don't do anything, I put them in there to remind myself not to put new entries on the bottom, for some reason, when I did, they weren't recognized, so now I just put new things directly after "PLAY."

So you mean, like the top. Bottom from Play you get to put on the models and it would still work? Oh, by the way. Do those numbers need to be there or will I be able to delete them and the Models still work?

Have a look at this. I mixed the Sonic Colors' play.md2 with the Red Sonic Sim Model, and here's what it looks like,
attachment.php
Pretty weird huh? Eyes are orange, and no armor because the mix up. Actually, the armor is... The jumps/spins look. Seems we're having new discoveries about the models...

Attachments

• srb20008.png
    srb20008.png
    304.6 KB · Views: 3,459
cityescape_generations2.jpg

The top is just a plain red with one vertical stripe of white on it. But that should be enough to help you.

The cool thing about this Young Sonic MD2 is that in the SRB1 remake levels, he looks like the Sonic Generations classic Sonic.

Ah, Jeck, I know what the problem is with SRB2CB using shields & emeralds.
Those MD2s purposely don't have a texture, so the game just uses a 'left over' textures on the MD2.
In SRB2CB, the MD2s don't work like in other SRB2 versions because you're actually using a bug with how regular SRB2 handles MD2s - an MD2 uses the sprite's texture when an MD2 doesn't have its own png. (But it shouldn't it do that, it should make the MD2 white when it doesn't have a texture)

This shield/emerald method is hacky, MD2 models deserve better.

So, in the next version of SRB2CB we're going to give MD2s the real support they deserve - the ability to:
  1. Have an MD2 use multiple pngs for different colors
  2. Option to load MD2s from wad files so we don't have to use the MD2 folder and MD2.dat and modders can do things like make new objects that have MD2s built in. Plus, objects like a skateboard for instance, pretty much NEED an MD2 by default :P )
  3. Option to have MD2s use the sprite texture for backwards compatability (if you still like making some MD2s use this method)

We can just add brand new options for MD2s, you don't have to deal with work-arounds anymore.

(And we're giving MD2s even more love :P )
2u43kgg.png

In return for your epicness, I will be glad to make any Model you need, skateboard, tree, anything you need. Just name it!

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

I already started the skateboard based on Sonic Generations trailer.
SKAT.png

srb20023.png

Will every character be able to use this? Or just Young Sonic with the Skateboard.md2 in Young Sonic's folder?

---------- Post added at 04:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 AM ----------

That's in the Sonic Generations City Escape Trailer.
Ah. I didn't know. I don't check for the S.G. Trailers these days. =/

The Board replaces SRB2CB's sonic rider's board. Anyone can use it, but the only reason Sonic is posed the way he is, is because I changed his idol stance.

While the skateboard is ok, I think it'd be more interesting to have decks based off Adventure/DX's snowboards. That, and since these "skate"boards can apparently travel on water and have the Riders board appearance, perhaps an extreme gear wouldn't be out of the question?

In return for your epicness, I will be glad to make any Model you need, skateboard, tree, anything you need. Just name it!

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 PM ----------

I already started the skateboard based on Sonic Generations trailer.
SKAT.png

srb20023.png

Jeck, you're awesome. Thank you so much.

Your MD2 skills are getting pretty good, and I want to give you some suggestions on how I think some of the MD2s could be improved.
(and I can also do some more code modding to help improve your MD2s)

I'm going to concentrate on the classic MD2s because I think they could really build on the kind of classic look SRB2 is trying to replicate - but in 3D.

Classic Tails:
-The style you choose for when his tails are spinning is PERFECT, it makes the MD2 feel more like a cartoon - which is how it's supposed to be. (Plus the way you do it works really well with something else I'm planning to do with MD2s in the future
-The tails should not be up in the standing position, I know the sprite does this, but having the tails stand straight up is something that doesn't look good in 3D
-Walking and running animations are perfect

-Now here's something you'll need help to fix, some people say MD2s are "lifeless" - this is largely because you can't easily just make the character's eyelids close, or make their mouth move. I think per-state png's need to be done so MD2s can be far more lively

You can tell me if there's any details you want with how to set this up, but I was thinking of having it like:
NAMEOFMD2_A.png, NAMEOFMD2_B.png, etc. So you can control the png for every frame if you wanted, and the game would use the default NAMEOFMD2.png if the file for a specific frame is not found.

So when that feature comes, you can:
Make Tails eye lids half closed when he's yawning,
Make his eyelids look determined when running like >:-(
Have a sad facial expression when he dies,
Etc. - you know, control of facial expressions and other things like that

I think Classic Tails is the closest MD2 to being perfect, I'll continue reviewing the other classic models later.

You're doing a really good job, Jeck, if your need any new features for MD2s, just say so! (And I'll try helping you with the actual MD2 models too if you want)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back