Evil!!!!!!

Do you parents worry to much abougt video game violance

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I went to Bestbuy and found the greatest thing ever. The Doom Trilogy contianing doom1,doom 2 and final doom. I took it over to my father. He didnt even look at it for a terisecond and said no. Its my allowence I should be able to buy it. But my father is evil!!!!!! Those games are really old anyway. I wont turn into a evil demonic satainic monster for playing a violant game.

Well, Akira, how old are you? There are reasons the ratings are on games, and I'm glad at least a few people are listening to them.

My parents mainly listen to the ratings, but when I was younger I didn't really have a major desire to play violent video games, because back then most good games simply weren't. Mario Kart and Sonic aren't exactly violent. The more violent stuff, like Shinobi and Mortal Kombat either weren't appealing to me, or in the case of Mortal Kombat, really weren't actually good.

There are reasons the ratings exist, and if you're below about 16 or so, I think it's perfectly reasonable for your parents not to let you buy Doom. It's overly violent and not appropriate for children, albeit pixelated as all-hell.

Violent games should come with source code. After you read stuff like

Code:
void A_DripBlood(mobj_t *actor)
{
        mobj_t *mo;
        int r,s;

// evaluation order isn't define in C
        r = P_SignedRandom();
        s = P_SignedRandom();
        mo = P_SpawnMobj(actor->x+(r<<11),
                         actor->y+(s<<11), actor->z, MT_BLOOD);
        mo->momx = P_SignedRandom()<<10;
        mo->momy = P_SignedRandom()<<10;
        mo->flags2 |= MF2_LOGRAV;
}

it really doesn't get to you anymore.

Mystic said:
There are reasons the ratings exist, and if you're below about 16 or so, I think it's perfectly reasonable for your parents not to let you buy Doom. It's overly violent and not appropriate for children, albeit pixelated as all-hell.

Right. Your father's doing a good job. If my children came up to me with a game like DOOM, I'd do the same thing. There's a difference between letting him play a violent game like Street Fighter or SSBM and letting him play a gorefest like DOOM or The Suffering or GTA or Silent Hill or whatever.

I'd probably buy it for myself when my kid's not looking, but you get the idea. :wink:

I was actually serious when I said "Violent video games are incredibly easy to find online. Either he's stupid or you are."

When I was younger, my parents caught me setting up to tape an episode of South Park. They watched it, decided it was totally inappropriate (among other adjectives with negative connotation), and used a digital cable feature to lock the channel.

I promptly found a web site that had the episodes up for download in RealVideo.

Yes, having to use RealPlayer is self-punishing, but such cracks aside, any objectionable content you can buy in a store is on the Internet for free, times a thousand. Violence, sex, poor posture, it's all there and accessible to anyone. Regardless of whether 14 year olds can handle Doom, that person's father is being silly at best, and totally counterproductive at worst. That he's "doing a good job" is preposterous.

akirahedgehog: Your posting style and general tone don't speak to your maturity, and a few people here agree Doom games aren't appropriate for you. Nevertheless, your father apparently trusts you to make that decision yourself. If his actions in Best Buy don't show this, the Internet access he gives you does. You will find that you can get anything you want on the Internet. I hope you make a wise decision.

I agree with a441 100%. All of this malarky about violent video games is just half-baked shlock thought up by senator Liberman to gain support with the parents of gaming children. I've been playing violent games since a very young age, and i'm just fine. Not to say that violent games don't have ANY affect on young, impressional minds. Remember the shooting at Columbine? That was inspired by the uber sucky GTA clone, The Getaway. The only reason i'm not running around stabbing people right now is because I was mature enough to handle it. And judging by the maturity of this topic, you obviously aren't, Akira. >.>

I mainly wanted it so I could play around with it in WadAuthor. I think violance has some influance on kids. But not really that much unless youre playing them 24/7. And im 14 years old mystic. I guess Ill just forget abougt the game.

Yeah. I think that too many games are violent nowadays.
I personally hate violent games. They're so... violent.
They make me sick. They make me ill. I just don't like them. That's why I like SRB2 so much. You guys took a violent game and made it into something fun and enchanting. Kind of like how God can take our worthless lives and turn it into something for His glory. Not that legacy was worthless, mind you...

I don't like or dislike violent games. However, I dislike using violence for no particular reason. As an example, I think the N64 shooter Goldeneye is a perfect example of correctly using violence as a part of gameplay. There is a little blood, but it's minimal and there only to keep it moderately realistic. There isn't, however, excessive gore. Shot characters fall to the ground and die realistically, and blood doesn't spurt out like some kind of hydraulic system.

However, a lot of games have an insane amount of blood and gore for seamingly only to have blood and gore. I see no point to having blood where it isn't necessary. Mortal Kombat personally annoys me a lot because it is really just a subpar fighter with okay graphics and an insane amount of excess gore. If it weren't for the gore, MK would have never had any success, because the game itself really sucks, to be blunt. But because it was gory and had shock factor, it was a runaway hit that it simply didn't deserve to be.

I think violence in the media isn't anywhere near as much of an issue as a lot of politicians make it out to be. It is not the scapegoat of our society's problems and they would like us to believe. However, it DOES have meaning. There are good reasons not to let kids play violent games. The reason I think that the internet isn't as much of an issue, a441, is because once kids get old enough to find it on their own on the internet, they're old enough to ignore their parent's guidance anyways. I saw the Matrix for the first time when I was 15 and the movie was new by cheating my way around my parents, and at that point my parents decided to let me do what I wanted in terms of my media viewing.

However, I never said my parents were stupid for trying to keep me from seeing the Matrix. I appreciated that they kept me away from watching stuff of that nature for so long, so when I finally did cheat, I was more or less ready to accept violent and sexual stuff. It's not that it's hard to cheat, but that as long as parents are at least paying attention, that is a lot better than nothing, and worth a few minor annoyances, like not being able to play Doom for a few years. Parents like yours, Akira, are what this country needs more of, because they at least care about what you play on a basic level.

Luckily, my parents don't care ^^ I've been able to get M rated games since I was at least 8. Yey!

a441 said:
You totally missed my point, and might want to try reading a little closer.

I was simply stating that I agree with you, Then I added my own comment.
Oh, and that's nothing, Shaf. I've been playing M rated games since I was 5. :mrgreen:

My parents dont care, but I don't play them anyway. I completly understand why kids shouldn't play those games. I do play some games, but nothing like GTA, or any of those crap games about murder, and crime.

We're not saying they're not, firemario. And in the case of GTA3 and Half-Life, they aren't using excessive gore. You can't carjack a city and shoot aliens without blood. I'm complaining when they add blood just to make it rated T or M. That just annoys me.

I don't know about GTA3 but there's ALOT of excess blood in Vice CIty.
You cut off a guys head and blood just starts shooting out for like 10 seconds x.x.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back