• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Emmette Clyde Beta Thread

My first ever forum thread, I have no idea what I'm doing.

Anyway, as the title says, I've been developing an addon based on my OC since the beginning of 2023. Since the character is pretty much complete coding-wise, I figure I'd share the beta build here to get some feedback and hopefully find a spriter to help get this addon fully finished.

This is Emmette Clyde, a clydesdale/golden palomino mix with some pegasus DNA and wind powers.
EmmetteClydeRefSheet.png

She has a high double-jump and a short third jump that launches you forward, a crawl for going under gaps, a long jump/dive for breaking walls and enemies, a tornado move for slower descent and attacking enemies, and a ground pound for breaking floors and, again, damaging enemies.

Because most of her moves are wind-based, everything except her crawl and ground pound are completely disabled while underwater or out in space. But if you manage to grab a whirlwind shield, you regain access to your abilities and can use them anywhere. And to make things a bit more forgiving due to her underwater/space nerfs, she can't drown.

Attachments

• CL_Emmette_v0.9.pk3
    392.8 KB · Views: 77
Alright, following the release of 2.2.12, the addon has been updated with some revamped attacks and ground pound.
srb20029.gif

Attachments

• CL_Emmette_v0.9.pk3
    250.5 KB · Views: 59
Possibly my final script build of Emmette, with some attacks tweaked and some minor bug fixes.

Unless I manage to find a spriter to partner with or find more bugs that get reported to me, this might be the last update for a while.

Attachments

• CL_Emmette_v0.9.pk3
    250.7 KB · Views: 50
Fixed a minor bug relating to underwater physics, now when she's able to dive underwater she covers about as much distance as on dry land instead of going much farther than she should.

Attachments

• CL_Emmette_v0.9.pk3
    250.8 KB · Views: 72
Ok, small progress update (technically a big one in terms of progress, but small in terms of content)

The 3D model for Emmette has been completely rigged and textured, which means sprites are getting done!
srb20064.gif

So far the placeholder sprites for her standing, waiting, walking, rolling and hurt states are fully implemented. The placeholder sprites are the raw render output of the model itself from Blender, which means the shading and outline is pretty much already done. All that needs finalizing are the face, coloring the outline, and adding anti-aliasing.

But that will be done after all the placeholder sprites have been done and implemented.

Okay, so gameplay update.

For the longest time, you couldn't do any of Emmette's other moves besides the ground pound once you've performed the high tornado jump, and I couldn't figure out why.

Turns out it took removing one line of code containing one command to completely eliminate that roadblock, so now you can do virtually any move in any order. It might be a bit busted balance-wise, but I would have to wait and see what the beta testers say.
[tried inserting gif here but website refused to properly upload it]

Attachments

• CL_Emmette_v0.9.1.pk3
    449.5 KB · Views: 54
Estimated about halfway through with implementing all the placeholder sprites needed before finalization.

Also I updated the code slightly to make it a bit more optimized.
Post automatically merged:

Almost all of the placeholder sprites have been implemented, and I've fixed some minor bugs that I've found where you could long jump even while dying.

Attachments

• CL_Emmette_v0.9.2.pk3
    744.6 KB · Views: 58
  • CL_Emmette_v0.9.3.pk3
    944.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Alright, all of the placeholder sprites have been successfully implemented, which means it won't be much longer before this mod gets done and properly released. Her life icons, signpost, character select, continue icon, and the final fireworks screen are still Sonic because those will be done during the finalization process, since those will be done by hand instead of using the 3D model.

Oh, and i've added hoof sfx for her walking and running/galloping animations.

Attachments

• CL_Emmette_v0.9.4.pk3
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 65
oki after doing a full playthrough by accident i can say she is super fun! i will say her abilities being cut in water makes the water levels even less fun i guess i understand the reasoning but it just makes going underwater a slog if im going to be honest.
also she has a bug where she cant stomp above techno hill goop it just resets her stomp after touching the surface it seems
srb20025.gif
im sure you are still working on the sprites so i assume shes not going to be lifeless in the eyes for long.
but yeah she was alot more than i expected, she was so good i beat the entire game when i didnt plan too so i think thats cool!

oki after doing a full playthrough by accident i can say she is super fun! i will say her abilities being cut in water makes the water levels even less fun i guess i understand the reasoning but it just makes going underwater a slog if im going to be honest.
also she has a bug where she cant stomp above techno hill goop it just resets her stomp after touching the surface it seems
View attachment 103289.
im sure you are still working on the sprites so i assume shes not going to be lifeless in the eyes for long.
but yeah she was alot more than i expected, she was so good i beat the entire game when i didnt plan too so i think thats cool!
I'm glad you had fun with her! Her air abilities being cut underwater is a bit difficult to balance, but I don't want to do away with the quirk entirely either. I'll hopefully figure something out in the future, but I'm open for suggestions.

Also thank you for the bug report, it has now been patched.

Attachments

• CL_Emmette_v0.9.5.pk3
    1 MB · Views: 62
that was quick alright. i wish i had suggestions on how to fix the underwater thing without out right removing it, maybe she has weaker versions of the moves? idk thats all i got but i wish you luck on this project and have fun!

Update: I have tweaked it so that her wind abilities only get severely nerfed underwater (if you don't have an elemental shield or bubble shield or whirlwind shield) instead of getting outright disabled. It should make going though water levels less of a pain than usual.

Attachments

• CL_Emmette_v0.9.6.pk3
    1 MB · Views: 49
Major update: I've combined her dive and tornado glide into one button (custom 1), so you only need to press it on the ground to dive and hold it in the air to do the glide. This should hopefully streamline her moveset a bit and not make the character as awkward to use.

In terms of graphical updates, most of her final sprites have been implemented, and I'm aiming to get her fully completed and released by next week.

Also for those that might inevitably discover it,
pressing custom 3 and tossflag simultaneously while standing still on the ground will trigger a music change. This is an intentional feature for an easter egg that hasn't been implemented yet, so disregard it for now unless you find some bugs relating to it that needs reporting.

Updated: patched a bug where you could fly infinitely due to the tornado glide resetting the tornado jumps. Also all of the final pre-rendered sprites have been implemented, which leaves only the signpost, life icon, 1-up box icon, continue icon, character select sprite, and the fireworks animation to be done.

Attachments

• CL_Emmette_v0.9.7.pk3
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • CL_Emmette_v0.9.8.pk3
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Alright, the last beta build.

All of her sprites have been done and implemented and her mechanics seem to be finalized, all that's left is to put together a trailer and iron out any bugs that are left. She should hopefully see a proper release by the end of this week.

Attachments

• CL_Emmette_v0.9.9.pk3
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
she seems good to go to me i couldnt find many bugs but there arm some oddities, she seems to be too tall for special stages mainly the last one i kept bonking on the celling and got hit by many things i dont think i should've gotten hit by. and now from problems i actually have images for.
srb20164.png

this zero appears in first person when underwater, i assume it has something to do with her ability to breath underwater, its not really a problem and idk how you would even fix this but just thought i'd point it out.
i was gonna show a gif of Emmet sliding on her rear when crawling in 2D mode but it says the file its too big so uh pretend that gif is here. yeah she just slides when crawling in 2D mode thats all.

i think thats all, she was very fun to play overall and cant wait for the full release! amazing job!

Alright, for those that have been watching this thread and haven't heard the news yet, Emmette Clyde is now officially released!

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back