custom char super forms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured superflags were already in existence with the castle eggman 2 door that only opens when you have all seven emeralds or get behind it.

I'm not 100% clear on what superflags are - a MAINCFG or a hardcoded thing - but I am all for the idea of denying the superforms until a goal of some kind is met. I believe that that goal should be going Super Sonic in SP then completing the game as Sonic... all in one run, no save/load, no restarts.

I believe that that goal should be going Super Sonic in SP then completing the game as Sonic... all in one run, no save/load, no restarts.

I think the one run might be pushing it juuust a little. What if someone needed to eat? They'd have to do it all over again, especially if they're in ERZ.

No continues though would be good. Yeah. Complete SP with all emeralds as Sonic to unlock custom supers. And make the "Have all emeralds" cheat modify the game dignabbit!

But what about netplay? Should the joiners only be allowed super if they did the requirements, or should it rely on the host's save file?

I believe that that goal should be going Super Sonic in SP then completing the game as Sonic... all in one run, no save/load, no restarts.
I think the one run might be pushing it juuust a little. What if someone needed to eat? They'd have to do it all over again, especially if they're in ERZ.
Push esc to bring up the menu, or "pause|break" to pause, I didn't say they couldn't pause.
No continues though would be good. Yeah. Complete SP with all emeralds as Sonic to unlock custom supers. And make the "Have all emeralds" cheat modify the game dignabbit!
YES
But what about netplay? Should the joiners only be allowed super if they did the requirements, or should it rely on the host's save file?
I'd make it rely on the host's save.

Push esc to bring up the menu, or "pause|break" to pause, I didn't say they couldn't pause.

What if they couldn't come back to the game afterwards, and weren't allowed to keep their laptop/computer/mac/Wii/linux/whatever-system-you-want on?

Then why would they even try to play through the game in the first place? Anyway, having a requirement for being able to play WADs with custom superforms is a very bad idea. As you have already seen, it would either need to be completely forbidden in netgames (in which case it would be half useless) or rely on the host (in which case you could just as well allow it for everybody). Also, disallowing someone to play with a certain custom character just because they haven't beat the game yet seems like total nonsense to me. It would also not help with overpowered characters in any way. By the way, why do you even want superforms in SP/Coop?

No wonder you're called spiritcrusher. But I'm afraid you failed this time. You see, by making you EARN super forms, you prove that you do not need to rely on overpowered wads. Because honestly, Sonic is the hardest to get all the emeralds with.

I'm not 100% clear on what superflags are .
Superflags are a console command kinda like cechoflags. Add certain values together to get the desired outcome. Senku's got the values for it if you look at earlier posts in the thread.

No wonder you're called spiritcrusher. But I'm afraid you failed this time. You see, by making you EARN super forms, you prove that you do not need to rely on overpowered wads. Because honestly, Sonic is the hardest to get all the emeralds with.
But you can't even save progress with overpowered wads.

*headdesk*

Superflags were (key word there) an S_SKIN option. They were not ported and will never be ported because they just plain make no sense with the current system.

well then I guess it should be that only those who earned it can use it, instead of host's gamesave deciding it. But Sonic can ALWAYS go super ONCE AGAIN, SPIRITCRUSHER, YOU FAILED!

How about "Don't add a skin variable that relies on an extraneous condition such as 'require the user to complete the game with all emeralds' in order for someone to use it", hm?

But Sonic can ALWAYS go super ONCE AGAIN, SPIRITCRUSHER, YOU FAILED!

Sonic can't ALWAYS be Super, Shiningflare, the point of Sonic being Super is that Sonic EARNED his superiority, and this coupled with being the main character, he gets the ability to go Super. There is no fair way to even gauge power amongst character wads, and even if they did, they'd have to be Sonic to be super anyway, and nobody wants 9 more Sonic wads. forcing characters to have their own save data of sorts would just open a huge, unnecessary can of worms.

And why are you obsessing with what is basically Invincibility and Speed Shoes at the same time with some other gimmick ability tacked on? They just remove all gameplay and make the game way too easy. Sonic gets to do it because the point is that you EARN it and could use the power to save yourself some issues later, then you pretty much dont touch the emeralds anymore except maybe for emblem hunting or going through a really awful OLDC stage or something., but if everyone and their mother went super, than that just removes all challenge!

I meant that he is always able to go super as long as he has all the emeralds. I know he can't go Super all the time. Also, LOTS OF PEOPLE CARE! I MEAN, NOT ALL SUPERS HAVE EXTRA ABILITIES, BUT EVERYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE THE EMERALD'S POWER! THINK BACK TO SONIC 3 & KNUCKLES AND SONIC ADVENTURE 2! KNUX AND SHADOW GAIN SUPER AND HYPER FORMS, PLUS TAILS GETS A SUPER FORM (even though he has no hyper), AND IN SONICX HE GETS A DARK FORM! THINK ABOUT IT!

Last edited:
S3&K's supers/hypers are generally regarded as a big mistake around here. And Sonic Adventure (and later) is hardly the style we're going after.

Also, Sonic can not go super all the time when he has the emeralds. He still needs 50 rings.

Oh, and please stop with the all caps. It really isn't helping you out at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back