custom char super forms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if there is a topic about this, and I'm not gonna look through 50 pages of topics, but I think it's a bit unfair that they removed the ability to make super forms for custom characters. I hope that in 2.0.7 and up we will be able to make them again.

The problem is with giving custom characters super forms, is that every character and their dog had a super form. As a result, well, turning super was not special anymore. That and there was a crackdown on overpowered wads that were starting to get rather annoying, I imagine the decision to remove the ability for character wads to turn super in single player/coop was also influenced by this.

Although, back when 2.0 was released, there was a discussion on the forums about a different system that would give people creating character wads more control without enabling them to create overpowered characters. For example, one idea suggested, was that if the player wanted a super peel out (like in Sonic CD) they would have to give up the Spindash. Or raising the max speed of a character would reduce the acceleration. Although, this was at least half a year ago now, and I don't know if any progress was ever made on this.

Last edited:
Super Sonic is the reward for clearing the game as the harder character, Sonic. Like Whackjood said, if every character gets to have a Super form, then suddenly Super Sonic isn't that much of a reward.

In Match, though, every character has a super form because otherwise the game would be unbalanced. Though it begs the question why Coop doesn't have super forms for all the characters too, ask Mystic and he'll just say stuff like "Coop is just an extension of Single Player", and "SRB2 has only three main gametypes: Single Player, Match and CTF", but if you ask me it's just because he cares more about balance in match than any other gametype :3

I still stand by my argument of a "points" system in character creation, where you must distribute points across your character's stats and are not allowed to go over a certain total.

I still wonder why we removed super from custom myself. I mean we already have the release system, if the character feels powerful enough and adds in a superform just deny release for the wad.

For coop, why not a toggleable serverside command: Allowsuper?

For Singleplayer custom supers should only be allowed ONLY if you beat them game as STK with all emeralds first (Could even tack emblems on?).

I still wouldn't mind my superflags idea I used to bug Inuyasha about to be used for singleplayer/coop. (I think it is a bit limited though, maybe add a number for multiability while super)

Code:
Add together for end result (1+2 = 1 still)

0 - no invincibility at all
1 - invincible
2 - 10 ring hurt
4 - fast run
8 - high jump
16 - invincibility sparkles
32 - water run
45 - default
64 - superfloat

Last edited:
"Supersonic won't be special anymore"

Isn't his ability - Super float hardcoded? He is special enough.
What about other characters? Hinote is similar to Sonic, having the same challenge for all the special stages. Yet, that character doesn't get a reward.

One more question about Super Sonic.

Can a regular character have Float and another ability? (Thok for example)

Senku's superflags idea is pretty much what I was hoping for way back when. A "super form" without invincibility? A strange bit of fresh air when, yes, everybody and their dog turned gold and sparkly at the drop of a hat.

I do like the current system (aside from the whole multiability = nojumpspin thing), but I can see some improvements. I'm mostly wondering what's gonna happen and what will change when the developers find the "balance" they're looking for.

I agree with AutoSaver. Hinote is really just a sprite and sound swap of Sonic, so why refuse her to have a super form? I also like Senku's idea. Characters should be allowed Super Forms, and they should be earned, and not easilly either.

I agree with AutoSaver. Hinote is really just a sprite and sound swap of Sonic, so why refuse her to have a super form? I also like Senku's idea. Characters should be allowed Super Forms, and they should be earned, and not easilly either.
And how would the game tell an overpowered character from a balanced one? It's not as easy as "This character can get a superform, this can't", it's either for all characters or for one.

Senku's superflags idea is pretty much what I was hoping for way back when. A "super form" without invincibility? A strange bit of fresh air when, yes, everybody and their dog turned gold and sparkly at the drop of a hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB5YZM48KFc

He hasn't stopped bugging me since then to bring it over to 2.0, even though I see no point for it with the way super works currently. :<

Perhaps if I put a censor on the word "superflags"...

How can a character have two abilities at the same time, please?
Like Mecha said
Super Sonic can thok while floating. I'd think you would be able to SOC a multiability also.

So hes special enough already, but the real point. "Overpowed characters" still fits, you're right.

Oh, the superflags are a great idea. Port them over. :x

FuriousFox's widely-used super monitor wad already makes it easy to use super forms in netgames, so you might as well just cut out the middle man.

I personally think that the superflags are a great idea. They could be turned on at certain stages to allow super forms to pass otherwise impassable barriers. I plan to have a whole stage revolving around that idea.

In my opinion, I think the superflags are a good idea but the name somehow doesn't fit for me but it's up to you guys to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back