Creating new .exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a n00b question for all of you. I want to edit the code for SRB2 (I'm attempting to create inclines) but when I try to run the program again nothing has changed. I think I may need to create an .exe file for my changes, but have no idea how. Searching has not helped. Does anyone know what I should do? Thanks.
P.S. I'm using MS Visual Studio, if important

The new exe is defaulted to appear in c:\srb2demo2.
To change that, go to Project->Settings->Debug Tab-> Executable for debug section. Change that to the directory and exe you want. Underneath that, set the Working Directory to the same directory as above (leave out the exe filename part, though).. I'm not sure what that does, but it works.
After that, go to the Link tab and type in the directory and filename you want under Output Filename:.
Hit compile.
Also Nega, please shut up. JTE and I have modified the exe before. It's nothing new. :/

Shuffle said:
The new exe is defaulted to appear in c:\srb2demo2.
To change that, go to Project->Settings->Debug Tab-> Executable for debug section. Change that to the directory and exe you want.
Underneath that, set the Working Directory to the same directory as above (leave out the exe filename part, though).. I'm not sure what that does, but it works.
After that, go to the Link tab and type in the directory and filename you want under Output Filename:.
Hit compile.
Also Nega, please shut up. JTE and I have modified the exe before. It's nothing new. :/

We probably have different versions of MS Visual C++ then; I'm using the 2003 version. I have Project->Properties; then there's information about configuration properties. Then I can set Debugging and Linker properties, just fine. However, when I "compile" (I'm assuming you mean Build Project), I get:

Compiling tmap_vc.nas with NASM...
'nasmw' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Compiling tmap_vc.nas with NASM..."

In short, it doesn't compile. Now what?

Does anyone actually read these subject lines?

Antiporcupine said:
Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Compiling tmap_vc.nas with NASM..."

You need NASM, as you've probably guessed by now. Get it at http://nasm.sourceforge.net/ if you don't have it already. Also, you need to add NASM's directory to VC's list of binary directories, which, in VC6 at least, can be set in the Options dialogue.

You'll also need Fmod 3.75 (http://www.fmod.org/) to compile the DirectX Win32 version.

Antiporcupine said:

readme.txt said:
Win32 with Visual C 6/7
~~~

2 VC++ 6.0 project files are included:

Win32/DirectX/FMOD
src\win32\wLegacy.dsw
You'll need FMOD to compile this version (www.fmod.org)
or
Win32/SDL/SDL_mixer
src\sdl\Win32SDL.dsp
You'll need SDL and SDL_mixer for this version (www.libsdl.org)

Both needs NASM

get it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/nasm

Or, if you have DevC++, use the Devpacks (Found in sig), that Logan made, that he released in #SRB2Fun, and I zipped and uploaded for people, because some couldn't, for some reason or other, connect to Logan's space. :|

HeHe, oops, I thought NASM was an included file or something, not a completely separate program. That explains a LOT. Downloading NASM and FMOD now, thanks.
Oh, and I know that SRB2 is C not C++. I actually know more C than C++; that's just the program that my most recent programming course required. C++ is backwards compatible, so I think I'm fine as long as I don't cross over into C++ code.

EDIT: Okay, I downloaded and unzipped correctly (I think). However....

Oogaland said:
Also, you need to add NASM's directory to VC's list of binary directories, which, in VC6 at least, can be set in the Options dialogue.

I can't seem to find this. I went to Tools/Options/Projects/VC++ Directories and added the path to the directories, but I get the same error message when I try to Build Project. Now what? Thanks.

shuffle... :'( I just am happy someone wants to attempt to edit the EXE! okay ;_; WOULDN'T YOU AGREE?

nega-sonic said:
shuffle... :'( I just am happy someone wants to attempt to edit the EXE! okay ;_; WOULDN'T YOU AGREE?

No. It happens all the time. Hell, an edit was made today: The 1.09.8 "patch".

Hokay, brand new problem. I successfully downloaded and implemented NASM and FMOD. Now, when I try to compile, I get 8 errors and 30 warnings, all from the same file: win_snd.c. Do I have to go into the code and fix all these, or is there some easier way? Thanks!

Antiporcupine said:
Hokay, brand new problem. I successfully downloaded and implemented NASM and FMOD. Now, when I try to compile, I get 8 errors and 30 warnings, all from the same file: win_snd.c. Do I have to go into the code and fix all these, or is there some easier way? Thanks!
What sort of errors are you getting? If it's Fmod-related stuff, double-check that you're using the right version (you need 3.75, not 4.x). Also, I don't know whether anyone's tried compiling SRB2 with VC2003, so you might need to fiddle with the compiler options slightly.

Sorry, I was using 4.04 or something like that. Now, I've finally created an EXE, but I have one more (hopefully the last) problem. Every time I run the file I get an error message, "File is corrupt or has been modified". How do I stop this?
Oh, and thank you all for patiently answering all my questions. You make a n00b feel welcome. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back