• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

(CANCELED) Sonic: Gear One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I have a problem that requires restoring tons of backup files.
Simply put: Whenever I insert the music, it screws up one of my maps. The level that this happens to ends up looking like RVZ. All the linedefs point in random directions.

I'll Begin said:
BlueZero4 said:
In SRB2 Builder:

Setors mode --> Sectors --> Set up FOF....
If it was that easy I would of released levels AGES ago.
And yet, I can't tell you if it's buggy or not because I don't use that feature at all. I'll be happy to try it out, but I seriously prefer the whole "control sector/linedef/tag it" way. It's frikkin' unnatural. Heck, I can create Zoomtubes now after looking at the wizard do it for me. Again, I prefer knowing the tips and tricks of the map editor instead of breezing right through it on a cusion of Wizard.

This mod is back from the grave!

What's new in this version?
-Bridge Zone 1 has a new start to the level and a few touchups here and there. Now featuring currents as part of design!
-Bridge Zone 2 has been scrapped entirely.
-Bridge Zone 3 has been scrapped, but replaced with a new level.
srb20089sh2.png

-Pine trees! The graphic replaces the underused Toad, since I'm not going to use him anywhere in the mod.
-Sky Base Zone Act 1 prototype.
-Real Deal Metal Harbour has been extended only a little bit.
-I forget what else...

Just play it and see!
Download latest version!

Whee, double post!

Missed a texture to align there. The other side is fine though.

Needless slowdown here and here. You should try one-sided linedefs if you haven't

Too high. Easily fixed.

Everywhere in this zone that uses gradient lighting has texture alignment problems on the wall and rails. Probably wooden sleepers too but I didn't care to look.

Co-op in this level = probably death due to the moving elevators, although I didn't test to see. Also, why are there two entrances to the base?

This could be more interesting with vertically moving FoFs.

Two problems here. Why is so much of the ship's underbelly explorable (would reduce lag if more of the ship wasn't Fofs)? And what's with the blue? Is it for testing the areas above it?

Couldn't resist. Sorry.

Why is that cylinder a Fof? It could easily just be a normal Sector, plus it removes a little slowdown. Also, are you going to install loops?

I'll Begin said:
Whee, double post!

Missed a texture to align there. The other side is fine though.
Bah, why does that always happen? I'm always missing one little texture alignment! Anyways, it's actually a slope that sort of works in that going down it speeds you up, and going up it slows you down. I love being the first person to do stuff.

Needless slowdown here and here. You should try one-sided linedefs if you haven't
Well, I guess I really should for those who don't have powerful computers.

Too high. Easily fixed.
Too high..? You can jump onto it, can't you?

Everywhere in this zone that uses gradient lighting has texture alignment problems on the wall and rails. Probably wooden sleepers too but I didn't care to look.
I guess I'll have to fix that by using the texture aligner. Taking the easy way out by using a small sector alongside wouldn't work.

Co-op in this level = probably death due to the moving elevators, although I didn't test to see. Also, why are there two entrances to the base?
This level was actually designed for Co-op. Players 1 and 3 start on one elevator, while 2 and 4 start on the other.

This could be more interesting with vertically moving FoFs.
Yeah, I think it doesn't go over well as-is.

Two problems here. Why is so much of the ship's underbelly explorable (would reduce lag if more of the ship wasn't Fofs)? And what's with the blue? Is it for testing the areas above it?
1. Sky textures don't work on walls or if the ceiling flat is different from F_SKY1, so I had to kind of work around them.
2. If I make any less of it FOFs, then the blue will be a lot more easily spotted.

Couldn't resist. Sorry.
Indeed, poor Toad got turned into a tree.

Why is that cylinder a Fof? It could easily just be a normal Sector, plus it removes a little slowdown. Also, are you going to install loops?
This representation was meant to be as accurate as possible (Minus stair FOFs), hence the nickname "Real Deal Metal Harbour".

I've started work on Jungle Zone and replaced the music with something I feel could work a lot better for the theme I want to create. Verdant Forest Zone music is too... Dark. I sort of shy away from using Mystic Realm music anyway for some reason, so now it works well. Here's to Meadow Match for providing a nice happy beat, and to all the moss-covered textures out there.

Well I was going to review this, but there isn't that much here, bridge zone 2 was a decent level, I don't know why you got rid of it. Also my level pack is still far from done so I still didn't use that boss level you made, and I need to get the file back, I accidently deleted it when I deleted all my old srb2 folders, when I redownloaded srb2.

I deleted Bridge Zone 2 because it was simply too linear. There was really only one path to the exit. Besides, it glitched up in OpenGL. (Not supported, but I try to fix what I can to stop the complainers who insist on using it)

I'll try to bring Jungle Zone up to meet all the standards, and then some.

Also, Sky Base Zone is too cramped now that I think about it. I'll fix that up when I get back to working on it.

I don't know about you, but I liked Bridge zone act 1 before hand, though acts 2 and 3 needed to be scrapped.

And btw, need some SA2 texs? I can find the metal harbor ones if you want.

I think it was a goood idea to put your metal harbor/harbour into the mod. I was afraid you gave up on it. You have outdone yourself, at least that's what I say.

No, this project is not dead and I have no intention of letting it die. I took a short leave of absence from the Internet, and hopefully it will not consume my time as much as it did before. I've been juggling a few concepts around, and there are going to be some changes/confirmations.

- Even though I wanted to put custom music in before and I know how to do it without everything messing up now, I won't. The music wouldn't fit in any case.
- Custom textures will be featured, but not a lot. Having nine square-checker levels in one pack would be awful. Therefore, some textures will be added without replacing any others. You can be assured full compatibility with any WAD that doesn't use Toad.
- Game data will be added eventually.
- Updates will be a lot less frequent, and be based on a point system. One hundred points per update.
New act fully completed: 50 points
Boss arenas: 30 points
Finished incomplete levels: 20 points
Concepts of levels: 10 points
New graphic or texture: 2 points
- So far, I've scrapped two more concepts of Labyrinth Zone 3 and the first rendition. A scrolling level with you riding on top of the mine carts does NOT work out well.

And just to tide you over, here's a screenshot of the new Bridge Zone wall texture. Started off as a recolour of GFZINSID, but all those little diamonds were too loud. Textures are all mostly aligned for your viewing pleasure.
srb20093wj1.png

I saw that metal harbor/harbour is incomplete still. Why not put a goal sign anyways so people can finish the level anyways? You leave the goal post until you update it again. Then you move it to where it ends. You keep doing this until it's finished. Simple?

metalsonicmk72 said:
I saw that metal harbor/harbour is incomplete still. Why not put a goal sign anyways so people can finish the level anyways? You leave the goal post until you update it again. Then you move it to where it ends. You keep doing this until it's finished. Simple?
Quite simply, if I put a goal post I get the feeling that I can just leave it as-is and other people will feel it's complete. But then again, by not putting a goal post people might not play the level because they know it is incomplete.

And a few things I forgot to mention.
-By next release, hopefully Bridge Zone 1 and Green Hill Zone 1 will be in a semi-complete state.
-The current Sky Base Zone has been scrapped in favour of a linedef executor-heavy plan involving a hangar, scrolling textures, and better design.

I'll Begin said:
Whee, double post!

Huh. Looks like I've got some work to do :?

Small update to show that this project is not dead. Bridge Zone 1 and Green Hill Zone 1 have been finalized (Minus decorations) and thus I'm up 40 points on a demo. The extra graphics I inserted add about ten points to the total, so Sonic 1 Game Gear Blast is halfway to a release.

Also... (Released on IRC)
srb20101tf0.png

What could this be, I wonder? >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back