• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

(CANCELED) Sonic: Gear One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, some slightly harsher criticism! I'm not finished with Labyrinth yet. If need be, after I'm finished with some other stages I'll rectify that. After all, I'm still missing Green Hill Zone and Jungle Zone. I'll fix that up when I'm done with what I'm currently working on, I promise. Promises are wasted on those that don't accept them...

Boinciel said:
I won't let this die, even if I have to double post!

I decided to work on Act 2 of Green Hill a bit. I had to shift to Sendspace because SRB2FFH decided to say I didn't pick a file to upload EVERY SINGLE TIME I TRIED TO UPLOAD IT. Bah, Sendspace sucks but it's my only option. If I have to, I'll splice some levels together like Mystic Realm if they're too short at the end. Anyways, front page link updated. Might I remind you that the link is updated daily?

I had an idea for Jungle Zone. This jungle is up north, and it's getting cold. Think- A wintry jungle! Bet nobody has ever thought of making a level like that. I may rename it to Frigid Jungle.

So, any comments/suggestions/rants about GHZ2? How the level ends will be a surprise- but all I can say is think Jade Coast Zone Act 2, and turn right of your starting point. Look at what the ground does. Remind you of what's below the next Zone, by any chance?

I also tried to retexture Bridge Zone with GFZINSID textures. That failed because the rocks looked a bit too red for the surroundings. I wanted to change the Bridge Zone rock textures so it didn't resemble Green Hill Zone, but meh.

As for all of the other stages, the level design isn't quite up to par with that of LBZ1; I can't really explain how or why, they're all just missing that 'official stage' edge. Keep in mind that you should always strive for wide-open areas. Not too wide, but enough to give the player some thok room. Take the pair of bridges shown here; personally, I say there should be enough space between the bridges so that you'd need to thok from one bridge to be able to reach the next, and the bridges themselves should be wide enough to allow the player to do so without much risk of falling off.

Also, the spring sequences are neat and all, but they're a bit unnecessary; try not to use them so often.

Good News(2): 1. I haveThis game on my XBOX, so I'd be happy to help! :D
Bad News: I can't get past Bridge Zone on my XBOX, but I'll try.

Make Tails not fall from the skies when you begin an Act.

No offense, but I think making Jungle Zone icy is a bad idea.

All right, I've restarted work on this. The new beta is on the front page.

What's new?
-In an effort to combine my projects, scr_realdealmetalharbour.wad has been added and replaces MAP42.
-Sky Pinball was scrapped. Interesting idea, but not very good in practice.
-Green Hill Zone 1 (MAP01) now has a RedXVI cameo.
-Green Hill Zone 2 (MAP02) has been slightly extended.
-Bridge Zone 1 (MAP04) has grass textures added to the sides and a tighter Thok Barrier.
-Labyrinth Zone 3 (MAP12) has railroad tracks and four new large areas.
-All levels are time-attackable.
-All levels that have been completed or are moderately incomplete are able to be selected from the Level Select.

Needed Stuff:
-I'd like to put in Act 2 music for the levels. This music won't be in SRB2, though...
-I need to fix the end of LBZ1. Rearrange the linedefs so they point towards the end sign a bit more and take out the steam vents.
-I'd like this to not be locked as an "Old Project."

Developer's Comments:
I think that LBZ3 is truly amazing. Take a look at all the sectors in Doom Builder and then realize this: Even with all those sectors and linedefs, there is absolutely no slowdown in either Software or OpenGL.

I've been wanting to continue work on this for a while... Just go ahead and give it a download if you feel you're ready to give me another chance. I admit that I made a horrible decision dropping this, and am willing to give it another try.

Permission Requests:
-Arrow, can I use that Mine Maze Act 2 music you have on your site? It wasn't in Music.dta, so I think that it would be fair to have SRB2 music that wasn't put in. (Rejected)
-Blue Warrior, can I use your Green Hill MIDI from your S1-3K compilation?
-Tweaker, can I use that MP3 you made out of the above MIDI?

OMGHUGEBUMPBANBANBAN!

Boinciel said:
-Arrow, can I use that Mine Maze Act 2 music you have on your site? It wasn't in Music.dta, so I think that it would be fair to have SRB2 music that wasn't put in.

And then what happens when we release the final and Mine Maze Act 2 suddenly doesn't have a song anymore because it was used elsewhere? =/

Arrow said:
Boinciel said:
-Arrow, can I use that Mine Maze Act 2 music you have on your site? It wasn't in Music.dta, so I think that it would be fair to have SRB2 music that wasn't put in.

And then what happens when we release the final and Mine Maze Act 2 suddenly doesn't have a song anymore because it was used elsewhere? =/

Then I'll add the file manually through use of XWE.

Boinciel said:

My post was basically a glorified "no"; I'm not certain you realized that.

Nothing against you or your idea. But though the song isn't in music.dta right at this moment means nothing; it will appear later. Since it's officially MM2's song, you'll need to use something else.

Arrow said:
Boinciel said:

My post was basically a glorified "no"; I'm not certain you realized that.

Nothing against you or your idea. But though the song isn't in music.dta right at this moment means nothing; it will appear later. Since it's officially MM2's song, you'll need to use something else.

Ah. That's... 5 (Or 6, depending on if I want another boss music version) songs to search for, and one song found but not yet accepted.

Something tells me I'd better stick to mapping.

glaber said:
Please don't use rapid share. the link expired!

I never used Rapidshare... Try it again?

Sendspace is only temporary. It's only until SRB2FFH gets to the new server.

Arrow said:
I'd be more amazed if you released the final and Mine Maze Act 2 was even present, given that it's no longer in the official list of levels.

Yay, this project isn't dead!

Anyways, I encountered many weirdnesses (not all glitches) while playing this, including some (seemingly) old ones I never notised before.

BZ2: Standing on whatever the heck this is.

GHZ1: That looks like the wrong texture under that waterfall.

Various: Stuff like this isn't too hard to fix. You can either set texture offsets, or have the wall in a seperate sector which cuts the ends off the floor sectors.

BZ2: Not a glitch, but this sure hole fooled me...

GHZ2: Notise how the colormap goes into the bottom of my sheild? This only happens in Software mode, but I don't know how you'll fix it.

Also:
Boinciel said:
I think that LBZ3 is truly amazing. Take a look at all the sectors in Doom Builder and then realize this: Even with all those sectors and linedefs, there is absolutely no slowdown in either Software or OpenGL.
Is bull. This level slows me down. I have an old computer though

Boinciel said:
I'm fine with the GHZ music built into SRB2, personally. Besides, you might as well change all of the music to remixes of the Game Gear game's music.

Aalso, it might not be a bad idea to structure Labrynth Zone 2 the be like Forest Labrynth Zone from Mystic Realm.

Speaking of Labrynth Zone, can you please not use boost-pads that make you spin? It prevents characters with no spin-dash from going on without jumping. Use the other boost-pad sector effect, the one that makes you run.

I'll Begin said:
Yay, this project isn't dead!

Anyways, I encountered many weirdnesses (not all glitches) while playing this, including some (seemingly) old ones I never notised before.

BZ2: Standing on whatever the heck this is.
It's SUPPOSED to be a TV. I was lazy back then and never bothered to fix it.

GHZ1: That looks like the wrong texture under that waterfall.
Gah! I've been meaning to fix that for weeks! Fix'd.

Various: Stuff like this isn't too hard to fix. You can either set texture offsets, or have the wall in a seperate sector which cuts the ends off the floor sectors.
Yeah, fixed.

It won't fool you any more. It has grass around the edges now.

GHZ2: Notise how the colormap goes into the bottom of my sheild? This only happens in Software mode, but I don't know how you'll fix it.
I simply changed the tag to one with no colormap. Fixed.

Also:
Boinciel said:
Is bull. This level slows me down. I have an old computer though.
Yeah, 13000 linedefs all being rendered at once can do that. I use 960 by 600 as the native render setting, so I have the feeling it might be on really slow computers only. If it makes you happy, I'll keep it from rendering a bit of the tunnels.

Boinciel said:
I'm fine with the GHZ music built into SRB2, personally. Besides, you might as well change all of the music to remixes of the Game Gear game's music.
It's only for the Act 2 music. I'm planning on changing the title screen music and the Level Clear music anyway.

Aalso, it might not be a bad idea to structure Labrynth Zone 2 the be like Forest Labrynth Zone from Mystic Realm.
Nah. I'll make it a bit confusing, but not too confusing. Every hole will lead you somewhere else. No death pits in this one!

Speaking of Labrynth Zone, can you please not use boost-pads that make you spin? It prevents characters with no spin-dash from going on without jumping. Use the other boost-pad sector effect, the one that makes you run.
Unfortunately you lose speed when that happens. If I use Wind and speed boosters, you won't be able to go back there. The best tip is to not add any no-spin character WADs.

I've also fixed the texture offsets in GHZ1.
So, anyone found RedXVI in GHZ1 yet? He's going to be hidden somewhere in every level, usually guarding extra lives and hoarding monitors.

Boinciel said:

I saw the hole fine before. I just didn't realise it was a death pit until I jumped down.

I'll Begin said:
Boinciel said:

I saw the hole fine before. I just didn't realise it was a death pit until I jumped down.

Hmm... Why'd I put it as a death pit anyways? I'll make sure to change that when I can get around to it.

Nice, I see you broke wall #4 with act 2 happening after act 1 i like that, my level is taking a similar approach, bridge zone was awesome nice use of springs, i see you made some blocks, my version doesn't appear to have that so I was stuck not using 3D-Blocks, I will hold off until my second level to ask how to do so with my version, anyway nice levels, continue, it's too awesome to not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back