Arid Canyon Zone Act 1 Sonics Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I knew about crawla hopping a long time ago, and I still can't do it to save my life. It's just too hard for me. ACZ1's Sonic emblem is WAY too hard for newbies to get in my opinion. I believe it needs to be switched with ACZ's Knux emblem.

Yeah, I knew about crawla hopping a long time ago, and I still can't do it to save my life. It's just too hard for me. ACZ1's Sonic emblem is WAY too hard for newbies to get in my opinion. I believe it needs to be switched with ACZ's Knux emblem.
That would remove all challenge from both emblems.

Kuncles' emblem on the unfinished path is fine. You just got to remember to carry an air shield.

Don't all the Sonic games, hell, don't the MARIO tell you that?
It does work that way in classic Sonic, but it's not a particularly obvious thing in SRB2 unless you're really paying attention, because you have to be holding jump after hitting the object as well, and you also have to be paying attention really closely. For instance, you normally can't reach up to a 128 platform as Sonic, but if you bounce off an enemy you can barely make it. The difference is so subtle that the average player is not likely to notice they actually gained a little height.

While it's slightly more obvious on larger bounces, most players aren't going to risk such a move unless they already know what they're doing because of the accuracy necessary to hit an object at such speeds.

Bounce off spring underwater = Higher altitude
Bounce off enemy = Slightly higher altitude
Bounce off underwater enemy = Even higher altitude

Seems pretty obvious to me.
Again, I'd like to remind you that we don't assume the player understands either of the first two points there. Also, you're actually incorrect in why bouncing off an underwater enemy is such a massive boost.

Whenever you enter the water, you're not slowed down going in, but the instant you start trying to move underwater you're slowed due to the resistance of the water. To simulate the lack of friction in air compared to water, the old Sonic games made you gain speed when you left the water. This is intact in SRB2. Also, anything that grants vertical force ALSO is increased underwater.

What this means is that when you enter the water, you're not slowed down, but when you LEAVE the water you're given extra vertical momentum, and it's multiplicative. Hence, when you go down into the water, your massive downward speed is preserved, you bounce on the Crawla, reversing it and giving you a massive upward speed, and then when you breach the surface of the water it multiplies it, providing insane vertical lift.

To provide an example using the springs you mentioned earlier, leaving water is approximately a 3x multiplier. Hence, a yellow spring is about 400 x 3 = 1200 underwater. Coming down on an enemy from say, 1000 units above the ground will give you about 1000 units of vertical force, multiplied by 3 by the surface of the water will provide 3000 units of vertical momentum. This is why the JCZ1 Crawla bounce is so dramatic.

This is a quirk of the game's engine, and is exceptionally non-intuitive. There is absolutely no way that such a thing would ever work in real life, and it's just a contrived result of how SRB2's physics work.

Okay, this IS a bit of an issue (and part of the reason why I use firstperson all the time.), but with enough practice, you can nail it. Took me a few tries, but I managed in the end. I really don't see what's so difficult about it.
Personally I don't like encouraging the player to do anything that they can't even see going on. Even worse, the massive downward momentum that happens in such cases can actually break the collision detection, causing you to go through the Crawla and landing on the ground below, unspinning on the ground and then taking damage because you're now standing inside a Crawla.

Crawla bouncing, like many other advanced and cute techniques in all sorts of games, is a quirk of the game engine and not really an intended result of the game physics at all. You may see it as a natural extension of the game's mechanics, and it essentially is, but figuring out how it works isn't something we expect the ordinary player to do. Remember that we aim this game at most skill levels, including people who have never played classic Sonic before and wouldn't know how the water physics work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back