Arid Canyon Zone Act 1 Sonics Emblem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, SSNTails, They're not that difficult to find.

Also, the only emblem that I had problems, was with the emblem of time attack.

I'll be honest with you, I'm disappointed when I hear so many people saying that they got this emblem via Super Sonic...I thought the location was pretty unique and challenging (isn't that the whole point?). It's a tad obscure, sure - you'll need to have an eye for nooks and crannies, and you'll have to have the whirlwind shield on hand - but given enough time for exploration, you'll eventually stumble across it. What's great about the location is that it isn't just a case of "Oh, I see the emblem, I can get it". It's more like "Ok, there's the emblem, now I need to figure out HOW to get there, while not falling".

If my memory serves me correct, the original location for Sonic's emblem was going to be where the emerald token was, right around the polyobject tram. I could be wrong, though.

Last edited:
it may be challenging, but that doesn't mean it has to be "Mystic Realm hard". (See Jade Coast act 1 Sonic Emblem, or harder still, Verdant Forest act 1 Sonic's emblem.)

I'm not really sure what you're getting at there, and I really don't think it matters.

I just don't want people to be able to see an emblem and grab it instantly. It's supposed to be difficult to get, not just difficult to find.

Last edited:
At least you didn't have to Badnik bounce like in Jade Coast act 1 for Sonic's emblem.

Edit: What I was getting at was how hard it is to get to the ACZ Sonic emblem compaired to the JCZ Sonic emblem or the VFZ Sonic emblem from Mystic Realm. (The Mystic Realm ones are harder to get to though)

Last edited:
A little platforming prowess may be required for the ACZ1 emblem, sure, but that isn't a bad thing. It keeps things interesting, and it promotes exploration.

At least you didn't have to Badnik bounce like in Jade Coast act 1 for Sonic's emblem.

If I had it my way, every emblem'd be like that.

(By the way, that emblem is seriously not THAT difficult.)

For those who still haven't found the location and would benefit from a diagram out of a WAD editor, I present to you: The recommended path for Sonic's ACZ1 Emblem. Start from the top of the image and work your way down.

Fun Fact: That's the original image that was used when the emblem location was first proposed. If you look really carefully, you can see some discrepancies between this shot and ACZ1's final layout.

Last edited:
犬夜叉;659103 said:
By the way, that emblem is seriously not THAT difficult.

^ This. It's not difficult at all. I mean, isn't Crawla Bouncing a pretty basic technique?

There was a video on Youtube, but it has apparently been removed. If you can't figure it out even with the description on the wiki, you will have to search for it yourself, I guess.

If I recall, that was maybe mine, they had lag issues, and I figure I should redo the whole thing.

^ This. It's not difficult at all. I mean, isn't Crawla Bouncing a pretty basic technique?
No. It is most definitely NOT a basic technique.

In order to get to the JVZ1 Sonic emblem, you need to:

A. Know that bouncing on things gains you altitude somewhat.
B. Know how the water physics in SRB2 work, allowing you to get the assist upwards (which is NOT a particularly intuitive quirk in the game's physics)
C. Have the skill to actually LAND on Crawlas at that speed, often faster than the camera will let you see below you.

It is, quite simply, beyond reasonable to expect a player to figure such an emblem out. Quite a few of Mystic Realm's emblems are basically "GameFAQs moments", a design so obscure or otherwise unintuitive that the player really has no hope of figuring it out on their own, and would need to consult a guide or another player to figure out how to get there. Basically every player was told or shown how to get to JVZ1's emblem. That's not the way things are supposed to happen in video games.

You will not see ANY required usage of Crawla bouncing for secrets in SRB2 proper. If it makes it easier for you, that's fine, and I encourage the usage of such tactics on speedruns or other times where it gives you a benefit. We're not taking it out, it's a fun quirk of Sonic's physics that allows you to do some hilariously awesome things. It's just not something we expect the player to know.

It was never intended that you could reach it as Sonic to begin with. A while ago we claimed there was some kind of secret to obtain if you could do that, thinking it was impossible to actually do. We were kinda proven wrong.

I know, it's still a secret that requires monitor bouncing, even if unintentional.

I also like how you guys tried to make it impossible in 2.0 and it didn't work.

Actually, I didn't change it to break monitor bouncing. I changed it to fix another issue.

It's not a secret that requires monitor bouncing, either. You can go in there easily as Tails or Knuckles with no issue, and that's what is intended for you to do. Sure, you can indeed get in there as Sonic, but if you're clever enough to figure out a way to get in there, I fully encourage this action. We're going to design things with a specific thing in mind, and we kinda expect you to try all sorts of things, including stuff we could never have foreseen, to accomplish the goal. A few of our emblem locations were actually created when one of the devs did a "I wonder if I can get in there as X", found out it was possible, and we then intentionally designed it to have a secret there.

So yeah, we totally didn't think you could get to the Armageddon Shield in GFZ2 as Sonic. The fact that you can is totally awesome, though.

It's fine that this tread helped so many people!
Maby anybody can make a video on youtube?
I haven't HyperCam or an youtube user.

Last edited:
A. Know that bouncing on things gains you altitude somewhat.

Don't all the Sonic games, hell, don't the MARIO tell you that?

B. Know how the water physics in SRB2 work, allowing you to get the assist upwards (which is NOT a particularly intuitive quirk in the game's physics).

Bounce off spring underwater = Higher altitude
Bounce off enemy = Slightly higher altitude
Bounce off underwater enemy = Even higher altitude

Seems pretty obvious to me.

C. Have the skill to actually LAND on Crawlas at that speed, often faster than the camera will let you see below you.

Okay, this IS a bit of an issue (and part of the reason why I use firstperson all the time.), but with enough practice, you can nail it. Took me a few tries, but I managed in the end. I really don't see what's so difficult about it.

It doesn't matter if the average player knows about monitor bouncing, or flying higher when jumping out of water. It's about making it easy for newbies to get all emblems, while giving some challenge for pros at the same time.

You could eventually figure out that bouncing off of crawlas and monitors makes you go higher, but newbies still won't get the idea that they're supposed to use it to get somewhere higher. That's the reason why people were baffled by JVZ1's emblem. Even I knew about crawla bouncing for ages, but still had no idea that you were supposed to use that trick in order to get that specific emblem. I was still looking for a set of springs or something similar to get up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back