• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

About the next contest... (Jan/Feb 09, not the current one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuriousFox

AKA FuriousFox
Some of us in #srb2fun were discussing ways that we could make the Level Design Contest more interesting. I've noticed alot of people want to use custom textures and objects in their levels, but can't due to how difficult it would be for me to sort out everyone's custom stuff in a way that none of it interferes with anyone else's map.

So, I got to thinking that maybe we could make a resource package before the next contest, and I could allow all textures and objects in that package to be used in the multiplayer division. I know I'm probably going to have alot of free time come Xmas time, so it shouldn't be too hard for me to throw everything together for the January/February 2009 contest. And if I don't feel like doing it, I could probably dump it off on someone in #srb2fun.

So basically, this topic is for discussing whether you think this would be a good idea or not. You may also contribute textures, flats, and SOC'd objects that you would like to donate to the mappers for the January/February 2009 contest. Just make sure that none of them overwrite existing objects in SRB2. I'll include the ones I like.

Also note: By posting your textures and objects in this topic, they will be public domain, and therefore usable by anyone who wants to use them. The purpose of doing this is to provide mappers more resources to use in their maps, and hopefully provide a more refreshing experience for everyone. We all like new content, so lets try something different.

To get things started, I'll be including the grey brick textures used in Gloom Metropolis Zone.

GMZ1.PNG
GMZ2.PNG

Kaysakado said:
As long as the resource pacakge is only cosmetic stuff, and no SOCs, I'm fine.
Well, I want to have SOCs too, as long as they do not interfere with existing objects. Basically, they can only add to what is already there; they cannot change what already exists.

Personally I was thinking about modifying my old Spinner Turret to make flame jets. They'd be awesome for a fire-themed level.

The old SRB2 Asset Package, with no documentation for the SOCs inside. I forget what was in there, so you might have to poke around a bit. It did have some pretty textures and animated ones, though.

NICE! I hope there'll be some good textures available. I don't need this in the foreseeable future, but having that sort of thing around could come in handy.

FuriousFox said:
Kaysakado said:
As long as the resource pacakge is only cosmetic stuff, and no SOCs, I'm fine.
Well, I want to have SOCs too, as long as they do not interfere with existing objects. Basically, they can only add to what is already there; they cannot change what already exists.

Personally I was thinking about modifying my old Spinner Turret to make flame jets. They'd be awesome for a fire-themed level.
OK, but no over-the-top SOCs, just basic hazards like the flamethrower you mentioned, and maybe some springs. In addition, people should be able to find out what map number their map is beforehand, so they can make scripts.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
(including the secret one)
**** YEAH [objext in question censored so as to preserve secretness]!

But get a better pic of it. On google images, search for the object the texture depicts, and choose the second row's third image.

This is an awesome idea, though I somewhat hoped that the asset package would have became something this big. I'm gonna compare Bionicel's version of the asset pack and see what stuff I have around that I didn't manage to get in there for V1. I'll edit in some links...

Floatorb: http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net/395floatorb.soc (Thanks to mikesword221 for reuploading this to the FFH so I could get to it, the version I had on my hard drive was slightly unstable.

Be back once I manage to split some stuff into its soc components. =D

EDIT: Apparently I submitted all the other socs that sprang to mind to the Asset pack, so they're in there.
As a saving throw, I submit the mario themed textures within:
http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g13/Warpshade/Textures for SRB2/
The other, not mario themed ones are in the asset pack, apart from that linedef grass (LONGRASS.PNG), so you can use that too.

Yuo shold expand on it warpshade and use different stable versions. like one that shoots you out of a cannon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back