2.2.11 Hosting

Banjo268

Certified Bonified Idiot
Ok, so 2.2.11 is out right? So I took that chance to port forward and do everything correctly. But the issue is that when my server is up, no one could find it. But to make it worse, the "listserv" command showed that my server WAS THERE. No one could join thorugh the IP, so I'm kinda doomed. Can someone fix this issue please? I really just wanna play online with my friends.

Ok, so 2.2.11 is out right? So I took that chance to port forward and do everything correctly. But the issue is that when my server is up, no one could find it. But to make it worse, the "listserv" command showed that my server WAS THERE. No one could join thorugh the IP, so I'm kinda doomed. Can someone fix this issue please? I really just wanna play online with my friends.
Which IP were you giving them?

Port forwarding always needs your internal IPv4 Address where you should get that; by launching command prompt and insert ipconfig, looting for "IPv4 Address" at the valid internet adapter. This IP Address is needed for port forwarding and has no good if you hand it to internet people

Yeah, I already did the whole port fowarding sheband. I tried to make the server public and it wouldn't show up. Even when giving the IP address the game had given me through the "listserv" command, I gave it to my friend and it didnt work. And to make sure I wasnt crazy, I put an IP from another server there into the IPV4 slot and it worked. So its for than just the actual port fowarding I've done. All I need to is have the server actually allow people to join

Yeah, I already did the whole port fowarding sheband. I tried to make the server public and it wouldn't show up. Even when giving the IP address the game had given me through the "listserv" command, I gave it to my friend and it didnt work. And to make sure I wasnt crazy, I put an IP from another server there into the IPV4 slot and it worked. So its for than just the actual port fowarding I've done. All I need to is have the server actually allow people to join
There is a difference between connecting to a server and hosting your own server. You don't seem to experience issues with the master server. You hadn't set up port forwarding or firewall exceptions correctly; follow the instructions here.

There is a difference between connecting to a server and hosting your own server. You don't seem to experience issues with the master server. You hadn't set up port forwarding or firewall exceptions correctly; follow the instructions here.
Ok, my firewall exceptions is already listed. And I followed that guided to the T, trust me. The issue is that no one can join, even when the MS has registered it along with having the IP to join it. So idk what to do here

Ok, my firewall exceptions is already listed. And I followed that guided to the T, trust me. The issue is that no one can join, even when the MS has registered it along with having the IP to join it. So idk what to do here
From your description of your issues, even without using the master server you would still have issues hosting. Perhaps you didn't allow SRB2 in Windows Firewall? Perhaps your computer's IP address in your LAN was changed? I can't help more than these suggestions I guess…

From your description of your issues, even without using the master server you would still have issues hosting. Perhaps you didn't allow SRB2 in Windows Firewall? Perhaps your computer's IP address in your LAN was changed? I can't help more than these suggestions I guess…
*sigh*. I'll check on those today, and if it doesnt work, I give up

"Master Server Registration Successful" just means the game is able to contact the Master Server. It means nothing in this context. The instructions in the guide posted are confusing and often not useful to newcomers, no offense to James. I get the impression the guide was written for people more familiar with this sort of thing.

Put up your server, check this page (https://www.jameds.org/SRB2/port/) and then please post a screenshot of what you see.

"Master Server Registration Successful" just means the game is able to contact the Master Server. It means nothing in this context. The instructions in the guide posted are confusing and often not useful to newcomers, no offense to James. I get the impression the guide was written for people more familiar with this sort of thing.

Put up your server, check this page (https://www.jameds.org/SRB2/port/) and then please post a screenshot of what you see.
Well, my server was up and I put in my IP with the port 5029, and it said port 5029 is unreachable. But I know I port forwarded on my pc, I know I did. Just for some reason I can't get the port to open...

Well, my server was up and I put in my IP with the port 5029, and it said port 5029 is unreachable. But I know I port forwarded on my pc, I know I did. Just for some reason I can't get the port to open...
What error did the Port Checker give? It lists more information right below that. A screenshot would be helpful.

What error did the Port Checker give? It lists more information right below that. A screenshot would be helpful.
I quote, "Reason: Connection timeout (Resource temporarily unavailable)". So I'm not sure if its like this for other ppl but thats how it always been with me, regardless if I even had a server up

I quote, "Reason: Connection timeout (Resource temporarily unavailable)". So I'm not sure if its like this for other ppl but thats how it always been with me, regardless if I even had a server up
it gives this error if the server is offline, so check your port forwarding stuff, MAKE SURE IT'S ON THE ROUTER AND BOTH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL PORTS ARE 5029 and it may work using your public ip you get on jameds

it gives this error if the server is offline, so check your port forwarding stuff, MAKE SURE IT'S ON THE ROUTER AND BOTH INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL PORTS ARE 5029 and it may work using your public ip you get on jameds
My issue was the fact that the server WAS online and running when I checked, for some reason the port checker never registered it and idk why
Post automatically merged:

As I type this, its live, but the checker says its unreachable, with the same exact reason as before. I have no idea why this is happening. The only thing I can think of is that the bast host port I put was 5029. Maybe that has to do with something?

Last edited:
My issue was the fact that the server WAS online and running when I checked, for some reason the port checker never registered it and idk why

As I type this, its live, but the checker says its unreachable, with the same exact reason as before. I have no idea why this is happening. The only thing I can think of is that the bast host port I put was 5029. Maybe that has to do with something?
also either UDP or TCP/UDP (in this case both) is the one you should be using

Please post a screenshot of your portforwarding config. There might be something wrong with it even if you followed the guide.

Please post a screenshot of your portforwarding config. There might be something wrong with it even if you followed the guide.
Alright, alright. Here are not one, but two photos.
The first one is how I have it set up on my PC rn
The second is what the checker looks like for me, regardless if the server is online or offline

Attachments

• Services - Google Chrome 5_29_2023 9_52_19 PM.png
    Services - Google Chrome 5_29_2023 9_52_19 PM.png
    16.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Services - Google Chrome 5_29_2023 9_53_10 PM.png
    Services - Google Chrome 5_29_2023 9_53_10 PM.png
    186.8 KB · Views: 80
Alright, alright. Here are not one, but two photos.
The first one is how I have it set up on my PC rn
The second is what the checker looks like for me, regardless if the server is online or offline
What is the IP you used for your portforwarding conifg? Was it the same one from the Port Checker? If so, that’s not correct.

Hiding your IP in these screenshots is pointless if you intend to host. When you host, your IP is displayed for the world to see on the Server Browser. If you don’t want people to know your IP, you should not be attempting to host a public server.

What is the IP you used for your portforwarding conifg? Was it the same one from the Port Checker? If so, that’s not correct.

Hiding your IP in these screenshots is pointless if you intend to host. When you host, your IP is displayed for the world to see on the Server Browser. If you don’t want people to know your IP, you should not be attempting to host a public server.
Ok, I see your point with hiding my IP. as for the portforwarding config, AT&T is different from other vids Ive seen on this topic, so the only thing I winged was the base host port. As for the IP, it doesnt ask for a local IP, which is why this is different than other cases. The only IP Ive used was the local IP shown in the photo below. And, no, the IP in the photo wasnt asked anytime in my process

Attachments

• 2.2.11 Hosting _ SRB2 Message Board - Google Chrome 5_30_2023 11_48_34 AM.png
    2.2.11 Hosting _ SRB2 Message Board - Google Chrome 5_30_2023 11_48_34 AM.png
    209.4 KB · Views: 76
It's fine that the public ip isn't required, because there's one for each network I believe. What's not so good is that it didn't ask for a local IP, which is weird because there is not really any other way for it to know which device is hosting the server.
Now for the possible solution. NOBODY seems to tell you this anymore, but for certain ISPs, there is a setting within that whole admin panel thing called "DMZ" which basically allows you to let one local IP host servers on the internet, and with it off, they can't do that at all. If you don't see that at all or it still doesn't work, here's another thing that could solve your problem. If you're using at least Windows 10 I think, check in windows firewall if SRB2 can communicate on private networks. If it doesn't, switch it so that it does. Then go into the Wifi settings, then whatever network you're using, and if your network is set to a "Public" network, switch it to "Private".

Ok, I see your point with hiding my IP. as for the portforwarding config, AT&T is different from other vids Ive seen on this topic, so the only thing I winged was the base host port. As for the IP, it doesnt ask for a local IP, which is why this is different than other cases. The only IP Ive used was the local IP shown in the photo below. And, no, the IP in the photo wasnt asked anytime in my process
That's not a local ip. That's a public IP. Sorry if that was a typo.

Quick update. Probably don't use DMZ. It's the only thing that worked for me, and I wasn't completely sure what it was, but after looking it up further it seems to be very insecure. Don't use it.

Just use ngrok or something. (Actually don't, ngrok doesn't support UDP)

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back