2.1: It's happening! Release details!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You prefer static quills that constantly hang down in every frame rather than what's canon/accurate and actually adds a bit more variation to his sprites. Unless you don't like static quills either, I'm still convinced, because there's no option besides the two. This is like saying you dislike how Knuckles looks altogether considering that was based off of the many games where his dreads actually make friends with gravity, not to mention he's looked like that running and gliding before.

I actually much prefer the way Chuckles did it and don't mind it at all. It's not even as bad as the way KTE did it, he did it pretty well here.

Even then, it's a small thing to sweat over one person's opinion. It's in 2.1 now and people will forget this ever happened after a week or two.

Last edited:
You prefer static quills that constantly hang down in every frame rather than what's canon/accurate and actually adds a bit more variation to his sprites. Unless you don't like static quills either, I'm still convinced, because there's no option besides the two. This is like saying you dislike how Knuckles looks altogether considering that was based off of the many games where his dreads actually make friends with gravity, not to mention he's looked like that running and gliding before.

I actually much prefer the way Chuckles did it and don't mind it at all. It's not even as bad as the way KTE did it, he did it pretty well here.

Even then, it's a small thing to sweat over one person's opinion. It's in 2.1 now and people will forget this ever happened after a week or two.

The problem with Chuckles' running and gliding quills is that they're too spread out horizontally, which looks awkward in my opinion. The SRB2Riders sprites, for example, still have non-static quills that get blown back during running and gliding, but they're arranged around his head in a less visually jarring way. I definitely prefer Chuckles' quill animations to 2.0 Knuckles', but I do still think Chuckles isn't as well animated as he could be.

mtp76g.gif

The problem with Chuckles' running and gliding quills is that they're too spread out horizontally, which looks awkward in my opinion. The SRB2Riders sprites, for example, still have non-static quills that get blown back during running and gliding, but they're arranged around his head in a less visually jarring way. I definitely prefer Chuckles' quill animations to 2.0 Knuckles', but I do still think Chuckles isn't as well animated as he could be.
Why is it worth complaining over an echidna's sprite? Chuckles is the perfect version of Knuckles for 2.1. Also, why are we complaining about a Gliding echidna's sprites? He's fictional, it doesn't matter if his animations are weird. He anthropomorphic, he sides with a blue hedgehog that can run really really fast, and a fox that has 2 tails and can fly. I want this reply to end this argument over Chuckles' and Knuckles' sprite animations. It's no reason to change or argue about, he WILL be in 2.1, and you're just criticizing the artist that made him. Also, if you don't like the sprites, Make them yourself!

Well this thread took a turn for the interesting. Time to brush up on my NiGHTs' skills for the Special Stages.

You prefer static quills that constantly hang down in every frame rather than what's canon/accurate and actually adds a bit more variation to his sprites.

Yes.

Ideally, they wouldn't be static either, but I prefer the static look to the way Chuckles does it, because the moving quills draws attention to the flaws much more than the static quills do. 742mph explained it well.

Also, why are we complaining about a Gliding echidna's sprites? He's fictional, it doesn't matter if his animations are weird. He anthropomorphic, he sides with a blue hedgehog that can run really really fast, and a fox that has 2 tails and can fly.

I... have no idea what this argument is supposed to be. "It doesn't matter if the stage is ugly with clashing textures, because it's fictional!" "It doesn't matter if this stage is badly designed with an unfair difficulty spike, because it's a game—it's not real!"

and you're just criticizing the artist that made him.

Ugh, how are you jumping to this conclusion? How am I criticizing the artist? MotorRoach is great! Even Chuckles is mostly great, it's just two animations I don't like.

I didn't want this to be turned into an argument either...

I think Unknownlight's problem is he just doesn't like seeing the back of Knuckles' skull as opposed to the back of his quills.

Ideally, they wouldn't be static either, but I prefer the static look to the way Chuckles does it, because the moving quills draws attention to the flaws much more than the static quills do. 742mph explained it well.

That's the worst way to possibly get something to look good. Just because it might look pleasant to the eye, doesn't means it's appropriate or even logical. It's just like saying that Tails' tails should stay static because it shows flaws when moving, instead of wanting to go for something more dynamic and logical for the character, not to mention it's lazy and dull. By the way, you never pointed out what the flaws were, you have just been talking through the topic that you didn't like seeing the back of his head. I'm not surprised that this turned out to be the case, because you could never see the back of Knuckles' head that much in classic games, so of course this would be a first, and it's something you would need to get used to. But making his dreads static is the worst option possible, and I don't intend to change it just because you think it's better.

Why is it worth complaining over an echidna's sprite? Chuckles is the perfect version of Knuckles for 2.1. Also, why are we complaining about a Gliding echidna's sprites? He's fictional, it doesn't matter if his animations are weird. He anthropomorphic, he sides with a blue hedgehog that can run really really fast, and a fox that has 2 tails and can fly. I want this reply to end this argument over Chuckles' and Knuckles' sprite animations. It's no reason to change or argue about, he WILL be in 2.1, and you're just criticizing the artist that made him. Also, if you don't like the sprites, Make them yourself!

Summing up your post, you are just saying "IT DOESN'T HAVE TO MAKE SENSE BECAUSE IT'S FICTIONAL", and kinda being rude in general. If you wanted to end an argument, that's the worst way to do it, and it wouldn't work either.

On the other hand, what has been said in here about Chuckles was barely criticism. All that I have read in here was mostly related to "I don't like seeing the back of Knuckles' head" or "Chuckles is bad because SRB2 Riders Knuckles did it right". Whoever said things like this is basically just giving out opinions, and is not constructive at all. There wasn't any explaining on why it's exactly bad to see the back of Knuckles' head, there wasn't any explaining why the dreads should be changed, everyone with that in mind just said it should be changed. The final version of the back of his head are honestly the finest I could get, and I'm happy with it, the back of the head while running being based on Knuckles Chaotix reference, and the back gliding being made to replicate what his side sprite on Sonic & Knuckles is (with a big help from Jeck_Jims). It looks good and it looks accurate to how it should be, that's enough for me. If anybody has any decent criticism on how it can be improved and made better, I'm all ears and willing to change it if your criticism is decent. If not, do us all a favor, stop being persistent about it, and please, get back on discussing about the upcoming 2.1 release.

By the way, you never pointed out what the flaws were, you have just been talking through the topic that you didn't like seeing the back of his head.

My apologies. That's because I've been speaking from memory, since I don't actually have the wad installed.

Looking at it carefully, the thing that makes the running animation look awkward to me is the narrow, kind of rounded triangular shape of Knuckles's head. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, I just don't find it aesthetically pleasing, and it doesn't look like Knuckles from the main games either.

This is great. That's what I'm thinking of. Not the actual running animation, but the head shape and quill movement. I personally like this. I'm not sure if you do, but it's what I like.

I took a look at the running animation as you've mentioned, and you were right, his head did look a little triangular for two frames, and I tried to edit that out. It was just necessary to edit two frames to get that changed. I couldn't replicate the same movement as Chaotix, but this is still the closest I got to fixing it.

id90mq.gif

2prbvgp.png
6o0k1d.png

I'd like to hear what people think of this animation edit. If people like how it looks, I'm pretty sure it will be something quick to replace just two sprites on the 2.1 Knuckles.

Originally posted by UnknownLight
This is great. That's what I'm thinking of. Not the actual running animation, but the head shape and quill movement. I personally like this. I'm not sure if you do, but it's what I like.

Yeah... that's how the Knuckles from SRB2Riders runs. As said earlier, that Knuckles is the happy medium knuckles. It is a better Knuckles, but it still has it's similiarities with the 2.0 Knuckles.

2.1 delayed for Lua HUD implementation. :U

...And now we start again with delays. I was hoping that they would tell us something like "Almost all of SRB2 2.1's bugs have been fixed" or even "Some bugs haven't been fixed yet." But once again we have to wait MORE.

Building hype just to discovered 2.1 is delayed ._.

Iceman404 is just having a laugh, Zero. =P Hud editing for Lua is already moreorless done.

Brown the dog: Do you mean as in the AZERTY keyboard layout? Nothing's been done about that as far as I'm aware sorry.

Last edited:
I took a look at the running animation as you've mentioned, and you were right, his head did look a little triangular for two frames, and I tried to edit that out. It was just necessary to edit two frames to get that changed. I couldn't replicate the same movement as Chaotix, but this is still the closest I got to fixing it.

id90mq.gif

2prbvgp.png
6o0k1d.png

I'd like to hear what people think of this animation edit. If people like how it looks, I'm pretty sure it will be something quick to replace just two sprites on the 2.1 Knuckles.

I vote for changing the animation, as this is probably about as good as it's going to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back