1.09.3 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
this may a little bump but im having a little problem with this, it runs perfectly but when i load it up, it say's, a wad was not found or valid, also, no music comes out so that must be the wad

i was oringinnaly going to wait for the final release but since alot of people was switching to this version i decided to try it out.

For some reason the picture quality comes out bad and fuzzy....
and when i try to join a netgame, my game freezes.
A little help please?

i still waiting untill version 1.09.4 is out. the 0.000.1 Version haven´t so much new that i will burnned on a disc so i hope 1.09.4 i somming on the end of 10.06 or X-mas ^^".

W.A.

Shadow said:
I'll play the later srb2 versions again once black is put back in.
Then enjoy 1.09.2 for eternity. Black won't be put back in.

I really don't understand the complaints on this one. We did that to fix a serious issue that many people were complaining about, for good reason. If you want a black character WAD, simply color him black in the WAD and make another part of him change color. You want to play as black in Starlit Warehouse, and you can go take your cheap idiocy somewhere else, because I for one am tired of not being able to see my target against the starry sky.

I just want to point something funny out.

Mystic said:
No, the next version will be 1.09.3.8, then 1.09.3.9, then 1.09.3.10, etc. until we're done and release 1.09.4. Version numbers are not decimal numbers, and simply going beyond 9 is just going to result in 10. Real numbers don't have 3 decimal points, after all. They're four seperate numbers, seperated by decimal points to make it easier to type, not to imply a relationship between each number. Each number is more and more specific. For instance, the 1 means it's the first major attempt to make the game, and hasn't been rewritten from scratch. The 7 means that it's the seventh revision of the 1.09.3 release. 1.09.3.42 would be the forty-second revision of the 1.09.3 beta (Hopefully we won't get anywhere close to that many).

Well, we're close now. Does that mean the world is going to end now? =P *shot*

Shadow said:

Just use another colour, there's only 15 others to choose from. After black was taken out, I just used gold.

Almost any of the colours could be used as camoflage (SP?) in a map, like beige in airborne temple. Ever tried shooting a grey Knuckles in thunder citadel? :P

Mystic said:
Shadow said:
Then enjoy 1.09.2 for eternity. Black won't be put back in.

I really don't understand the complaints on this one. We did that to fix a serious issue that many people were complaining about, for good reason. If you want a black character WAD, simply color him black in the WAD and make another part of him change color. You want to play as black in Starlit Warehouse, and you can go take your cheap idiocy somewhere else, because I for one am tired of not being able to see my target against the starry sky.

The problem is that people probably want to play as something similar to Shadow in "professional" games. I have a solution in mind that could work half-way, though...

I was actually going to put this in suggestions, but I may link to this post. Why not add more restrictive optins in netgames? I mean, restrict people from using certain colors, characters (UNLIKE Forceskin, would restrict, say, one skin, like BANSKIN ZIM, and BANCOLOR BLACK). Also, maybe restrict certain control schemes (like, maybe no mouselook *killed*). Or even certain techniques (BANMOVE THOK for circuit races).

I still go with my idea of adding in "forcecolor". Just like Tets said, to have that option be a secret option, that only you guys know.

Dark Warrior said:
The problem is that people probably want to play as something similar to Shadow in "professional" games. I have a solution in mind that could work half-way, though...

I was actually going to put this in suggestions, but I may link to this post. Why not add more restrictive optins in netgames? I mean, restrict people from using certain colors, characters (UNLIKE Forceskin, would restrict, say, one skin, like BANSKIN ZIM, and BANCOLOR BLACK). Also, maybe restrict certain control schemes (like, maybe no mouselook *killed*). Or even certain techniques (BANMOVE THOK for circuit races).
Simply have an option for removing certain colors was actually considered first as our solution. It's not that black is the only abusive color, anyhow.

The thing is, however, that we do not want to have to set a billion settings just to play a normal game. The game should default to the optimal play settings. Also, the only REAL loss of this, black character skins, such as Shadow, can simply be recolored to fix it. Finally, simply removing a color is also a LOT less work than a feature to ban certain colors from the game. The more elegant, simple solution wins out, and people are just going to have to accept it.

Our objective here is to provide the most fun game we possibly can. This means fixing issues that disrupt the game balance or allow for abusive tactics. When everyone in a netgame is playing as the same color to gain an unfair advantage, that's not fun for anyone. Being forced to choose your color based on what works the best in the stage is also not fun. What if I don't like to use black? I shouldn't have to use it to gain an unfair advantage. Personally, I think the loss of one of the more popular colors is a small price to pay to repair the game balance, which I will note, is my #1 priority in multiplayer affairs.

Simply removing black because you couldn't see another player is stupid. Anyone could abuse just about any of the colors in SRB2. Taking out one of them won't fix the problem, unless of course the problem was simply a personal problem instead of one other players complained about. If you really don't want a player to use a color in a certain level, tell them so at the beggining of the level. If you must, kick them if they do not comply.

ViralZero said:
Simply removing black because you couldn't see another player is stupid. Anyone could abuse just about any of the colors in SRB2. Taking out one of them won't fix the problem, unless of course the problem was simply a personal problem instead of one other players complained about. If you really don't want a player to use a color in a certain level, tell them so at the beggining of the level. If you must, kick them if they do not comply.
No, taking out one of them won't fix the problem, however, it will fix the most SEVERE problem. There's no way to REALLY fix it, short of making all the colors fullbright or something, but black is particularly bad because of the way it blends into ANY dark area.

I guess you could call it a personal problem. I remove all exploits I find myself using. I found myself switching colors to abuse the trick. When I find myself doing something like that, I ask myself whether or not this is a mechanic that is bad for the game, or would actually be beneficial. Should intentionally changing colors to make it hard to see you be a gameplay mechanic? As far as I'm concerned, the answer to that is "no". Yeah, it's possible to abuse other colors. Silver can be a slight issue in levels with THZWAL01, but it's nowhere near as flagrant as black against any light level below 140.

Many other exploits have been found and been rid of in a similar manner. This one just happens to be something that people are obviously going to notice, while things like disabling GR_FOV in netplay just aren't particularly noticable to the user.

How about ONLY banning black for multiplayer?
>.>
<.<
Well atleast they won't be needed to be shot, and all the enemies in 1player
can see in the dark...

Why do you all want black so much?

The only reason I recommended my solution was because it was a general thought and idea for SRB2, that only happened to have a solution for the black issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back