1.08 Bug Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you, the fun police? J/K What was wrong with shooting monitors and multi=thoking?

I liked shooting monitors, I have better aim with rings than I do with my thok :P.

Yeah. Anyway, let's get back on topic, before Mystic comes back. :P.

It's fine when you're playing in single player. However, the instant multiple people are involved, fair and balanced becomes an important issue.

The ability to shoot monitors with rings for pickup was removed to allow level designers the ability to place monitors in places that are mildly hard to get to. Otherwise, you could just shoot the monitor from halfway across the stage for a pickup. By requiring people to actually hit the monitor, it forces players into areas of a map that might be rather dangerous, by way of environmental hazard or by way of high amounts of player traffic.

The multi-thok was removed because it was downright broken and we all knew it. The reason it stayed around so long was because it was so damn fun to use. Basically, it warped deathmatch into a Sonic game because the multi-thok made Sonic unstoppable. Hell, Sonic is STILL the best player in DM under most circumstances without it. That says volumes to the power of the original move.

Remember, though, for each of these moves that is taken away, more moves that are more balanced are added. 1.09 contains a lot of minor nerfs for things, but it also includes a bunch of new stuff the player can do that WON'T warp multiplayer around its incredible power. The objective is to create a game that's at least mostly balanced, so things that are so absurdly powerful that it's necessary to win are going to be removed, and that's pretty much the bottom line. It just comes with progress that blantantly overpowered (and fun) things are going to get the axe.

Crap, it IS offtopic x_x.

Umm...
Uhhh...!!!!
*tries to think of a bug*
Uh. Homing rings crash :X

I don't know if this is a bug or is OK, but well... When you stands on a secret sector, you lose energy (like lose rings or the shield, or die) in multiplayer mode... Why? Can you remove that?

..what's the point of marking a sector as 'secret'? That isn't an SRB2 feature.

AJ wins the internets.

Also, it makes the game display a "YOU HAVE FOUND A SECRET AREA" string, and I'm too lazy to use SOCs, so it's quite the timesaver for me >.>

In 1.09 you can display any message you want at the top with a script.

From Mystic Realm 4:
echo "Welcome to Mystic Realm v.4.0 by Ben Geyer (Mystic)."
echo "Visit the website at http://mystic.sepwich.com/mrealm/"

It displays those words when you load up Jade Coast 1, simply to make it obvious which version # it is and where to find updates if someone forgot the URL. Any message at all can be displayed, including the messages for the Mystic Temples and a few other secrets.

Much less limiting than "You found a secret area."

No SOC required.

I'm sure, but first some explanation on how to actually start scripting would be nice. IIRC it was just a list of console commands, so that much is easy enough, but some information on how to call them in your level, or what lumpname they must be called (if they're even supposed to be in a WAD) would be nice.

No, I KNOW the console commands, actually... it's that I'm not sure how I'm supposed to invoke a script in a level (linedef executor, I assume?), or what to call the script. Which is what I said.

You mean... Activate the script if you step into a sector, as apposed to it starting as soon as you enter the level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back