The Kart Circuit Construction Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a reminder to everyone interested in entering, the deadline for this thing is one week from today. Make sure your map makes it in before then!

Just asking again,since i live in France,and the France have a different timezone (And even,i lost 1 hour the 25th,AKA when it will be 2.00am,it will be 3.00am instead,for those who dont know,and this is only in France,IIRC)),what time will it be at 7.00PM in France?Because im not really sure about that...

Last edited:
Just asking again,since i live in France,and the France have a different timezone (And even,i lost 1 hour the 25th,AKA when it will be 2.00am,it will be 3.00am instead,for those who dont know,and this is only in France,IIRC)),what time will it be at 7.00PM in France?Because im not really sure about that...
1 A.M. on April 1st is your deadline.

Okay,thanks!

Will submit something soon... :P
[EDIT]April 1st? I hope its not a lie... Lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've submitted my entry, though I may edit it some more before the deadline. For now though, what I have done should suffice.

Submitted,if you didn't get my mail through,tell me.My entry will not win,my entry will not win,my entry will not win...

BTW,the subject is accidently: k. Yeah,its wierd but yeah.

Edit:Whoops,forgot to say that you will need the map command to access the map.

Last edited:
I made my map for this and then read the first post and found out about custom textures not being allowed. Slightly annoying but at least I'll be able to test it more now.

I made my map for this and then read the first post and found out about custom textures not being allowed. Slightly annoying but at least I'll be able to test it more now.

Unfortunately the deadline for the March contest just passed a few minutes ago, but you're welcome to enter it for April.

I will get the wads as well as voting guidelines up when I get back from work.

With that said, let's begin the voting!

The maps featured are:

• Darkvile Gardens by Simsmagic
  • Big Blue II by ah2190
  • Rainbow Route by roy
  • Evergreen Loop by I'll Begin
  • Shy Guy Circuit by Sp47
  • Canyon Rush by Mr Chezz
  • Rainbow Road by kyllian1212

Voting procedures are identical to the OLDC rules. Here's a refresher just in case, though:

1. Vote using a 0-10 rating system with no decimals and 5 being average.
  2. You cannot vote on your own map, but if you vote on every other map then the lowest vote on your map will be dropped.
  3. You must vote on every map if your votes are to be counted.
  4. Comments are optional, but are recommended.
  5. If your vote is radically different from the general consensus, you may be asked to explain your reasoning.
  6. You are required to play each map online with other people for your vote to count.
Votes are due on April 14th, 2012 at 7:00 PM EDT. Votes after this deadline will not be counted.

With that out of the way, here are the links!
Download Maps
Download Music

---------- Post added 04-01-2012 at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was 03-31-2012 at 11:23 PM ----------

Due to mistakes found in online play, unfortunately, the following maps have been disqualified:

• Big Blue II by ah2190
  • Rainbow Route by roy
Thanks and have fun with the rest of today's maps!

Last edited:
Darkvile Gardens by Simsmagic - 7/10
Got a sigsegv() first time i played it, but the second play was fine. I was ready to criticise the simplicity of the layout, but it turned out to be its greatest asset. It's not overbearing, it's simple, fun and well thought-out. A good time-trial map.

Big Blue II by ah2190 - 6/10
I have nothing for and against this one really. It's fine. That one shortcut is completely pointless, but it doesn't really diminish the map quality in any way.

Rainbow Route by roy - 4/10
Roy, I love you and all, but this map just wasn't all that fun. I was turning right the entire time and had very few opportunities to drift because the corners were too short or too shallow. It focuses too much on a gimmick and less on a layout.

Evergreen Loop by I'll Begin - wtf/10
All I can say is that I wish I got around to putting more detail into it as I was trying to go for an alpine forest/town theme (think the Grindelwald track from Gran Turismo 2), but the trees alone take up a chunk of rendering time so it's clear my ideas would have been too much for poor little SRB2 to handle. Sorry for the sloppy graphical bugs.

Shy Guy Circuit by Sp47 - 6/10
I can totally see this in an actual Mario Kart game. My main suggestion is to round out the slopes so they're not sheer 45 degree rises and drops. All you need to do is move some linedefs around.

Canyon Rush by Mr Chezz - 9/10
Simply awesome. <3 the layout. <3 the gimmicks. <3 Arid Canyon. You've clearly put a lot of thought into this and I seriously want to see this put into SRB2Kart's rotation. The music is LOUD though. What's wrong with the regular Arid Canyon music?

My only ACTUAL complaints are that it's a bit long considering the entire map looks largely the same, so probably add some more landmarks here and then. Additionally, that the falling-block trap needs more than just a tiny warning sign to inform you that it's dangerous (I also don't see how this is practical in a multiplayer situation)

Rainbow Road by kyllian1212 - 2/10
First half of the first lap I was like MAN THIS IS AWESOME but it went downhill when the paths branched.

For starters, a lot of the corners are really cramped and you have to drive with pinpoint accuracy to get anywhere quickly. I can't even get onto that shortcut even with a Mushroom. What the hell am I supposed to do?

Secondly, the second half just feels improvised. The cross-intersection is cramped, unnecessary and confusing. Why do you need it when you have all this 3D space to work with. It's just absolutely dreadful, and it's way too easy to fall off because it has two sudden changes of angle out of nowhere, not to mention the spring will make you go careening off the map unless you're familiar with the layout.

In addition, the visuals are bland, the corners are cramped, as is the entire track really, and the lack of walls make it too easy to fall off the track.

I would advise against designing a track based on SNES Rainbow Road because it's possibly the worst Mario Kart track I have ever played. Likewise this is the only track I didn't enjoy myself in. I'm sorry.

In short: Make the map more forgiving to beginners, redesign the second half, take more advantage of 3D space and add more walls here and there.

Last edited:
Darkville Gardens by Simsmagic - 7/10
The level felt mostly monotonous. But other than that it was fairly fun, with it's own shortcuts that aren't too bad on game-play. It had an overall neat curve it and it was pretty fun! It feels like it's missing some razz to it though, and it felt repetitive too. Nice music though!

Big Blue II by ah2190 - 3/10
Even though my computer lagged like heck for some reason through it (I'm using OpenGL here) That won't change the score. But what will is the overall design of it. I see "Big Blue II" as if it's an F-Zero port, then it's not like an F-Zero port! I sort of got confused there. The level design is a little interesting, but it also felt repetitive like Darkville Gardens. It felt kinda like a level with some turns and some boosters, and that's pretty much it. The water elemt doesn't feel F-Zero style. I'm not sure, it just fdoesn't feel, well.. right. It played nicely though. For a while.. until the water hit. But it didn't feel anything different, it just didn't stand out. It felt.. bland.

Rainbow Route by roy - 4/10
The visuals were very, very nice indeed. But unfortunately, that's the only way it's going to get points from me. I found the play through it to be bland. It felt like one big circle with transcribing scenery, like walking through a pop-up story book over and over again. I know you made it Kirby-themed, I haven't seen one of those for a long while. Sadly enough, it's got node errors from the teleports, and not to mention someone could cheaply leave an object at the teleport exit. Additionally, there was deathpit in the starry area which you could clip onto. I tried to cut a corner like I normally would, only to instantly die because i clipped the deathpit. It was a nice attempt, just saying!

Evergreen Loop - 5/10
This level had a surprisingly good feel to it, as well as lots of ways to go through the level. It felt very open though (i doubt anyone would get hit by a banana or box here) And the ramp to the overpass can still be used by hopping at the edge of it. Other than that, I'm sure the other flaws I've already told you about on IRC. It's ok, don't give up! ^^

Shy Guy Circuit - 8/10
I am so happy you fixed that turn, man. I almost raged on it. (Yeah, I remember it) I already gave you lots of comments on the level already, I'm fairly sure. IT feels like a good classic Mario Kart level, and I liked it. It felt brilliant in design. And it also gives other characters a chance to shine (Lololol like when I beat you with Robohood)

Canyon Rush by Mr Chezz - 9/10
Is this going to be the 4th track of a circuit? It sure feels like it! Not to mention the music really puts a lot into you while you're racing. IT adds to the nice Western Duel racing style play that arises here. There's so many terrifying moves you can pull off on other racers that it's quite insane. It also gives the leader kart a chance to keep ahead of other racers. It has a deep design and detail that's not too CPU-hoggish, yet displays a terrific scene before you. This is a clear out winner for me, and would of course deserve to be NOT HIT BY A BLUE SHELL. (Or kitchen sink)

I'm really sorry that I have to do this. This was a very, very good attempt at makign a rainbow road. I saw what it was trying to accomplish too! I think you made a good effort, but in the end it suffers a wide array of flaws. First off, I was surprised to see the entire level didn't have any railings (Hard mode, anyone?) Some of the turns were severely hard to manoeuvre (I can't imagine how Metal Sonic would make it.) And the checkpoint activators could be cheated by hitting them while below the track. This means someone could cut a corner and finish under the track. Additionally, the second half of the track, as I'll Begin said, seems thrown together. Especially that shortcut that tried to emulate GBA Rainbow road. It was a pain to get to, mushroom or not. And then the hop over the road to the end felt unnecessary. You could just drive over the previous track and not give a worry. IT feels mostly thrown together. But it still had those elements I'd imagine a Rainbow Road to feel like. Keep trying!

Overall Contest pack score - 6/10
It was fairly fun, some interesting levels here and there and it played through rather smoothly! I liked this KCCC. Thanks for letting me play ICeman404 and Sp47!

Due to mistakes found in online play, unfortunately, the following maps have been disqualified:

• Big Blue II by ah2190
  • Rainbow Route by roy
Thanks and have fun with the rest of today's maps!

For those who don't get the joke, read only the bold letters.

EDIT: Played these maps in a 3-player netgame and there are actually major mistakes in 2 maps and they should be disqualified due to node related problems:

• Rainbow Route - teleporters work only once for nodes 2 and up,
  • Rainbow Road - the shroompad+spring combo after the third checkpoint also works only once for nodes 2 and up forcing the player to use a speed boosting item to make that jump.

Last edited:
Rainbow Route is officially disqualified due to being impossible to complete if there are too many players. You are no longer required to vote on it, but I still recommend that you do so for statistics sake and so the author can receive feedback.

Rainbow Road, on the other hand is still completable despite the error, therefore it is still eligible.

Not going to go too deep in discussion about these

+Tough turns make this course enjoyable.
+All players are interacting throughout the entire race due to size
+Path choices aren't imbalanced
-Like your previous map, it becomes clusterfuck right at the start
-traps need different textures to be easily noticed (pits)
-Limit item boxes to 1 in between each checkpoint to balance out items-per-place

Big Blue II by ah2190 - 4/10
+Somewhat interesting course design
+Forcing drifting to slow down at extremely tight turns is a good idea
-Combining ice with slow drift is a bad idea
-Terrible Frame-rate
-Coin lines are far too long, and allow 1st place to gain ridiculous leads
-Having friction on the edges of the course when there is a wall is a stupid idea

Rainbow Route by roy - 0/10
It's broken, I haven't even really played the whole thing.

Evergreen Loop by I'll Begin - 4/10
+Tough but forgivable turns
+Decent player interaction
-Slopes look really jarring
-Fairly ugly

Shy Guy Circuit by Sp47 - 5/10
+Basic layout works for any number of players
+Water straight up kills you, keeping time off the track to a minimum
-The "Slopes" are really jarring
-Nothing interesting to see in this course

Canyon Rush by Mr Chezz - 6/10
+Feels exactly like Arid canyon Zone if it were remade into a kart level
+Complex Layout
+Great amount of detail
+Gimmicks that don't distract from the main race
-Player interaction after the first few seconds is almost absolute zero
-The course cannot support the length, each part feels like the same

+Multiple paths in certain areas
-No railings and small roads
-checkpoints in strange areas
-Dash pad and spring area does not always work
-Ugly

Darkville Gardens by Simsmagic - 8/10
The map has a quite simplistic route but it works quite well with more than 3 players because of the items. It also looks like the route was well thought about, as you also need to consider whether an item like a red shell will hot a player before they turn. However it felt like I was mostly doing the same thing for most of the track making it a bit repetitive.

Big Blue II by ah2190 - 4/10
There was quite a lot of lag for most of the track sometimes making it difficult in some turns for me. This felt very repetitive as well because there was mostly just straights, wide turns and the turns with ice on (Which slow you down for some reason). I also managed to miss the diagonal blue springs a few times making me fall into the water so you should add some to the sides as well. Other then that it played fine but was a bit average to me.

Rainbow Route by roy - 5/10 (Disqualified)
As has already been stated there's the problem with the teleporters where you should use a continuous linedef executor rather than an each time one. But other than that the track is very average, there are no difficult turns and it's almost one big loop. To make it better you should try adding more difficult turns and other things to break it up a bit.

Evergreen Loop by I'll Begin - 7/10
I thought this was a very good track with plenty of turns and no repetitiveness. However it felt a bit long and easy with the wide paths and I think that there should probably be some more rows of item boxes to increase the challenge slightly when in a netgame with a few players. There are also 3 walls with missing textures which I saw which are by the tree just before the bridge and underneath the bridge when looking back the way you came.

Shy Guy Circuit by Sp47 - 7/10
The track looks a lot like it could be an actual mario kart track like I'll begin said. It plays perfectly fine and there are enough turns to keep it interesting but there isn't much to make it stand out so it looks a bit plain. Also you need to make the stair sectors less steep so shells don't get deflected/break when they hit them.

Canyon Rush by Mr Chezz/Blitz-T - 9/10
Probably the best map here to me, it stands out from the other maps in that it looks and plays like it could be in a sonic kart racer rather than a Mario kart game which only helps it stand out more to me. The path has plenty of turns and gimmicks such as the oil to keep you on your toes, while also sporting a short-cut for a boost item and a feather shield, although it's unlikely a feather shield will get that far with randomised shield items on. Furthermore you use the crumbling platforms to give the player in 1st a better chance at keeping their lead with the crumbling platforms which is difficult in other courses due to the amount of shells that get fired at you. The only problems I see are that where the paths split in the cave the lower route is slightly slower than the higher route without the booster which is too far to the left, and the track is slightly too long to stay interesting with the end being a bit empty.

This track unfortunately isn't too good in my opinion. After the first booster into the springs I ran into a few problems with the track, mainly that it was very uninteresting and some of the turns were very tight making it difficult to stay on the track. The short-cut seems very odd to get to I can manage to get there sometimes with a drift boost, but other times I can't and just fall into the bottomless pit. There is also the problem with the booster not working a 2nd time before the springs for some nodes, which I assume also happens on the short-cut( which has the same fix as for rainbow route I assume) which means that you need to fall under the stage to hit the checkpoint and respawn to continue the race which is a race breaking bug if you're not node 0 or 1.

Darkvile Gardens - n/a
Sunshine Castle is Real 2012

Big Blue II - 4/10
Solid for the most part, but it looks pretty terrible and the ice on the corners in the latter half of the map are murder, the underwater areas don't bring much to the table either.

Rainbow Route - 5/10
Ignoring the crippling teleport bug (ATTN MAP DESIGNERS: EACH TIME IS BROKEN. USE CONTINUOUS INSTEAD), it's an alright map. It looks fairly generic in most parts except the candy constellation track though, and the design is likewise.

Evergreen Loop - 6/10
Nice track design, but everything suffers from an enormous lack of polish due to the artpass that you neglected to do. I really wish that you could have taken the time to pretty this map up, it could have easily been an 8.

Shy Guy Circuit - 7/10
Pretty much everything is well designed in this level and there isn't much to critique, except for possibly the uninteresting theme and the tunnel that I didn't realize was a tunnel until I hit the ramp threw me off the first time I played it.

Canyon Rush - 8/10
Very well done. I thoroughly enjoyed playing the level from start to finish. My only real criticism is that, even at 2 laps, the map still tends to drag on for quite some time.

Rainbow Road - 2/10
You had a good thing going there at the beginning. It looked nice, it played sorta like how a rainbow road should, and it looked decent enough. However, as the race continued, the map started to fall apart. Mushroom boosters failed to work on the last lap for most players, requiring a mushroom to jump the gap, and attempting shortcuts caused you to come up short more often then not. This map is, unfortunately, not really optimized for SRB2 Kart's environment.

Not much to say on this one. Plays well, and looks decent.

Big Blue II by ah2190 - 3/10
The underwater areas are ugly, and repetitive. It also felt kinda laggy.

Rainbow Route by roy - D/C
While a neat idea, the broken teleporters make this unplayable after the first lap.

Evergreen Loop by I'll Begin - 6/10
I quite liked this, however it looks incomplete due to the use of GFZROCK. There's also one part where it's very easy to run into a dead end. (The part that you later jump over)

Shy Guy Circuit by Sp47 - 7/10
Quite good, though like others I think the slopes need to be changed, and the tunnel made visible before you reach it. Otherwise this is a fine map.

Canyon Rush by Mr Chezz - 8/10
VERY nice. Only issue I have with this is the slightly boring and repetive scenery. Some parts also felt the same as earlier parts.

Rainbow Road by kyllian1212 - 3/10
Some of those turns are too sharp and thin, and the intersection was confusing the first few times I played. Also looked boring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back