New 2D Sonic game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" announced for 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
My land. It certaintly was ballsy of SEGA to slap big fat "REJECTED" stamps over its own proporties, even if the vast majority of such aren't widely admired. Basically, what they're saying is "Hey guys, this game is gonna be great! Look! No more of these lackluster retards! Ha ha ha!"

You know, they could've straightforwardly announced that Sonic is the only playable character in the game, which probably would've generated just as much buzz without SEGA (or at least SEGA's marketing department) coming off as a barrel of unprofessional monkeys.

But I'm probably making too big a deal out of this.

Oh well. Let's hope they don't pull a Werehog on us.

Last edited:
Is it me, or has SEGA finally done something awesome for the first time in ages? They have finally listened to some of us.
No, they've always listened. The thing is, it resulted in crap like the medal collecting in Unleashed (after complaints that the medals were useless in '06), Shadow getting his own game (self explanatory), and even the recent QTEs to an extent. That's not to say nothing good will come of this game, but the fandom here consists of absolute ******* hypocrites that still haven't learned to notice when they've been done a favour, regardless of whether or not any good does come of it.

I mean, Jesus Christ. Unleashed was a Sonic-only game, and it only just turned two years old. There's just no pleasing you people and your petty nitpicks.

EDIT: Late warning, but the link containts NSFW content.

Last edited:
I really hope that this turns out to be the Sonic 4 we have all been waiting for. :(

I wouldn't hope considering that 85% of "hope" was placed on Unleashed being a game that would "finally bring it back to it's roots" and what we got in return was a Hulkhog and a flying Chihuahua. Not that it was bad, but definitely not what we asked for. Just wait and see what pops out once enough content can be released...when it releases

No, they've always listened. The thing is, it resulted in crap like the medal collecting in Unleashed (after complaints that the medals were useless in '06), Shadow getting his own game (self explanatory), and even the recent QTEs to an extent. That's not to say nothing good will come of this game, but the fandom here consists of absolute ******* hypocrites that still haven't learned to notice when they've been done a favour, regardless of whether or not any good does come of it.

I mean, Jesus Christ. Unleashed was a Sonic-only game, and it only just turned two years old. There's just no pleasing you people and your petty nitpicks.

EDIT: Late warning, but the link containts NSFW content.

Uh not all the time they haven't. Some fans wanted the Sonic games today play like the classics, the speed & platforming and some just want classic characters in. But you also get the majority of the fanboys just requesting SEGA whatever they want to choose and they just chuck it in not only having no relevance to Sonic at all, but annoying the fans that want a good Sonic game which is relevant to the series. And I meant that as an decent "finally listening to us" =/ is there a time where you've had that? you tell me.

Unleashed Wii did not have to go through that to an extent. You just got them after beating a main level, boss, or side quest which I didn't mind that at all compared to the other versions. And it's actually a year and a quater old because it came out in November 2008 (well here in the UK it did) People are allowed to have an opinion on the game. If they like it, great, if they didn't, then they don't have to play it again. I thought it was going the right direction for the Sonic series despite a few flaws.

Not all ideas are bad if you can think of it through & execute them right. Yes, a few in the past have been screwed, but no one hardly gives them a chance. Unlike other people on here, I don't completely negatively judge a new gimmick or something I haven't seen before unless the annoying gimmick or feature has appeared in a previous title and it didn't work out going OMFG WEREHOG IT'Z GONNA SUCK. Ok it may of not been the best feature around,, but unless you've played it, you won't know what it is like.

That link I saw. Personally I think this is full of biased negativity, just using negativity & not balancing it with some good things. Although a few things stated I do agree to a certain extent, but I think the rest is a big ton of **** if you ask me.

Last edited:
Unleashed Wii didn't really listen to fans because it was limited. There were no hub worlds to travel in....

They do listen to fans, the majority of sonic fans want this and that.

Some fans wanted the Sonic games today play like the classics,
sonicadvance.jpg

642361boxart_160w.jpg

Sonic_Advance_3.jpg

the speed & platforming
250px-Sonic_Rush_box_Art.jpg

sonicadventurerushdsboxart_160w.jpg

Sonic_unleashed_boxart.jpg

and some just want classic characters in.
Oh for christ's sake, if I had to make a list for this one, I'd be including virtually every Sonic game since SA1.

But you also get the majority of the fanboys just requesting SEGA whatever they want to choose and they just chuck it in not only having no relevance to Sonic at all, but annoying the fans that want a good Sonic game which is relevant to the series.
That's part of the problem too - the fandom itself is hypocritical and can't come to a common wish on Sonic's part. Being the majority also doesn't necesarily mean being the smartest though, and more often than not it's just people parroting the words of others without even considering the implications behind them, even going as far as to lose the original meaning of the wish. A lot of people these days have been saying "Sonic only", and somehow it comes a surpise to them when only Sonic is actually featured, when many of them mean "only Sonic-esque gameplay" without caring to express the difference.

And I meant that as an decent "finally listening to us" =/ is there a time where you've had that? you tell me.
This isn't the first thing they've promised anything as such and failed to deliver spectacularly - again "back to roots" for Sonic '06 comes to mind. I'm just saying to curb your hype. They use pointless buzzwords like this all the time and almost never has it resulted in anything good. Come on, it's not as if you can blame a guy for being pessimistic in this day and age.

Not all ideas are bad if you can think of it through & execute them right. Yes, a few in the past have been screwed, but no one hardly gives them a chance.
If you're honestly going to say this isn't for good reason, you need to take a quick look through the history books. Believe me I had high hopes for Werehog too, but that didn't change the outcome at all now, did it?

Unleashed Wii didn't really listen to fans because it was limited. There were no hub worlds to travel in....
Unleashed Wii altogether was a butchered and dumbed-down port that existed only for the sake of preventing Ninty fanboys for shouting at Sonic Team for neglecting them. About the only advantage it had over the HD versions was making the Dark Gaia boss fight into something that wasn't a legendary mess of QTEs and bad design overall.

Ha ha ha!

I actually liked the Wii versions day stages a lot more then the 360s for some reason!
Bottomless pits and massive QTEs FTL?

Yeah, Dark Gaia was much better on the Wii version.

Yeah, Dark Gaia was much better on the Wii version.

Yes, much better. I also saw that the 360 Sonic area and the Wii Sonic area (not Super Sonic) in the Dark Gaia boss are quite alike, I see a lot of similaraties between the two stages in design, not just theme.

I agree with BlackLightning here. I can't remember who said it; but they said that SEGA only listen to a few of the fans that wish for these things that are 'crap'. Most of these people want these 'crap' things and the people who just completely fanboys of the originals and can't get over the fact that every company needs change and it's impossible to make a classic game in a 3D start complaining because they don't think it's like Sonic anymore. It's a blue hedgehog, running really fast, going through many different environments, getting through different puzzles and obstacles, and defeats the creator of the robots threatening the planet. Who cares about how the rings are disappearing differently, or about extra characters that take different gamplay style that still fit the Sonic style. Every character is created to fit a certain design and gimmick needed. They can't use the same characters and come up with something new from them. The closest they got to that was the Werehog. But everyone complained because he was a Werewolf; not because of gameplay, not because of originality, just becausde he's a Werewolf. Seriously, SEGA is making a good move, and they're just backtracking trying to go back to the classics. It's a good move if they try to average out the content from the classics and new inputs. But if they give in to everyone who's out there saying that the classics are the only good games, they won't get anywhere. And remember, these games are getting good reviews, most of them. They should listen to people who give their criticism fairly, not those who complain about the classics being better or those who say the company needs something new. They listen to people who treat it like a game that's come out now, not something that's been changed from something in the past or what may come of it in the future, a game that's out now and how well they're going with it.

If you're talking about online polls (like the one that led to Shadow the game), they're even worse than random street polling. That's because the people most likely to respond to such polls are those that hold abnormally strong opinions ("Shadow in his own game?!? Hell yes!!!"), so the results are sure to be different from actual majority opinion.

I'd also add to Blacklightning's points that excessively catering to fans leads to inconsistant gameplay between games (there's a world of difference in how Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, and Shadow the Hedgehog play, three games in the main series which were released one after the other) which further fragments the fanbase, which, in turn, makes increasingly diverse demands. Attempting to build a coherent videogame series on that premise is an impossible scenario.

Last edited:
That is why Sega hired a company to make a video with no content whatsoever.

I could see Sonic going back to his roots ATM...
119.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back