• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Heroes (slooowly progressing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speedylizzard14 said:
srb20029.png

Any particular reason the sky is red, and Arid Canyon's music is playing?

Because of this:

Download the most recent version of SHRes.wad

Espyo, could you PLEASE put all of these levels in a single WAD? That would be a lot more convenient.

Still getting the same red sky and Arid Canyon music.

Is there a specific ORDER I have to add them in, like with some wads?

It doesn't matter. You have to reload the level after adding it in.

I agree with what Luminous said. The level was incredibly bland, boring, and repetitive. There's no real order to the obstacles you find, and switching is just a giant waste of time. Really, I'd greatly prefer it if you made this mod Sonic-only instead of a level pack with an annoying character-switching mechanic.

I just came up with an Idea for the Flower Zoom Tube.

Have a tornado in the middle of a circle of flowers.
It will be much easier to under stand.

I played Lost Jungle and I had to admit it was quite bad. I think there should be more plants. It is a jungle after all. and maybe some vines you grab onto like CEZ's ones. and try to use the black frogs more often. You can have a place where certain floors imitate the stem of a flower. It's not possilble to jump/fly on it but the black frog can be used and make the platforms lower. Also, Lost Jungle DID have green frogs if I remember correctly. Try to have them in as well. Also, Tails and Knuckles have the homing attack whenever you try and switch to Sonic while flying/gliding as Tails or Knuckles. And I think Sonic should have a faster homing attack. It's as annoying as the homing attack in
STH360.

Last edited:
Really, you guys? I could swear that this level was really great...
I can't believe I'm heading back to the starting board. Well, let me try to answer all the questions.

Luminous:
I'd say you can't practically walk 5 seconds without the next ground changing height. Either by stairs or a different platform altogether.
Wide? In some parts some walls cover your left and right. I'd say I agree with you 50%.
About the textures, you and every one else is right. I just had to choose these levels didn't I... You see, the number of textures/complexity available for these levels is fairly low. The only reason it doesn't seem like it in Sonic Heroes is due to the fact that there are several textures, but only used once/twice. That'd be a waste of space.
What could I do to add further replay value? I think I did good (well, specially compared to my Frog Forest)
Many people complain about the fact that changing is boring, and you're complaining about the fact that you can take some time without changing out of Tails? That one I didn't get. And Sonic is needed to homing attack his way trough some enemies. Knuckles is mostly needed for breaking blocks. In these kind of levels, I fear that Tails may be a bit over used. But in closed levels such as Power Plant, that may not happen.
The boss battles need to stay. I mean come one, you really mind bopping robots? If you needed to stop from a huge run to make some counts or manipulate some sentences, ok, but destroying enemies to proceed isn't that big of a deal. But still, in the future, fights with 15 robots will be replaced with a single robot (that big one) most of the time, so it won't be as tedious.
The crashes are really starting to hit me hard. I'll see if I can do anything about most of them. But honestly, I don't think it crashes that often. By crashes you mean sigsegvs, right?

Speedylizzard14, and all those having trouble with textures and such:

• Make sure you downloaded the most recent version of SHRes.wad.
  • Use the SRB2 Launcher. Add the level's wad and SHRes.wad. It doesn't matter in which order. But if you add them in-game, things might get tricky.
fawfulfan:
In these times, we need to use this kind of method, because files/portions of the mod are released/updated every once in a while. Just imagine in a few months, you having to re-download a file that contains 5 levels all over again just for an update with the SOC. That wouldn't make sense. Don't worry. In the final version of SRB2Heroes, one won't have to download all files independently and add them all.

Kyasarin:
I wouldn't call it repetitive. Seriously.
Well, this is a Sonic Heroes mod. It would make absolutely no sense if it were Sonic alone. It really wouldn't.

Nomekop:
Well, those who played Frog Forest know how the flowers work. And in the final, Frog Forest comes before so...
But still, I didn't quite understand what you meant by tornado. Do you mean Sonic's move (that most likely won't be implemented)?

TornadoTW:
Yes, about the scenery with plants and such, that's something I forgot to tell to you all. I usually release the levels, and only after they are accepted, do I place some plants here, some distant platform there, a mushroom over here...
Soccing/programming such vines would be a bit painful. I did think of using the default chains from SRB2, as many suggested, though. But I found out that it would look really weird.
The frog lowering enough to make it trough idea doesn't sound bad.
My Lost Jungle does have green frogs! Twice, in fact. Once before reaching the enemy battle inside the corn thingy, and again where there are 2 pairs of frogs, one of each kind. You use them to lower and raise the platforms to proceed.
Tails and Knuckles' homing attack is a glitch I noticed, but I didn't find it important, because Sonic won't have this ability via script. He will be able to homing attack by editing the character himself. So about the character switching, it's all a tad confusing. No worries.
Sonic's homing attack speed is an SRB2 "issue", not mine. But at least now I know something to program into the final: faster homing attack. Although it's not that slow as it is...

That being said, I got to ask you guys, since the average is 2/5. Which do you prefer? My Lost Jungle, my Frog Forest or Sonic Heroes' Lost Jungle?

Off topic: Kyasarin and Luminous' avatars. Weird coincidence?

Last edited:
Luminous:
What could I do to add further replay value? I think I did good (well, specially compared to my Frog Forest)
Add more (and more interesting) paths and bonuses. Look at Mystic Realm and look at how it has so many things to explore, despite the fairly small size of some levels.
Many people complain about the fact that changing is boring, and you're complaining about the fact that you can take some time without changing out of Tails? That one I didn't get. And Sonic is needed to homing attack his way trough some enemies. Knuckles is mostly needed for breaking blocks. In these kind of levels, I fear that Tails may be a bit over used. But in closed levels such as Power Plant, that may not happen.
Considering the fact that Tails is very overpowered in SRB2, you'll have to lower his flight time so he isn't overpowered. Even though you made his flight shorter, spin-fly is still abusive.

I wouldn't call it repetitive. Seriously.
Well, this is a Sonic Heroes mod. It would make absolutely no sense if it were Sonic alone. It really wouldn't.

It is repetitive. It makes no sense to criticize your own work; it's hard to prevent bias against/for things, no matter how hard you try.
Also, the Sonic06 mod doesn't have any ideas from Sonic06 outside of level ideas. You could do the same thing, or have each character (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles) have their own levels.

The boss battles need to stay. I mean come one, you really mind bopping robots? If you needed to stop from a huge run to make some counts or manipulate some sentences, ok, but destroying enemies to proceed isn't that big of a deal. But still, in the future, fights with 15 robots will be replaced with a single robot (that big one) most of the time, so it won't be as tedious.
There simply isn't any reason to stop dead in your tracks and hunt a room for enemies. The AI is really poor, making boss fights a big waste of time.

Off topic: Kyasarin and Luminous' avatars. Weird coincidence?
We're twin brothers, and we're really big Advance Wars fans. I thought most people would know this, considering how it's what we talk about all the time on IRC.

Ok, I'll "study" Mystic Realm more. And for that matter, the official levels.
Tails won't be able to spin in the final version. Also, I'm afraid that lowering Tails' flight time even more would make him useless, or practically. He can closely fly the same height Tails can in Sonic Heroes. I will make him slower in the final, still.
I still don't think it's quite a good idea to make S T and K not be together at the same time. But hey, there is one thing troubling all of us, me included. One can only change characters when perfectly still. This really is annoying. I'll program it so one can change characters at any time while walking/running. And while I do that, I'll make a regular changing system. If the problem was really all about the time it takes to change, then good news. Because really, it doesn't take time to press a key.
Well, one thing that was thought to me on this community is that the key to SRB2 is flow, but every once in a while (little, preferably), one should vary things a little. This is reflected by the boss fights. And besides, either I do it on purpose or subconsciously, I always make a way around. An alternate path, most of the time. Above that corn dome is part of a path that won't lead to the boss fight. I know, I know... Making another path isn't a justification to the boss fights. I don't think it's quite like that. I mean, personally, I don't mind stopping every now and then, in any kind of game. Of course I love the flow, but if such things need to happen, fine by me. But for those who just can't bare to stop for a single second, I place an alternate path on purpose. I don't know how that doesn't justify.

I'm afraid I don't visit the IRC. I really should :/ Anyway, I knew there was some relation between you too.

Nomekop:
Well, those who played Frog Forest know how the flowers work. And in the final, Frog Forest comes before so...
But still, I didn't quite understand what you meant by tornado. Do you mean Sonic's move (that most likely won't be implemented)?

I ment like a tornado graphic, sort of like from LoZ Minish Cap on the cloud tops area.

How about using the Fan Particle thing?
Yeah, that would actually work, and it would fit.

I'm getting slow work (I blame school :3) so, this is going slow for me. I haven't really been working on it. I'll work faster now. (not rushed, but faster)

The Fan Particle Generator doesn't actually work. You need different things that can be found in ERZ2 to make them work apparently.

...You just contradicted yourself. You said it wont work, then say you need stuff TO make ti work. It's possible to make it work, just copy what ERZ2 did and tweak it. That's how I got the Crumbling Linedef Trigger on FOFs to work....Kinda.

...You just contradicted yourself. You said it wont work, then say you need stuff TO make ti work. It's possible to make it work, just copy what ERZ2 did and tweak it. That's how I got the Crumbling Linedef Trigger on FOFs to work....Kinda.

Sorry, I meant you need different things that are not the Fan Particle Generator. I don't think you can make it work.

Sorry, I meant you need different things that are not the Fan Particle Generator. I don't think you can make it work.

So? You can make it work. The Rock Spawner and Maces are the same way; Control sectors alter the way they act. You just gotta figure it out, studying ERZ2 and the other Control Sector based things to make it work.

Hey Espyo, what about the Team Dark boss? Are you going to SOC a Shadow, Rouge or Omega or use a normal Eggman boss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back