• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 Heroes (slooowly progressing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry Wolfy, Violo is already taking care of the music. No offense.
As for the sound effects... We... actually don't have any. But I'd recommend keeping it that way for now. On these times, we need to send wads constantly, and extra size isn't something we want. We can live with SRB2's sounds for now, but you can get Sonic Heroes sounds if you want. We'll add them in a far later section.

I forgot Polyobjects don't render floors... But... One could always try. Filio, try making a car pass by. If it looks really stupid, it'll be removed. If it doesn't look all that bad/important, it seems like a good gimmick.

Take your time, Eggmanfan.

Wall jump... Oh boy... Well, it may not really exist. I don't think it needs to. Sonic will already have spin, spindash, homing attack (charability 7), and speed. Not to mention that by default Sonic is already the most used. Well, at least with me, when I play Sonic Heroes, I use Sonic around 60% of the time.
If Sonic also has wall jump, he'd practically do everything.
Oh, and BTW it's Triangle Jump.

It's really great, if I can say so myself. But the only reason why I haven't posted screenshots is because I'll release it today. I just need to finish the third phase: finishing touches.
I still have some school work to do, but it's way less than expected. Don't worry, Lost Jungle will be available to you all today!
(So in a way... Can someone post after me so I don't have to repost?[/WTF])

Oh, right, I forgot to answer you. Sorry. Well, I sent you a wad that's ready. Everything worked ok with me. How are you doing? I made the wad so that you can start using the map inside it. You're probably copying the textures from the wad and placing them on a wad you already started. Don't. Use the map that's already in the wad I gave you, ok?

I am working on 3 levels at once so be patient. Also I am having trouble with textures they are wierd colors.

Last edited:
That's weird. There are no palette issues here. This is a silly question, but are you using SRB2 V2?

I think so and it seems some work but others don't. Then I open the map, set up a fof and I get 3 errors in a row.
edit I cant open the map now.

I really would like to see lost jungle before I go to bed (it's 11 here). Are there any special gimmicks like the black frog and rain that kills plants?

Timezones... I really think you can only see it tomorrow. I want to take at least an hour to check if every little thing is ok. After that, I may take 30 minutes uploading pictures and whatnot. And yes, there are gimmicks, and... Interesting ones. They aren't exactly good (like DOOD64 would rate them), but one thing's for sure: they are original. I actually surprised myself of what I could do with mere plant-killing rain.

And Werehog, those problems sure are weird. You were able to make other levels before, right? This may sound stupid, but try re-downloading my wad. And try not to touch it. You only need to open it with SRB2 Doom Builder (or your app of choice) and edit the map. Try not touching the wads, specially noting that XWE ruins everything.

Ok, Lost Jungle is here! And I must say that I'm really happy with what I made. You know the drill. Download the most recent version of SHRes.wad, download the map at the bottom of the first post, etc.

Some warnings: The game sigsegvs at rare occasions. There is a part where some... corn... lily pad... things lead to a small opening with an Armageddon Shield. While heading to the monitor, the game would sigsegv. But I fixed it. If you want to see the effect, noclip trough the thok barrier at the left of the platforms and walk a bit there.
Anyway, I saw another sigsegv before I sent it, but it doesn't seem easy to recreate.

This is the first time I used Sonic's homing attack in a level. You'll find it.

Wow. That was lousy.
First off, it's just too flat. You're running for the most part, not doing anything that engages the player or anything that's even fun.
There's just no obstacles. Just generic platform hopping, in those occasional cases you actually have to jump.
It's fairly wide, making things feel empty and bland.
The scenery is bad. The textures look very ugly, and the details you added to your level really look bad.
There's no reason to replay this. There's some multiple paths, but they're short-lived, and all the paths are so boring there's no incentives to follow another one. Same with bonuses.
Tails is ridiculously overpowered. There was not a single area I couldn't cross with Tails. Sonic serves no purpose whatsoever. Tails can go just as fast as he can. Knuckles is also useless, because Tails can just float over or around whatever he needs to work with.
Remove the enemy battles. They're lame. As Kyasarin said with Frog Forest, they just don't work in SRB2. I don't care if Sonic Heroes does it and you want to imitate it; your execution is poor, boring, and it's just a bunch of wasted time.
The level crashes. Alot. You know that, but there simply isn't an excuse for it crashing whenever I run a script, or whenever I simply walk a short distance, no matter the resolution I'm running the game in.

Overall, this level is very bland in terms of detail and gameplay. It's very boring, and it crashes all the time. It's ugly, and the gimmicks you inserted in here are boring time-wasters.
3/10

srb20029.png

Any particular reason the sky is red, and Arid Canyon's music is playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back