New & Old Horizons combo pack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Back to work!" -The Spy 2007-2014

Well, I finally decided to get back working on this, with the new "Moutain Side" zone.
Here is a screenshot of the start section, it's really unfinished and need more textures since having the same everywhere is gonna hurt the eyes.

Tough, I still need ideas for the name of the zone, and if you guys want particulars grimmick in there, fell free to tell me!

P.S: I am finally on holiday, so I can work pretty much everyday on New Horizons, and sorry for not giving any news of this mod since a long time. Also 2.1.11 broke Icefield Volcano 1, and a whole section with polyobject is making the game mad.

Idea

Well, I finally decided to get back working on this, with the new "Moutain Side" zone.
Here is a screenshot of the start section, it's really unfinished and need more textures since having the same everywhere is gonna hurt the eyes.

Tough, I still need ideas for the name of the zone, and if you guys want particulars grimmick in there, fell free to tell me!

P.S: I am finally on holiday, so I can work pretty much everyday on New Horizons, and sorry for not giving any news of this mod since a long time. Also 2.1.11 broke Icefield Volcano 1, and a whole section with polyobject is making the game mad.
How about "Mount-Slide Madness Zone"?

Last edited:

(Click on the image to see animated, was too big so I used another host)
Do I have to explain?
EDIT: Also the zone name is gonna change.

Last edited:
Welp, lacks decorations for the moment... But I actually love designing this new level, as I have tons of ideas for the moment!
(Giving the gif as attachement since TinyPic seems to be down for me :/)

Attachments

• srb20004.gif
    srb20004.gif
    6.5 MB · Views: 342
Sorry for triple post, but Icefield Volcano 3 is now avaiable under beta form. (Check main post)
The content can be loaded without NH 1.0 files.
Note that the level may be incomplete in some parts and may be glitchy some times.

IVZ1 is now fixed. I changed some poly-objects opaque. Seems like the translucent ones are not supported anymore. The obstacle won't crash the game anymore.

Who knew those mines were the place where Eggman decided to construct a factory?
What is it for? Discover in Mud Mines Zone 2.

znk507.png

EDIT: Well it took me 6 days to finally finish this zone, and I'm quite happy with what I've done. The level is a little dark in some areas in software, but you can still see platforms.

Last edited:
EDIT: 20/5/15
Fuck this shit!
Here's an update!

V 1.7.0 is now alive!
I am really, really sorry for the delay.
...Don't except anything too great too.

You could think the project has been rebooted, this is HALF true, I've been working on other projects since all of this time, even tough, I'm not sure about continuing this without Ors to help me around :/
The update was sitting in my folder since months, and was waiting some polish. So here it is!

Major changes includes...

*ICICLE INFERNO (previously known as IceField Volcano) ZONE 1 & 3
*HEAVEN ASCEND ZONE 1
*NEW BUFFGAUGE GRAPHICS (The ugly ones in the screenshot above, speaking of which, Mud Mines WAS NOT included because of how bad it is.)
*SEVERAL NEW BADNIKS
*NEW (first) SPECIAL STAGE
*ADDED EMBLEMS FOR ICICLE INFERNO ZONE 1 AND HEAVEN ASCEND ZONE 1

*Thinnier Changes

*Some unlockables changed their names
*Fixed Metal Sonic's charge sound to now be properly adapted with the charge time.
*Fixed GHZ's 2D part not triggering in the current SRB2 Version due to a change of the 2D triggering work.

*ISSUES

*Some SOCs errors when the file gets added. I'll be getting on this when I'll have the time
*Some HoM and SlimeTrails in several levels.
*Archives levels retained their errors, that made their charm. <3

Note that this is a beta update, I mean there's still a lot of missing content in there. Some emblems are missing, and will probably not be added until I find the time to do it.

I'll be slowly updating this, and fixing eventual game-breaking glitches you may found. Don't except a big update anytime soon tough, by soon I mean, not until several new months.

OP and attachement updated, move your ass up to them!

Something about this hallway seems to cause SRB2 to wig out and crash. Might want to look into that.
2hh3m6x.png

Actually, it seems to happen intermittently just around that indoor area.

edit: I turned devmode on and looked at the executors being run, turns out it might just be the ice block polyobjects causing the crash in software mode. It's otherwise fine in OpenGL as far as I know.
As for the level pack itself, I'm still playing through. But I like what I see so far. I'll probably update if I have anything insightful to add.

Last edited:
The polyobjects are confirmed to be the cause of the crash.
However, I don't know WHY.
I mean, I can spawn the player right next to them without any oddity happening, and this even in software
PROOF
ComposedLastingIndianrockpython.gif

But turning back to the first starpost and heading to the polyobjects crashes the game.

I have absolutely no clue about what is happening there (Why does it not happen in OGL??). And without Ors to fix his own bullshit, I think all I can do is remove them as I am an incompetant lazyass.

EDIT:
IVZ1 is now fixed. I changed some poly-objects opaque. Seems like the translucent ones are not supported anymore. The obstacle won't crash the game anymore.

Ors is a lie =P

Last edited:
The polyobject crash is an issue I found after 2.1.14's release involving a lack of value-checking involving a hack I used to make polyobject flats layer "correctly". It doesn't check to make sure the polyobject is rendering those flats to apply the check in the first place, though...

If anyone's interested in getting their hands dirty, builds based off the next branch on the Git server contain a fix for the crash.

While we're still talking about PolyObjects, I think I'd have to report the fact that they were acting really weird since 2.1.12 in that level and needed a fix.
JitteryOrneryArkshell.gif

(From New Horizons 1.3)
They were acting like in the previous gif in 2.1.11 and before.

-In Icicle Inferno 1, you should make it more apparent that the boss arena is actually a boss arena. What I mean by that is, you can make that room with the mega-crawla into a pit that you can't escape from until you kill all enemies in the immediate area. I figured it out relatively quickly, but it probably wouldn't be obvious unless you knew that that was what would drop the ice floor down to progress.

-Another thing I noticed is that there wasn't very much variation in the platforming. I know that Sonic is all about the running and the jumping, but you should consider mixing it up a little bit. Maybe use a few more of those nifty flamethrower enemies in different locations or on different types of platforms. Speaking of which...

-I saw a few good level ideas in this level and the next that were used once, dropped, and never touched upon again, and others which were used probably a bit too much, which is kind of a let down. Some good examples include the gravity water in Heaven Ascend, the horizontal ice cube thing and the special stage race. A bad example that comes to mind is the slippery ice threat that was an obstacle throughout the entire level somehow, which I can't say I was a fan of.

I'd like to see more of this sort of content though, I think you've got a pretty good start on this, and I'd like to see it improve.

Poly objects crash the game again in the latest SRB2 again? What kind of changes have devs done to them?
Edit: I'll try if it has something to do with that the poly objects go inside the walls (when I got my memory stick with SRB2 back soon)

Last edited:
Old Horizons + announcement.

31/5/15, UPDATE! OLD HORIZONS IS OUT!
Have you ever wondered how bad was New Horizons supposed to be?
Play through the early betas of the levels that were planned for the mod, but removed, such as Floral Cove's first version of its 2nd act that had to be restarted 3 times! You can get it now in the attachements of the main post.

The download is a separate file because of the HUD changes, and the fact that it would make the file way bigger.

-Floral Cove Zone 1, 2 and 3
-Icefield Volcano Zone (old)
-Crisis City Zone
-Stormy Shelter Zone

---

As a separate note, I can announce the removal of the Buff Gauge for the upcoming versions of the main New Horizons files.
I was planning something, tough I don't know if you would be interrested firstly:

-Firstly, I would just entierely get rid of Tails of Knuckles' playability for the level pack. Don't get mad at me, the interresting part is coming.

-I would -shamelessly- add Sylveon.

-Levels would be rebuilt in a way that Sonic and Sylveon have their OWN paths, using their abilities. Like Knux specific paths do, but for almost every level, if not just every.

-I also plan minibosses for each level, those being stronger versions of an in-level enemy.

I know adding Sylveon seems -from me- like I just want it there because I like it (Which is true, of course, I won't lie), but I think this would add some more diversity to the gameplay, having a really fast one and a slower one, both using the character's abiltiies (Sonic will probably have the Homing Attack.)

Suggestions? Or insta-scrap?

31/5/15, UPDATE! OLD HORIZONS IS OUT!
Have you ever wondered how bad was New Horizons supposed to be?
Play through the early betas of the levels that were planned for the mod, but removed, such as Floral Cove's first version of its 2nd act that had to be restarted 3 times! You can get it now in the attachements of the main post.

The download is a separate file because of the HUD changes, and the fact that it would make the file way bigger.

-Floral Cove Zone 1, 2 and 3
-Icefield Volcano Zone (old)
-Crisis City Zone
-Stormy Shelter Zone

---

As a separate note, I can announce the removal of the Buff Gauge for the upcoming versions of the main New Horizons files.
I was planning something, tough I don't know if you would be interrested firstly:

-Firstly, I would just entierely get rid of Tails of Knuckles' playability for the level pack. Don't get mad at me, the interresting part is coming.

-Levels would be rebuilt in a way that Sonic and Sylveon have their OWN paths, using their abilities. Like Knux specific paths do, but for almost every level, if not just every.

-I also plan minibosses for each level, those being stronger versions of an in-level enemy.

I know adding Sylveon seems -from me- like I just want it there because I like it (Which is true, of course, I won't lie), but I think this would add some more diversity to the gameplay, having a really fast one and a slower one, both using the character's abiltiies (Sonic will probably have the Homing Attack.)

I going to guess that one of those mini-bosses is going to be mine EMT Crawla! Huehuehhuehheuheuhe.

Don't you already have a level pack entirely devoted to Sylveon? Adding paths for him in New Horizons seems kind of redundant, and the removal of Tails and Knuckles would be a high price to pay for it. I suspect that Sylveon's HP system would clash with Sonic's ring loss system as well, since how long you could survive with Sonic would depend mostly on how good you were at chasing down your lost rings, whereas survival with Sylveon would just depend on how many times you got hit, making some shared areas and bosses drastically easier or harder depending on the character. Besides, if people really want to play as Sylveon in New Horizons, they can always just add his character WAD.

I'm totally in favor of removing the buff gauge, though. I always found it more confusing than useful.

Don't you already have a level pack entirely devoted to Sylveon? Adding paths for him in New Horizons seems kind of redundant, and the removal of Tails and Knuckles would be a high price to pay for it. I suspect that Sylveon's HP system would clash with Sonic's ring loss system as well, since how long you could survive with Sonic would depend mostly on how good you were at chasing down your lost rings, whereas survival with Sylveon would just depend on how many times you got hit, making some shared areas and bosses drastically easier or harder depending on the character. Besides, if people really want to play as Sylveon in New Horizons, they can always just add his character WAD.

I'm totally in favor of removing the buff gauge, though. I always found it more confusing than useful.

I totally agree with 742mph here. It'll save you a lot of trouble if you just stick with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

Alright. I preferred to ask to not screw everything up on my side.

Anyways, Ors started (Or rather will continue what he has already done in) HAZ2.
On my side I'm gonna remove the IIZ1 polyobjects to add a new section and improve the level in general, and then I'll get on finishing the 2nd act. Guess I'll give screenshots Wednesday as I won't be on my comp often for some personal issues.

Also... Taste the spoiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back