Movies you would Recommend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well...Avatar was pretty good. Visuals were amazing, but the plot was kind of generic. It had its moments, though.

Phan†øm;663381 said:
So I just watched the movie Alice in the wonderland and I actuatly really loved it. The end was unexpected to me. I suggest you to watch it. Really good 3d movie.

Moderator Notice:
Merged with Movie Thread

EDIT: I give this movie an A

Ahahahha! I myself had to go see it on opening day, and man was it worth it.

I can't say much about it. The Earth is of course Eighteen Century Europe where Alice Kingsley falls into the rabbit hole leading to Wonderland (Underland as the residents called it) which has fallen in the time that Alice has been away which she recalls and thinks of as a dream.

If you've never seen any of the concept art for the film, I've got these from one of the concept artists on deviantART.

http://imaginism.deviantart.com/

Pictures? I'll go for the ones that actually made me twitch a little.

Tweedles_Concept_Art_by_imaginism.jpg

Yeah.... Delightfully creepy.... Yes?

Alice_in_Wonderland_pt1_by_imaginism.jpg

Well.... The Bandersnatch really didn't scare me all that much, to be frank. HOWEVER... We are getting to some really good stuff... Real quick.

Smoke_by_imaginism.jpg

Inhuman eyes.

Cheshire_Cat_by_imaginism.jpg

I'll be blunt. Everything else was stuff I could stand. THIS however... is unsettling. This is the only one that I truly jumped back in terror at out of this entire series of pictures. It's just so... Disturbing and..... nightmare inducing. It was nicer in the film, to be honest.

But my final grade on the film?

Satisfies my expectations. Tim Burton as usual does genius work. However, if you're one of those people who gave up on Burton because of Planet of the Apes (completely understandable since that film was utter malarky) or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (which in my honest opinion is better than the original movi for being more faithful to the original source, in fact, so dedicated that Tim used material from the original manuscript that many fans of the original dismissed. That's right, that whole thing with Willy's childhood, being something of a kid in an adult's body, and reuniting with his father? That's all part of Roald Dahl's original intention and Tim did it beautifully) you might not like this. However, I suggest you'd give this a shot. There are plenty of times where things will jump in and catch you off guard. Speaking of things that will catch you off guard, this has to be one of the most graphic Disney films I have ever seen. I mean.. This film was hard core. You don't see blood very often in a Disney film let alone there being enough to fill an Olympian sized pool....

Just watch it. It's an awesome film. It's largely underrated though as shown by most reviews by the popular critics. At the moment the film has a 50-60% on Rotten Tomatoes, and all I sense is biased attitudes towards Tim using actors who love what they do best and play convincing roles. And they're getting upset for Tim being faithful to the Lewis Carol classic? Wow.... The pessimism is bothersome.

A++

Already the best film I've seen of this year......

Until Tron Legacy comes out. Why Tron? One, I can't think of any other good films this year aside from Toy Story 3 and probably How to Train Your Dragon and The Sorcerer's Apprentice . No, Iron Man 2.... It's honestly not that exciting. Whiplash isn't grabbing my attention as much as I'd hope he would.... Won't stop me from seeing it though.

----------------

EDIT: Other image of Ches. As well as another concept artist.

http://michaelkutsche.deviantart.com/

Alice___Cheshire_Cat_by_michaelkutsche.jpg

Mwahahahaha. I'm liking these of Ches. These are delciously nightmare inducing.

Last edited:
Actually, Twiddle-Dee and Twiddle-Dum's character designs are pretty darned odd, but the visible veins in their heads bump up the creep-e-meter to incredible levels.

I heard Alice in Wonderland reviews are around the 80% mark.
Some people are comparing it to the cartoon(Kind of unfair, this is a sequel to the book)

I heard Alice in Wonderland reviews are around the 80% mark.
Some people are comparing it to the cartoon(Kind of unfair, this is a sequel to the book)

Um.. sequel to the book? Well.. You could say that even though it's the plot of Through the Looking Glass (The Second Part of Carol's classic) with the Jabberwocky poem worked into it.

I went to see it with a friend. Honestly, it's not that bad. It's a weird, different take on the universe, but it's worth watching of you're bored and want to go to the theater to see something interesting.

Well... B when I posted.

This movie looks terrible! D:
Tim Burton's magic is going away. Time to ruin literary classics!

Fixed

Anyway I would agree that Tim Burton should take a break from making movies and spend his time on other things. If he later comes up with something that isn't an RE of a classic (in other words original) then we could see that special sauce again. But in my opinion, I would just say that it's only getting harder to make more original stuff that will please viewers.

Fixed

Anyway I would agree that Tim Burton should take a break from making movies and spend his time on other things. If he later comes up with something that isn't an RE of a classic (in other words original) then we could see that special sauce again. But in my opinion, I would just say that it's only getting harder to make more original stuff that will please viewers.

Ahem. May I interject?

Frankenweenie is coming back in Stop Motion form.

The original can be seen here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r34yz-xC4xQ

The Triplets of Belleville is a fine piece of work, earning an A-.

My mom rented that some years ago. It was amazing.
So full of details, charm and personality. I loved how almost all of the movie was completely silent, letting the animation do the talking. I absolutely adored it.

Also Avatar was good... The story was horribly generic, being a rehash of pocahontas and dance with wolves. From a technical standpoint, it is impressive-but it is nothing more than that- a display of technical prowess. Beats me why it won so many Oscars.

Beats me why it won so many Oscars.

The only Oscars it won were for its visuals effects and cinematography.

Hurt Locker (by Cameron's ex-wife, no less) beat Avatar out for the big Oscars, like Best Picture and Best Director.

Fixed

Actually, I think Burton has a pretty good strategy established. While he is doing more adaptations than ever before, that can only buy him more time to develop and perfect his own original ideas.

Tim Burton already has, by the way, toyed about with newer mediums. He has those obscure Stainboy flash cartoons. But something that is definitely overdue is a book of completely original poems and sketches of his, a la the Amphigorey books. It'd be fun for fun's sake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back