Project Natal

Status
Not open for further replies.

superflip96

Now loaded with Calcium!
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/projectnatal/

This is one of the few things to stir my interest from Microsoft's E3 Announcements.

I've herd rumors that this project has been secretly going on for years now, So I dont see any point in assuming this will be buggy.

But, This reminds me of... [spoiler:e94e877059]EYE TOY[/spoiler:e94e877059]

Not really, Eye Toy uses completely different technology, it senses motion and that's about it, this thing has actual body recognition (it knows what your arms are, and can even predict where your hands are if it can't see them, based on your arm locations), facial recognition, voice recognition...

It won E3.

I have to agree. Microsoft took the Eye Toy and 3-UPed it! Total E3 pwnage! I didn't even see a device that sensed the body movements, facial recognition, voice recognition, etc., so I don't know how it all works, but maybe that's the idea.

I'm really excited about the PS3 wand thing more. How do we know Natal will work in the end? It could be a sloppy mess in the end.

Enough of the negatives things. If this is successful I'll buy it.

Autosaver said:
I'm really excited about the PS3 wand thing more. How do we know Natal will work in the end? It could be a sloppy mess in the end.

Enough of the negatives things. If this is successful I'll buy it.

The wands looked like something you'd find in an adult shop, to be quite honest, and the whole idea of it will fail in anything other than a dimly lit/dark room, put it in a light room and I suspect the wand won't even register.

Alright I have a tiny tiny rant about this.
Do we really need it?
Do we need Project Natal to enjoy gaming?
Remember Wii Sports? I think I'll get the same reaction at the end.

It's not necessary for traditional gameplay.

However, I do really like the idea behind Natal. The presentation looks like something stripped right out of a Sci-Fi film, and it has no less impressed me in its real-time play.

I do believe Microsoft has tapped an unused source of inspiration with this. Not necessarily with gaming, but rather with communication and interaction with technology. This generation of game consoles has been about combining the video game console with the home entertainment system, and Microsoft is doing a very fine job of that, albeit lacking the competition's HD movie format.

Given last year's "avatar" announcement, I'll admit I didn't take this seriously until I actually bothered to look at the presentation... however my opinion still remains the same. Regardless of how innovative or how much potential it may have, I'm afraid that it will be hardly utilized effectively, as has been the case with most peripherals across all consoles... I would note that controls like we have on the Wii have been around before but they were in a couple games and then were forgotten.

I do hope SOMEBODY milks this out for all its worth... it sounds too promising a concept to be left by the wayside. However, can't say I entirely trust Microsoft to push technology as much as Sony or innovation as much as Nintendo, so time will tell. I just hope it doesn't end up being little more than a webcam addon to a First-person Shooter.
I also do hope that MS doesn't simply use it as part of their "me-too!" casual push. Because I actually thought this was what it was, I didn't even bother looking into it until I was force-fed the link in IRC.

And I do intend this statement to bear all due respect to Microsoft and fans of the Xbox... I've distanced myself from Microsoft after losing interest in them for quite some time, so I don't truly understand what is going on, nor the psychology or philosophy of its staff the way I might sympathize with Nintendo. Unnecessary disclaimers aside, had I actually bothered to watch the press conference, I might know where Microsoft (not the man behind Project Natal) intends to take the hardware.

I fail to see how it won't be utilized when they're already handing out SDKs to developers left right and centre, so that they'll have a load of stuff for release. It's as big as a new console announcement, they say...

Cue said:
I fail to see how it won't be utilized when they're already handing out SDKs to developers left right and centre, so that they'll have a load of stuff for release. It's as big as a new console announcement, they say...

It may be big at its release but it could die off after a year. Developers know people will buy Project Natal, so they are going to make games for it when it comes out. But if Natal fails to sell or no one buys there games you'll see an end to games using it...

This is the number 1 thing that caught my attention from E3. Microsoft just kicked Nintendo Wii out from interactive gaming and replaced it with Project NATAL!

Lightning said:
This is the number 1 thing that caught my attention from E3. Microsoft just kicked Nintendo Wii out from interactive gaming and replaced it with Project NATAL!

As cool as this peripheral is, there is no way this is pushing the Wii Remote completely under the water. The success of the Wii Remote is too firmly rooted into the seventh-gen console war that it's not going to suddenly die when Natal is released.

The Wii remote is actually very sensible because it provides something physical to work with. It also works for pointing, something Natal probably won't try to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back