Favorite Video Game Item of All Time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I love mods.

The Proxy mine of ChaosUT for the Unreal Tournament series comes a close second - not necessarily for being powerful (though they still hurt about as much as a rocket, which isn't something to scoff at), but for being absolutely freakin' hilarious. The picture should give a pretty clear indication of what to expect, but there's more to it than that. They actually have unexpectedly complex AI for what you'd expect from a jumping explosive - when not leaping around trying to blow other people's torsos off, they gather together in small groups and, I shit you not, have conversations with each other.

Yes, these mines can fucking talk. And it gets even more hilarious when they actually spot someone. Have you ever walked into a room blindly only to run into a large group of sentient explosives, to the tune of them squealing "oooOOOOOOoooh!" in unison? Yeah, didn't think so. Just hearing them babble such memorable lines as "See how they run? They fear us" in high-pitched voices cracks me up every time.

As far as vanilla UT goes, the Translocator gets an honorable mention. It pretty much invented the idea of a tool that throws a beacon you can teleport to at any time. The fact that you can kill someone by teleporting into them is a nice bonus.

The Garry's mod in-game tool window because you can control almost everything in the game with it, unless that doesn't count.

Then I would choose the tool gun from Garry's mod, because what is better than attaching balloons to the corpse of one of your friends after you viciously beat them to death with a crowbar?

21e9ds6.jpg

The BFG9000, Who DOESN'T like this thing?

I don't. Consumes too much ammo for my liking. Ammo that could be better spend Plasma Rifling people to death unless there's a HUGE fucking crowd of mooks to spontaneously combust.

Speaking of Doom, the Chainsaw is godly:

Okay, so it's a bit of a necrobump but since people loved it last time I did this I figured it wouldn't hurt to do it again. Long story short, I recently played my first few proper deathmatches in Doom, via 4-way splitscreen on the 360 version, and simply put I'm surprised at how much of a different experience it is to the singleplayer episodes. Where SP is more about conserving ammo, rationing health and armour and generally playing the sole survivor, multiplayer... well, it's not so much about who wins or loses, but how many hapless ******s you take down with you. It certaintly ain't perfect, what with repeated instances of rocket-launcher spawn camping, but I kinda miss multiplayer games that have this sort of intensity. Even the average Unreal Tournament doesn't really compare, and that's one of the most twitchy, fast paced games out there.

But erm, moving on. Forgot the name of the map we were playing on (I know it had a bezerker pack across an acid lake with one large disappearing platform), but that's a bit besides the point anyways. Most of the fighting went between rocket launchers, chainguns and the occasional plasma rifle, kind of the expected stuff at this point. I was in the lead at this point (thanks mostly to aformentioned RL camping), but by that point it was still anyone's game and I imagine anyone could've caught up given the circumstances. Unfortunately for everyone else, I found the chainsaw.

Now, anyone who remembers my previous bezerker melee fetish can probably already see vaugely where this is going, but this was a different case - whereas the Grav Hammer was more about jumping suicidally into a big crowd and taking a big chunk of them out with one swing, Doom's chainsaw was more about appearing suddenly from around a corner and RAAAAAAAAAHGDHAGSDHHAGKS scaring the crap out of them until their screen turns red and they can't see ****. It honestly came as a surprise how useful the bloody thing is in multiplayer, considering in SP it only really consistently works against Imps and Pinkies, and even then you still have to watch your flank.

So anyway, several minutes of Texas Chainsaw Massacre later, I was only one kill away from winning the match. The only two people I still knew the location of decided to call truce and were camping out in a dead end room filled with health and plenty of energy cells - and as luck would have it, both of them had Plasma Guns, and I'd already learned the hard way I wouldn't be able to get them in a straight gunfight. So I decided I'd go back to the psychological approach: "You know what, this isn't working", I said out aloud. "I'll be back in a minute. With a present."

Now let's pause for a moment and let that sink in for a bit, by looking from the camper's perspective. By the time it likely took you to catch on, I'll have probably ran to and from your traitor-friendly safe room, and you'd likely hear the iconic, familiar whirring of a nasty melee weapon on the other side of that door. Suddenly, the door springs open, and both of you unload into the opening. But nobody's there. All of a sudden, dead silence sinks in. All you can hear is the ringing in your ears as an aftereffect to the sound of gunfire. The tension's still there, and you strain further, ready for just about anything that comes through that door... or so you think. Slowly but surely, the ringing fades, and just softly you recognise the familiar whirring of the chainsaw just around the corneADADADADADADDAPEANUTBUTTERJELLYPICKLECUCUMBERSANDWICHES

You can probably imagine the terror that set in. They didn't even bother shooting - no, all they cared about at this point is escaping with their heads intact. One of them dashed madly past me just as I entered the room and managed to escape. That didn't bother me, all I needed was one. After chasing a black doomguy around in circles in the room for a few seconds, he made a break for the door, only to have it shut in his face. And this guy was ******* frantic - you could tell, because he was mashing the A button and accidentally opening and closing the door several times. Somehow he actually managed to get out, but not before taking a few nicks on the back with the chainsaw on the way out.

Now around this point is where the game stopped being a deathmatch and warped into some demented racing game. It was also the point that the room broke into absolute goddamned chaos - between the laughing and cheering of his buddies, the constant "ohgodohgodohgodohgod" of the black guy I was chasing, and of course my own deafening warcries of "RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN COOOOOOOOOWAAAAAAAAAAAARD", the chatter just broke into a complete cluster**** and the only real communication that existed anymore was limited to running, opening doors and chainsawing. We freakin' sprinted straight into the room opposite, which too was a dead end save for the fact that it was set up like a circle, and once again we ended up running goddamned laps of the room until he realized he wasn't getting anywhere and made for the door again, which once again had closed in his face. Through the chaos you could still here him muttering "comeoncomeoncomeonCOMEON" as the door slowly opened, despite me having not ceased in maniacal jibberish since this whole farce had started. Honestly, the way this thing was going I felt like I was playing a cross between a stereotypical horror movie and a Benny Hill sequence. Finally, the door opened and it looked as though he might actually get away this time. No such luck I'm afraid - chainsaw to the back, gore, screen melts away, endgame stats are displayed. Game. Over.

My god, you just had to be there. It was freaking epic.

One word. Groovitron.

Also, RYNO 4-Ever from R&C: Tools of Destruction. It's... it's... out of the RYNO series of weapons, it's the closest one I've seen to perfection (haven't played Crack in Time yet). It's like a cross between a shotgun and a minigun with semi-homing bullets. Nothing can stand against it (save the final boss, but he's a cheating bastard.).

The only changes it would need in my book is a slightly faster firing rate and replacement of the bullets with rockets.

Also all the Charge Combo weapons from Metroid Prime 1 and 2. Especially Metroid Prime 2.

I don't. Consumes too much ammo for my liking. Ammo that could be better spend Plasma Rifling people to death unless there's a HUGE fucking crowd of mooks to spontaneously combust.

Speaking of Doom, the Chainsaw is godly:<writing>

Write.
More.
I seriously enjoyed every single second of that. Imagining it and laughing from beginning to end. Moarmoarmoarmoarmoar. plz

As you wish.
So, I got to play a game of Firefight with my bro. Being the rustier of us two, naturally, I lagged behind at the start, and ended up trying to get most of my kills by camping near the medkits with the ever-omnipotent Automag and simply sticking Brutes when they got too close. But that was before I got my hands on the first Gravity Hammer. Initially I continued with a similar strategy, only clonking the bigger guys over the head when they poked their heads around the corner. But that was before the game decided to turn the Black Eye skull on.

For the uneducated here, Black Eye means that your stamina doesn't recharge like normal, and you have to melee kill to get your stamina back. Ordinarily this is a huge disadvantage and requires a fairly big change in playing style to adapt - but as some of the smarter ones here may have gathered, I was already holding a melee weapon that can one-shot all but the toughest enemies in the game. So instead of retreating back to cover for the next wave like any sane person would do, I suicidally ran straight for the enemy LZ the moment they were within grenade-toss range.

Swing one. Instant Overkill.
Swing two. Upgrade to Killtacular.
Swing three. Peak at Killpocalypse.

From that moment onward, I knew exactly how I was going to play this game from now on. Grunts, Jackals and even the occasional Brute, all fleeing from the sounds of my maniacal warcries followed with the damn-near iconic sounds of heavy Brute tech in action - all equally flying through the sky like some kind of demented celebratory confetti. And staring agape from the spawnpoint of Crater was my brother, SSMG in hand, unsure whether to take potshots at the survivors or simply let me take out the entire goddamned wave by myself.

The only thing that overcame the sheer sense of epic bloodlust that surrounded the rest of the entire match, was the instant hilarity of seeing my results on the postgame carnage screen.

7 Hammer Sprees
6 Dream Crushers
Weapon of choice: Gravity Hammer (168 kills, as opposed to my bro's 70 or so with the Automag)
Melee Kills overall: 196
Actual Score: between both of us, more than double the Achievement requirement

That all said, 5 easy steps to provoke epicness in a Firefight game:

1. Kill a chieften
2. Grab his hammer
3. Wait until Black Eye turns on
4. Camp directly underneath the next enemy drop site
5. Tell everyone to stay the **** out of your way.

The Heartbeat Sensor from MW2. Imagine what you could do with that thing.

What... Reveal the location of other players that you have problems seeking out? I find the heartbeat sensor ((outside of the campaign that is)) to be nothing other than a handicap tool/portable UAV that really just lowers the overall feel of the game while playing online. Sure it can help if your sniping or scouting the area in skirmishes, but the point is to get used to playing half blind, and this item just kills it. I wouldn't want to make gameplay easier for me when I play against others.

But thats just my 2 cents...

I'd say Hookshot but it has been mentioned, So I'll say X.L.A.A Missiles from Ace Combat Zero, These little friends can Lock on several targets at once (4), It is a nice way to destroy the enemy's air force :D

Btw, XLAA = "Advance Long-Range Anti-Air" if Im not wrong

The all star in Sonic and Sega: All-Stars racing.
Sure, the lack of using it online is a bummer, but when using it while playing with people in real life is plain hilarious to watch.

What... Reveal the location of other players that you have problems seeking out? I find the heartbeat sensor ((outside of the campaign that is)) to be nothing other than a handicap tool/portable UAV that really just lowers the overall feel of the game while playing online. Sure it can help if your sniping or scouting the area in skirmishes, but the point is to get used to playing half blind, and this item just kills it. I wouldn't want to make gameplay easier for me when I play against others

I was thinking more of in a real life situation, but I do agree with you there. The only time I ever find it useful is when playing Search and Destroy, because all the people I play with don"t use Ninja.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back