The Meaning of Life? (Serious)

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all that have discussed with me, thank you all, I have learned alot on what you think, it was fun, as well as intruiging.

After finally thinking over this for quite a while, I'd have to say you all have brought out some great arguments on the topic of god, but the story, for me, doesn't answer all the remaining questions. Saying things like only god knows, aren't answers, they're more like bland statements. Whenever I ask anyone serious questions, they either avoid them, recite a completely different answer that's too simple, or just told me to ignore the subject completely.

I understand that people have to suffer, look at third world countries. The thing I wanna know is what is god's set of moral codes. Obviously, people claim that humans can't understand the ones that god has. So why hasn't said god tried to make it easier for humans to understand? There are so many different versions of the bible that have been edited by many, many people in the past, so why not just make it possible for us to actally understand, without errors or misunderstandings, not too hard for him, right?

I would just use the bible for a reference, but most of the stories are muddled, contradictory, and has rules or lessons that should not apply for this day and age. So as for using the bible as a reference, I can't trust it, it's just too error prone.

As for now....I'll think I'll stop, seeing no more questions I want to discuss...

If the guy on the island was honestly seeking God because of the creation around him, then a Christian could be sent to minister to him. A biblical example of this is Phillip and the Ethiopian.

Oogaland said:
This thread is proceeding remarkably civilly -- nice to see. :)

Now if only it could stay On-Topic...

Seriously, it's discussing of the meaning of life, not a discussion of whether God existed or not...

If we knew what the meaning of life was, it would ruin it. Thats the reason why you're alive anyway. To have fun and find out what life means just before you die.

Hey! There are still kids here on this forum. Hm....I don't even remember when I was first told Santa Claus didn't exist. Um..oh well.

Really, if a human knows everything of what'll come and what has gone, then whats the fun of going for something?

I mean it. If you know you're gonna be a hero that'll get superpowers and save the world, or know you'll die to a horrible decease in 2 weeks...well, it'll ruin it all.

If you know you'll die in 2 weeks, you won't enjoy your last 2 weeks, since you're so afraid of the death coming to get you.

I'll Begin said:
Or like when my friend spoiled Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince for me. DAMN YOU SNAPE.

Lol. Or when... Oh wait... I can't think of anything else..... Oh I got it, when your brother emediatly tells you what you got for your birthday after you told him not to... Ok I'm done posting wierd things now.

cueball61 said:
Oogaland said:
This thread is proceeding remarkably civilly -- nice to see. :)

Now if only it could stay On-Topic...

Seriously, it's discussing of the meaning of life, not a discussion of whether God existed or not...
True... but if you don't mind, I'd still like to give my two cents on the subject, since it's already been discussed recently.

Personally, I think people just took the bible too literally and converted it into a religion. Creativity did exist back in 4000 B.C., and I'm more than willing to believe the bible really is just a library of free-verse poems stacked into one to describe earlier historical events.

I mean, think about it. In the story where everyone tries to communicate with each other to build a tower that reaches heaven, God... um, strikes a thunderbolt or something and makes everybody speak different languages. It's possible that this could be translated to there being a large civilization that was broken up by some sort of crisis, and as they got split up, the way everyone spoke differed over time, and they could no longer communicate. Another instance is that the term "turning water into wine" is most certainly a metaphor for changing something ordinary and giving it use. Same with walking on water, in which it could just mean doing something no man could think possible. Sure, it's only a theory, but I'm sure there are several similar examples in the Bible, if you flip through it with this point of view....

And to add, what I find wrong with taking the Bible literally, is that it just doesn't add up with prehistorical findings. According to the Bible, the earth was created 4,000 years ago; scientists determine by the process of carbon dating that dinosaur skeletons were buried for millions of years. It also contradicts itself in which God states in the Noah's Ark story that he regrets he ever made humans. If God is supposed to know everything, then shouldn't he have predicted they'd be so sinful in the first place? By the sound of it, he apparently didn't expect it out of ignorance. That doesn't compute.

So, yeah, I'm a bit of an atheist, as you can see. Not that I'm necessarily up for the Big Bang theory. I'd simply consider the beginning of the universe to a random enigma that we should just ignore and get on with our daily lives. My apologies for continuing the off-topic conversation, I simply felt I wanted to express my opinion on it. As for the meaning of life:

I'd rather enjoy it, help other people enjoy it, and make my life as productive as possible.

I never thought of that before but I was thinking before what its like being dead. I know its like being asleep forever with no dreams. Or if you go to church and believe there is a Heaven and Hell. You might flip a coin and get a chance of going to heaven.

Hmmm, I guess I should put my thoughts here.

I may not go to church as much as I should, but I am a Christian.
I believe God created the universe and I also believe Jesus was God's son.
I believe Jesus died for our sins.
I get simply disgusted when people deny Jesus existed.
Whether or not you believe he's God's son is up to you, but he did undeniably exist. I respect other people and their religion or lack there of just like I know I would like them to respect me and mine. I Love how the Muslims fight for their religion and are willing to die for it. Frankly most people I know, for lack of a better term, Wouldn't have the balls to do this.
I am quite disappointed in some actions of authority members in the Christian churches but these acts which I'm sure we know what I speak of, are not happening as frequently as people would like to think.
But now I'm rambling, I guess this is where this post ends.

It's all the in the Bible. Love God, serve God, love others. (Read the Bible for much further description)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back