R_Digital_race.wad (A race map.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicX8000

Graphic & Sprite Modder.
Judge
Yea... I decided I should try making one of these, not sure if its good or not, but here are the screens.

Start with tech like checker thing.

Showing some of the parts.

1st Checkpoint with a red tech flat, always for the checkpoints.

Inside of some block thing, watch out for the X's, the red dots on some sides are the ones you don't wanna pass, otherwise insta-kill. (To prevent Tails users to take the easy way.)

Slippery area with blue tech flat with some X things.

This is why you don't want to pass by those X's with red dots.

--<*SMALL UPDATE*>--

I might it a bit longer, changed the starting line thing, and made the slip area blue.

This area is now blue.

The new parts.

A more improved start checker whatever.

Right.... the new link? Let me find it... ah, here we go.

Link : http://www.sendspace.com/file/7eiwq8

Wow, you made a digitized level that i always wanted to make...
Except for.. you made it more fun, spectacular and it uberly pwners.
Even the textures kick ass.
What a Srb2 Doom builder engineering feat!

I give it a 10/10!

The good stuff in this level.

-Nice textures. It blends in with the level theme.

-It's nice & big.

The bad stuff.

-Some of the level design was cramped, and confusing especially near the yellow path, and near the 3rd ( I htink it was) checkpoint.

-The instant kill parts were annoying especially the blue room. I just went in there, and bam! dead. Not good. Also try toning the conveyer belt speed down a small bit.

-Why did you put spikes in the middle of a platform after the red diagonal spring area? I didn't expect to fly into a set of spikes after getting launched off some springs.

Rating: 7/10 good map, but some stuff needs to be looked at here.

Also hate to burst your bobble but can you do something to the 1 and 0 background as it seems far to pixelated for my likings, apart from that then nice level

A small update, made it a bit longer, removed the spiked ceiling. etc.

New link in first post.

I got the link with the spiked ceiling, so that is the one I'm reviewing.

Digital Race, 1/10

This level is truly horrible. It's not a thokfest, but that's basically the ONLY good thing about it. Otherwise, it's a perfect amalgamation of what not to do in a race. It's pretty much unplayable. It's way too long, and I had no idea that the gates were Instant Kill sectors until I looked at it in SRB2DB. The translucent wall doesn't suggest intangibililty; I went through it slowly, and I fell in the pit the first time. I got three Game Overs trying to complete the first lap. I still haven't seen the entire first lap.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
I got the link with the spiked ceiling, so that is the one I'm reviewing.

Digital Race, 1/10

This level is truly horrible. It's not a thokfest, but that's basically the ONLY good thing about it. Otherwise, it's a perfect amalgamation of what not to do in a race. It's pretty much unplayable. It's way too long, and I had no idea that the gates were Instant Kill sectors until I looked at it in SRB2DB. The translucent wall doesn't suggest intangibililty; I went through it slowly, and I fell in the pit the first time. I got three Game Overs trying to complete the first lap. I still haven't seen the entire first lap.
Aww surely you dont have to be so hard on him, i mean i sugar-coated my post somewhat, but its what i actually thought, and i still do think.

It's an interesting level, but the death gates simply have to go. In order to figure them out, you have to either read the readme (In this case the post) or die 200 times figuring it out. Which is more annoying than anything else. Besides that, there are several opportunities for Tails players to catch up with Sonic players, that you seem to have intentionally removed using them. I wish to remind you that Tails' ability to "take the easy way" is meant to be the complement for his horrible runspeed.

Also, it'd be better if in the blue room, they projected some sort of transparent FOF, and just dealed damage instead of instakill.

B.A.D. oh my gosh. The death gates were annoying due to the fact that there was very few hints of where to go. On one of those jump gates, I had to switch to knuckles, spin-jump, and then climb up. Redo this entire level and rethink you gimmicks. PLEASE.

astar said:
B.A.D. oh my gosh. The death gates were annoying due to the fact that there was very few hints of where to go. On one of those jump gates, I had to switch to knuckles, spin-jump, and then climb up. Redo this entire level and rethink you gimmicks. PLEASE.
Why redo the entire level, only because a few sectors are bad doesn't mean he has to start from scratch again.

Silent_Snipe said:
astar said:
Why redo the entire level, only because a few sectors are bad doesn't mean he has to start from scratch again.

The whole level is in that state, not just a few sectors.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
There is also the tedious repeatedly-jump-64-fracunits-to-get-up-the-stairs technique which is a bad idea for ANY gametype in SRB2, especially Race.
A fair alternative could be to keep the stairs, but have vertical springs at the foot of them. That way you can still have the aesthetics of having stairs, but not disrupt flow by slowing everyone down. (This is also why I said vertical springs, so that players keep their momentum, rather than slowing down/speeding up like when they hit a diagonal spring.

EDIT: Actually downloaded the thing, rather than just making a comment based on someone else's observations. Those 'red x' walls need to either be made way more obvious, or removed completely. I mean, you've completely crippled Tails, weakened Knuckles, and removed pretty much all creativity that a player could do. Even cutting corners is penalised, which is such a shame in a level that pretends to be as open as this.

I don't know why people would hate this level, i like it because it's challenging, and the people who wouldn't like it just cant handle a good challenge!

While this level does have consecutive deaths, I find this level to be quite fun and challenging. This is coming from a person who rarely sees and plays good levels.

The only gripes I had was with those upward wind sectors carrying the player upward, and the blue area within the map.
Regarding the blue area, I say you should make it so that it's easier to tell when the floor is slippery, also with what Draykon said, somehow make those damage sectors instead of instakill sectors.
Also with those wind sectors, I think you should make the third one easier to cross. I found it almost impossible to cross over.

All in all, I'd say this map is about an 8/10
Props for a challenging level.
But not for the crossings. *angryface*

Also, SRB2WikiSonicMaster, you have to be at least somewhat lenient with this level. Really though, I only died twice when I reached the third lap. From what I can gather, you're being too severe about the deaths that happen in the map instead of focusing on how the map looks regarding scenery. Really though, at least give it points on that.

With the cheapness removed, the zone could make a potentially epic Single Player stage. This works horribly for Circuit. And yes, the third current is almost impossible because of how low the ceiling is. The digital gimmick didn't get to me because I already played his Digital Battle Zone. The idea of a digital zone is really cool, but that level was simply too big for Match. In fact, the visuals were getting in the way of Digital Battle, because death pits were very well camouflaged. Also, the binary sky texture didn't look too nice against the green floors and walls in Digital Race Zone.

Still can't get past the first lap. I rest my case, 1/10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back