Srb2 Workbench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shardvex

I have heard some references to a program called Srb2 Workbench on the IRC. I have looked everywhere for it, but I can't find it. I was wondering, could someone show me where to get the program, and it's source? (If the source is available. :P)

I have it, but I had to ask around for it too. Considering the hoops you have to jump through to get it, it is not worth it. SRB2 Workbench is unfinished, and at the moment you'll have much more luck with SRB2DB.

Actually, I still want to check it out. Including the source, if it is available. (You see, I probably will do some tinkering with the code. :P)

'Sides, Shardvex likes to jump through hoops. Rawr.

Also, what do you mean hoops?

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Update: Seems like using my extraordinary skills (Just kidding), I have figured out the srb2 workbench password. But it seems like the srb2 workbench site is down. Now what?

Last edited:
Actually, I still want to check it out. Including the source, if it is available. (You see, I probably will do some tinkering with the code. :P)

'Sides, Shardvex likes to jump through hoops. Rawr.

Also, what do you mean hoops?

---------- Post added at 11:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:15 AM ----------

Update: Seems like using my extraordinary skills (Just kidding), I have figured out the srb2 workbench password. But it seems like the srb2 workbench site is down. Now what?

Using even greater skills, you could checkout the source from the SVN server and compile that, hint-hint.

I have it, but I had to ask around for it too. Considering the hoops you have to jump through to get it, it is not worth it. SRB2 Workbench is unfinished, and at the moment you'll have much more luck with SRB2DB.

Ahem, WB is easier to use than DB. It's features are better, too.

Like Ability to stitch vertices to any line at any point, ability to overlap sectors without errors (Creating a new sector where the intersection is), An easier FOF creator, Etc. I LOVE IT

I really think the only major con with WB, is that it doesn't have 3D mode implemented. Also possibly, I could even get around to improving WB, since the source is available. Not to mention, the SRB2DB won't run on my old PC, but WB will. I LOVE IT ALSO.

Like Ability to stitch vertices to any line at any point, ability to overlap sectors without errors (Creating a new sector where the intersection is), An easier FOF creator, Etc. I LOVE IT

FOF Creator? It doesn't take half a brain to make an FOF yourself. That, and the FOF creator is probably much more limited than doing it yourself, too.

Who cares about 3D mode, it's pointless. I don't need it anyway.

I can tell you haven't done any major map designing.

3D mode is an absolute necessity to determine how an area of map looks without taking the time to start the game outright.

Yeah, I'm with Inu. 3D Mode is really useful beacuse there I can look how my stage is before testing, fix errors, and according to Shardvex, texture alignment. And yes, a FOF Creator would take minus time. If we want to make a more complex FOF, just modify it as you like.

Maybe 3D mode should be implemented to WB sometime. (Oogaland, hint-hint!)

Also, 3D mode is very nice for texture aligning as I said, but then there is the skill of being able to see your map in your head. (Not nearly as nice as actually seeing it though.)

Like Ability to stitch vertices to any line at any point
SRB2DB can do that, just drag it into the line. You may have to turn "Snap To Grid" off.

ability to overlap sectors without errors (Creating a new sector where the intersection is)
SRB2DB can do that, just click right next to any vertex in lines mode and a new line will appear from it. Again, turning "Snap to Grid" off makes things easier.

An easier FOF creator
Now that is something that can come in handy, I admit, especially for custom FOFs. Also, the automatic polygon creator can speed up the process a tiny bit in maps with many regular polygons, but that's a really minor benefit IMO.

But then again, I'll take 3D Mode over those benefits any day. Also, there's no curving tool and no gradient tool, both of which are very important.

Also, 3D mode is very nice for texture aligning as I said, but then there is the skill of being able to see your map in your head. (Not nearly as nice as actually seeing it though.)
It's also very helpful for quick-adjust textures and sector heights, and therefore makes it tons easier to produce good maps, because you can change the appearance at a whim. Fine-tuning is essential for making good maps, and 3D Mode is essential for fine-tuning. What you see in your head will never be the same thing that you create in the map editor, and 3D Mode helps bridging that gap.

Last edited:
What I see in my head is 99% accurate compared to in the game; go find some imagination people. :3
Well, WB is more suitible for me. I'm glad my brother downloaded it (before his retardation attacked). However, it was accidently deleted by my mom. X3

What I see in my head is 99% accurate compared to in the game; go find some imagination people. :3
To be perfectly honest, when I think of the only level I've ever seen from you, I'm not sure if that's a good thing. Just try to imagine a level like ERZ2 all in your head and perfectly rebuilding it from your memory. Impossible, right.

Well, WB is more suitible for me.
I'd really like to know why. Dunno, maybe I'm missing out some awesome feature.

Btw, that release was intended as a joke you know.
Anyway, you test a level and create images inside your mind and build upon that. :)

Unfortunately for me, I can't even imagine my bedroom (a very complex place you know), so thats why I still use DB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back